Chesterfield Canal

seadog42uk

Featured Posts

Queen of the Chesterfield? I think not, she has only ever had the opportunity to chug a couple of fairly short stretches. I have done even less than that but between us we know the people who do know.

NB Python which is operated by The Chesterfield Canal Trust overwinters at Shire Oaks also has a draft of 3'3" so the crew bring her that far up the Chesterfield and back again each spring and autumn.

I would say there are places where the botton is very near the top along there but I suspect if you are used to handling a boat with a 3'3" draft then you will be used to there being the odd place when any canal feels a little more like a roller coaster than a navigation. The usual rules apply, stay as close the centre of the navigation as you can and you will be just fine.

It is well worth the trip as it is a very beautiful stretch of canal and you will enjoy it. I expect you have already been to The Chesterfield Canal Trust Website which will give you lots of information about the history of the canal and interesting places to take in along he way.

If you need any other information just ask because we probably know someone who does know the answer even if we don't

NB Earnest is 27" draught and we have never had trouble with depth...and that was right up to the tunnel. Weed in the Ranby pound was a problem, but I believe that is kept under better control now.

Be saw NB Bath on one of our travels and that was in the worse bit and chugging along OK.

Turnerwood was stunning, one of the nicest flights in the country...and that was just after it had been restored...it must be even more beautiful, now it has matured.

Likewise, twice I've been all the way to the tunnel portal, on a boat built to historic tug proportions (believe it draws 2ft 9in). Yes there are bits where progress is slower than others. Weed was a far bigger problem than depth, so go early in the season before it takes over...

There was an historic boat rally at Retford about 18 months back and several of the attendees continued up to Worksop and back, 'Chertsey' included. At the time they couldn't get further than Stret Lock, though I understand this pinch point has now been addressed.... :closedeyes:

The profile of the canal means that if you depart from the centre of the canal you will probably touch bottom quite easily, and you certainly won't be able to get to the bank at most places other than the recognised moorings or landings, but I can't comment about the depth in the centre of the channel because we only draw 2ft - except to say that we had no depth problems at all

NB Python which is operated by The Chesterfield Canal Trust overwinters at Shire Oaks also has a draft of 3'3" so the crew bring her that far up the Chesterfield and back again each spring and autumn.

That makes the OP's draught 6" shallower than Python which should make a big difference.

Likewise, twice I've been all the way to the tunnel portal, on a boat built to historic tug proportions (believe it draws 2ft 9in). Yes there are bits where progress is slower than others. Weed was a far bigger problem than depth, so go early in the season before it takes over...

There was an historic boat rally at Retford about 18 months back and several of the attendees continued up to Worksop and back, 'Chertsey' included. At the time they couldn't get further than Stret Lock, though I understand this pinch point has now been addressed.... :closedeyes:

One time on the Chesterfield, coming out of Retford we met a bloke who was just putting a new (quite meaty) drive coupling on his boat "You won't get up there!" he shouted :P

We have been all the way to the tunnel in the hireboats that operate from the basin at West Stockwith and in places we were scraping the bottom. I do believe that BW (as was) did quite a bit of dredging a couple of years ago at the request of the owner of the hire company. Certainly dredgers were there last year when we walked a part of it past Shireoaks Basin.

Its a very pretty canal and I would recommend it to anyone.

We moor Stalwart on the Chesterfield and have a draught of about 2'6.

It can be slow going, you do scrape the bottom now and then and the weed, well let's not mention the weed

but it is beautiful and peaceful with very little traffic and some rather good pubs.

Well worth the effort all year round.

IMG_1976_zps6234d99d.jpg

IMG_3841_zps11f0d2af.jpg

IMG_4071_zps4626b912.jpg

IMG_4191_zps2a3ee922.jpg

DSC00380_zps15475c5e.jpg

DSC00448_zpse2947343.jpg

It can be slow going, you do scrape the bottom now and then and the weed, well let's not mention the weed

but it is beautiful and peaceful with very little traffic and some rather good pubs.

Well worth the effort all year round.

What lovely picces...have you got any more of Turnerwood / Thorpe?

Thanks for sharing those lovely pictures.

It is true that I have a very limited knowledge of the Chesterfield Canal. This is mainly because I have only lived in the area 3 years and our boat is moored too far away to weekend up here. The bits I have done have either been on foot or on Python. This is something I hope to recitify a little more this year. and your gorgeous photo's and the other peole who have shared their experiences of it have jogged my memory that it is something I need to do.

• 1 year later...

Well worth the effort

Great looking boat - we came past it today in our grey tug. Hence the tug-tug admiration!

Who built it? What engine?

Thank you, sorry we missed you.

It was built by Roger Fuller and has a Gardner 3L2.

We're coming through to the boat tomorrow, I'm sure our friends will tell us all about another tug going past, they don't miss a single boat.

Hope you're enjoying the beauty of the Chesterfield.

When you're at Shireoaks it's worth walking down to The Hewitt Arms at Shireoaks Hall, we moor at Cinderhill Lock and walk down the towpath, lovely on a nice evening.