Do I need a stainless steel calorifier?

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I need a new calorifier and I have an Alde Gas Boiler. I know that copper shouldn't be used in the heating system because of galvanic corrosion in the boiler. I had assumed though that I could get a copper calorifier so long as the heating coils weren't copper too. That way the water passing through the boiler will never come into contact with the copper. Does that make sense?

I just read here: My link that I do need a stainless steel calorifier. My local engineer says I don't.

I'm confused. Who is right?

You only need to use the S/S calorifier, and other s/s pipe etc, with the new alde. If you have the old upright slim one, you don't need it.

ie, it's the Alde compact (a boxy unit) you need to use the s/s with, not the Alde Comfort (tall upright slim unit).

Edited by Ally

I love my much maligned Alde! It works well, heats up quick, makes virtually no noise at all, is clean and since servicing has become very efficient too! Why someone would pay 2 or 3 times the price for a noisy diesel thingy is beyond me.

• Greenie 1