Peter Keay wooden narrowboat

shaun.mack

Featured Posts

Thank you. Yep, understand why people have reservations. Think Friday's shape would be worth copying in steel as its so unique

To quote Dave Moore (who I think was quoting someone else himself) - the builders who could do that properly could all get in the same taxi.

Compliments on your fine work.

Edited by andywatson

That sounds better.

I just wonder whether the internal, longitudinal, planking is a later addition? Maybe the knees were cut back to accommodate it?

Tim

I guess that could of happened Tim, but doubt it, everything looked so original.

I trying to remember how the frame which Ken had worked, he had spent a lot of time designing it and making it work. If you look at the front end of Friday you will see that the top plank doesn't cant in as far as a traditional wooden boat, this is so the frame could be lifted out however it does mean that the front end strength isn't as great, suspect this isn't a problem for a pleasure boat it will not have 20 odd tons on board and be banging into top cills. The frame came as a front and back section, building straight bits is easy, and these sections split into three parts, it all being bolted together. This was so that he could be removed from inside the finished hull. The timbers were formed onto the frame and then the knees were inserted afterwards, this gave them something to pull the planks down onto which would not distort, getting the cross bracing in the frame was the art. Wish I'd taken pictures, I suspect people like Tony Lowery did, must ask him next time I see him.

--

Cheers Ian Mac

I trying to remember how the frame which Ken had worked, he had spent a lot of time designing it and making it work. If you look at the front end of Friday you will see that the top plank doesn't cant in as far as a traditional wooden boat, this is so the frame could be lifted out however it does mean that the front end strength isn't as great, suspect this isn't a problem for a pleasure boat it will not have 20 odd tons on board and be banging into top cills. The frame came as a front and back section, building straight bits is easy, and these sections split into three parts, it all being bolted together. This was so that he could be removed from inside the finished hull. The timbers were formed onto the frame and then the knees were inserted afterwards, this gave them something to pull the planks down onto which would not distort, getting the cross bracing in the frame was the art. Wish I'd taken pictures, I suspect people like Tony Lowery did, must ask him next time I see him.

--

Cheers Ian Mac

That also means that it's easier to find timber for the top bend ;)

Tim

Hi, Steel was put inside as i hoped that it would give me the option to go into dry docks when required rather than a slipway.From what im told the piller spacings are designed for steel boats (understandably) and a wooden boat might flex and open joint ups. (not good)

She'd have been fine in dry dock and, if you did notice any sagging, you just jack it up with bottle jacks.

I didnt think the bottom planks were rotten, it was just that they had worn thin on the ends. (Plenty of evidence of water erosion) originally they were 2" / 2.5" thick. Hence why i decided not to replace the entire bottom but over plank with 1" oakand i thought it would provide further rigidity

I would have re-sheared the bottoms on the inside with lashings of Charlie (or bituminous roof repair mastic for the Philistines) and replaced any really thin stuff.

Over-planking worn bottoms just introduces loads of voids that will accelerate rot.

Hi

Feel sure I haven’t introduced any voids as the original underside was first planned / sanded flat and any indents were filled with black pudding mix from traditional boat suppliers. Then a layer of coal tar and pitch mixture was applied prior to fitting the over planking. The over planks were then coated in the coal tar and pitch mixture and the two surfaces pressed to one other with hydraulic jacks before the fixings were put in place. For several months prior to this the hull, internally and externally, including the underside had at least 3 coats of industrial solvent based wood preservative (Not your diy stuff) as the last thing I wanted was any reoccurring problems as I intended to keep Friday for many years. However, for various reasons we don’t think narrow boating is for us.

Those that are moaning about the quality of the work on this boat really ought to have put their money where their mouth was several years ago when it was up for sale.

This boat was moored a couple of bays up from mine and it was in a bad way. For example the then-owner would put the hosepipe in the water tank whilst 'worst for wear', then doze off on the sofa. The overflow didn't reach the outside of the hull (broken pipe, presumably?), so it would eventually fill up the bilges. Worst I've seen it is with the canal less than 1/2" below the engine bay grilles, about 11pm one night.

Although it was in a shocking state I always felt quite fond of this boat and would have restored it myself if I could. When it went I was very worried it had been destroyed, so I'm glad it's still around and has had some TLC. Time will tell if the changes you've made will last, but at the very worst it's bought it another 5 years when it could have gone forever. So thanks for making the effort.

Edited by sociable_hermit

Those that are moaning about the quality of the work on this boat really ought to have put their money where their mouth was several years ago when it was up for sale.

