Disaster! help!

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Curiously, there is railway history before 1961

There were two classes of 0-8-0 compound, three cylinder 'A' class and four cylinder 'B' class. There were built after the experimental simple, two cylinder 0-8-0 at a time when the LNWR had given up building 0-6-0s for goods use (compare with MR practice)

Webb's 4-4-0 compounds (Jubilees and Alfred the Greats) were pretty successful passenger locomotives

What you are repeating (incorrectly) are the apocryphal stories, probably spread by Ahron,s about the 1880s 2-2-2-0 three cylinder passenger locomotives. For example:

http://www.steaminde...people/webb.htm

There are two very good reasons why the early compounds didn't last long. Firstly, in the early stages of learning about compounds, Webb picked the wrong arrangement for a three cylinder compound, meaning the two putside cylinders were only just big enough to lift a train. The Smith arrangement used by the Midland was the right choice as it could be used as a three cylinder simple for starting. Secondly, the massive growth in traffic around the turn of the last century meant that they were all too small for the work. Crewe were pretty pragmatic, so into the pot they went

Richard

Facinating NOT!!!!

Not much help to the OP either

A

Curiously, there is railway history before 1961

The Smith arrangement used by the Midland was the right choice

Did I suggest that there wasn't railway history before 1961? That's about the time that I was old enough to begin taking a serious interest in it, though. I have owned that Ahrons book for many years so that is probably where I got the information about the poor performance of some earlier LNWER compounds.

Pleased to see that you admit the superiority of the Midland design. :P

And if you leave it connected while you run the pump and taps through a couple of cycles you will not only the accumulator pressure but also the pump cutoff pressure.

Exactamento what I do..!!

Great to see there are other great minds out there..that think alike...

We have a calorifier with expansion tank and it vents a little out of the 3 bar prv everytime its heated from cold. Alternatively, I understand some dont have non return valve in the feed pipe, so slightly naughty make use of the main accumulator by the pump, if you have one of those.

Also, if you dont already, fit a isolation valve into the cold feed so you can at least turn the cold water back on!

Daniel

We have a calorifier with expansion tank and it vents a little out of the 3 bar prv everytime its heated from cold. Alternatively, I understand some dont have non return valve in the feed pipe, so slightly naughty make use of the main accumulator by the pump, if you have one of those.

Also, if you dont already, fit a isolation valve into the cold feed so you can at least turn the cold water back on!

Daniel

I can confirm that cold is back on.