With respect, just to keep the record straight, I've spent 40 odd years keeping one wooden boat going, and been involved with helping with several others. We have kept ours going without any grants or gifts, she isn't like Gifford or Stour a totally new boat built professionally, we have just repaired, big repairs, but still repaired, a bit like the Irishmans spade. I've rebuilt our front end twice now! I've tried to teach the next generation how to do it, and others along the way. The art is not to waste your effort and money, and to ask people, lots of people, how they do it, and why, Try your ideas out sound them out they will tell you. As some one has pointed out, all of those that can do this properly probably could all fit in a taxi, although it is always nice to meet a newcomer to the group, and attempt to help them along, with the benefit of our experience. I do this as a hobby (labour of love) not a job.

If any of you would like to learn, I'm sure the lot doing the Hazel rebuild would be as welcoming as we try to be, so that's two to choose from. Oh! and there is the new build of the Chesterfield boat, but that's a new team, but they are asking questions all the time :) Our next docking starts the 8th March, during which beside the regular annual maintenance we will be seeing how big a job we have on our hands for the back end rebuild, which will have to happen soon, its nearly 30 years since we last did it! That will be an interesting job getting the prop aligned correctly, in fact its a real bugger of a job, as I remember from the last time I touched a stern post.

Wooden boats sink all the time, you just have to be on top of it, and catch them before they really go down.

They also rot all the time, the process of steaming the timber to form them to shape knackers the wood to start with, that's why it bends, its then just a long race to stop it going down hill too fast, keeping the water out helps, rain water is a bugger, it gets in all the joints on the inside and rots its way out, so you may think all is well but it an't. Using the wrong materials is another bugger, we couldn't afford galvanised nails when we started, so had to rely on making sure the heads were treated properly, it works to a degree, but we now swear any iron at all, must be galvanised, if it touches the wood, and we also do the old way as well to help along, hopefully this is better, only time will tell.

--

cheers Ian Mac

This boat was moored a couple of bays up from mine and it was in a bad way. For example the then-owner would put the hosepipe in the water tank whilst 'worst for wear', then doze off on the sofa. The overflow didn't reach the outside of the hull (broken pipe, presumably?), so it would eventually fill up the bilges. Worst I've seen it is with the canal less than 1/2" below the engine bay grilles, about 11pm one night.

Although it was in a shocking state I always felt quite fond of this boat and would have restored it myself if I could. When it went I was very worried it had been destroyed, so I'm glad it's still around and has had some TLC. Time will tell if the changes you've made will last, but at the very worst it's bought it another 5 years when it could have gone forever. So thanks for making the effort.

Thanks, your post is really interesting particularly as you have first hand memories of Friday and I hasten to say, really appreciated, however having said that, im not saying that other less favourable posts aren’t. I very much believe that people are entitled to an opinion particularly when I have specifically asked for it. (Only got myself to blame) For me, its all about the tone in which its written, i.e., whether its constructive or unconstructive criticism / feedback and I guess as most will understand, the interruption of such can change depending on ones mood at the time of reading. (Likewise when writing)

It’s something that crosses my path on a daily basis being a production manager for an engineering business owned by a large American corporation. (Americans expect and do things differently) and something that I’m fully accustomed to dealing with even if at times it disappoints.

Yes, at the time I was new to boating, to be honest; I would say I still am. I invested 2 years of my time, i.e., every weekend, every holiday I was entitled too along with around £15k of capital (Plus the purchase of Friday) not because I wanted to sell and make a profit, but because I wanted to own a narrowboat for years to come that was in some respects unique to most of the boats you see.

As for the 5 years, I guess only time will tell, year 1 is fast approaching so 4 to go if the experts are right! (Wonder if a small wager is appropriate as i beg to differ, although agree that some works will need to be carried out, but hey, thats wooden boats isnt it? )

Sorry I was a bit busy at the time with other wooden boats but I did consider it. :rolleyes:

Oh and I did not question the quality of the work at all, merely the unconventional methods.

The things done to the boat may well keep it going for a few more years but will deter the purists as it would involve some major dismantling, before restoration can begin again.

When I got my first wooden boat I did some stupid things to it which were done to the highest of standards, thanks to my joinery knowledge, before a boatbuilder took me under his wing and made me unlearn some things.

Hi, would like to invite any comments on the above topic. Boat / work on it etc can be viewed at narrowboatfriday.simplesite.com

Thanks

Shaun

That is one heck of a carpentry project you have undertaken - not one for the faint hearted. Hopefully we will see Friday bobbing round the cut for another couple of decades. Andy

Hi Andy

Yep, it certainly was and there were times when i couldnt see the light at the end of the tunnel. Tried to approach from the perspective of being faced with eating an elephant. Just one bit at a time!

Thanks for comments.

Regards

Shaun

• 2 weeks later...

website up-dated to include photo's of original "For Sale" advert from the 1970's. Interesting reading also comments from Keith Paradise who remebers Friday being built.

If anyone wants to know more about the keays boat yard this is the guy to talk too.

• 7 years later...