What's It Like In Winter (on a boat)

Doorman

Featured Posts

Essential is you are still "getting to know your stove" as we are. And I'd rather do that than be cold.

Funny you should say that.

After three years of virtually live aboard life on our old tub, we're just about mastering the fine art of Squirreling. Even morso since I visited their web site and discovered that most of the stoves imported into the UK, are fitted with two 8mm washers on the bolt that retains the bottom spinner. This is because primarily, in the scandi countries, they're used as wood burning stoves and rarely use coal.

The bottom spinner regulates air flow for solid fuel (coal) and the upper one controls air flow for wood. Another great idea that I learnt on here, is to buy a couple of inserts that fit either side of the fire box and snuggle up to the fire bricks. These funnel the coal into the central griddle area of the stove and make for a more efficient burn. I believe that they should be standard issue on UK imported models.

Once you remove these washers but remember to put a drop of locktite on the bolt threads on reassembly, you will then find that the stove works even better without the need to leave the bottom door ajar. Which is a technique that is frowned upon by the manufacturers. Moreover, the removal of the 'door stop' tab that prevents the lower door from being opened when the upper door is closed, is definitely not recommended!

We're convinced that if landlubbers were to experience the warmth and comfort that the multi-fuel stoves radiate on our boats, then they'd never ask that age old question; "what's it like in winter?". :rolleyes:

Edited by Doorman

I've found it alot cheaper and more peaceful than having a flat for during the week. I would imagine its easier to live every day on the boat than half on half off.

It is, even in winter and cheaper too!

We used to pop back to the house during the week and return to the boat every weekend. Then we reversed that strategy and only returned to the house at weekends. Now we only return to the house every 31st of February and that's only to see if it's still there and the off-spring haven't sold it on Fleabay! :unsure:

You all make me so happy saying how warm it is because I'm always worrying about my brother when it's freezing. I must say I was surprised how little heating boats seem to need to stay warm. His seems quite warm even with just an aladdin paraffin stove going. I'm not sure how super the fumes are from those long term. We're not fitted with anything to monitor that yet. I think it is unfinished enough not to be worried about getting any fresh air... lol.

It is, even in winter and cheaper too!

We used to pop back to the house during the week and return to the boat every weekend. Then we reversed that strategy and only returned to the house at weekends. Now we only return to the house every 31st of February and that's only to see if it's still there and the off-spring haven't sold it on Fleabay! :unsure:

31st of February? :lol: Have you left the offspring in a parallel universe?

You all make me so happy saying how warm it is because I'm always worrying about my brother when it's freezing. I must say I was surprised how little heating boats seem to need to stay warm. His seems quite warm even with just an aladdin paraffin stove going. I'm not sure how super the fumes are from those long term. We're not fitted with anything to monitor that yet. I think it is unfinished enough not to be worried about getting any fresh air... lol.

Please get a carbon monoxide alarm, any fumes can build up in the body to cause trouble or death. Not worth the risk. I do hope the stove is fixed so it can't fall over. Trouble with Bss and insurance come to mind

Oh -- Doesn't it have adjustable air vents that enable yoou to sped-up/slow-down the combustion rate?

It may do if we ever get the flue sorted. They don't work too well as we can't get enough up draught unless its stoked right up. I know we need to get a double skinned one and an insulated chimney. I'll get it done in the spring. It's too cold outside now and nice and warm inside. I've re read that and I hope it makes sense.

Please get a carbon monoxide alarm, any fumes can build up in the body to cause trouble or death. Not worth the risk. I do hope the stove is fixed so it can't fall over. Trouble with Bss and insurance come to mind

Will certainly get one. In fact I shall right now on the pute. There is certainly ventilation enough not to worry about fumes I hope and I think I read somewhere that as long as a paraffin heater burns with a blue flame and with enough oxygen, that the fumes were near zero. We haven't left the marina yet. Early days. There isn't even a floor to fix the heater to yet.... lol.

Will certainly get one. In fact I shall right now on the pute. There is certainly ventilation enough not to worry about fumes I hope and I think I read somewhere that as long as a paraffin heater burns with a blue flame and with enough oxygen, that the fumes were near zero. We haven't left the marina yet. Early days. There isn't even a floor to fix the heater to yet.... lol.

Well - - - it's a good winter to test the heating out then!!! (Brrrr!)

Tho' I should mention that paraffin heaters create loads of moisture/condensation - - and that a solid fuel stove will not only be warmer, but be much more comfortable too

He seems quite warm even with just an aladdin paraffin stove going.

Hi Boatymum,

We had one of those Aladin stoves on our first boat. It always seemed to respond well if you rubbed it on the side!

Cheers,

Al. E. Babba

31st of February? :lol: Have you left the offspring in a parallel universe?

Hi Smiffy,

I do hope that you got the inference that we very rarely visit the house by the suspect date. :P

Just ordered this on ebay

Fireangel WCO-628 Wi-Safe Remote Carbon Monoxide Poisonous Digital Gas Alarm

So thank you all for making us safer

Edited by boatymum

Just ordered this on ebay

Fireangel WCO-628 Wi-Safe Remote Carbon Monoxide Poisonous Digital Gas Alarm

So thank you all for making us safer

That's the one and its sister smoke alarm WSI-601 can also be synchronised to the remote handset that seconds as a torch to guide you through any smoke filled area. We've positioned the handset in the bedroom which is just as well, because when my head hits the pillow Big Ben would struggle to wake me.

A must if you value your safety!

Edited by Doorman

POSSIBLE VIRUS ? MALWARE

Just a bit of a warning guys...I clicked on the above link and luckily my antivirus blocked the ebay site as having a suspicious file this was the response

avast! saved your computer from crashing

You just dodged a bullet

You may be wondering how you ended up with a virus, especially if you were visiting a 'normal' site. The latest research from the avast! Virus Lab shows that more than 80% of malware (viruses, spyware, and the like) spreads through legitimate websites, with only 1% coming from suspicious or 'dodgy' sites.

Good thing avast! had your back.

Infection Details

URL:http://www.mosexpo-batteries.com/images/... Process:C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox... Infection:HTML:Iframe-inf

Mind how you go...

Tony

Edited by El Perro Negro

POSSIBLE VIRUS ? MALWARE

Just a bit of a warning guys...I clicked on the above link and luckily my antivirus blocked the ebay site as having a suspicious file this was the response

avast! saved your computer from crashing

You just dodged a bullet

You may be wondering how you ended up with a virus, especially if you were visiting a 'normal' site. The latest research from the avast! Virus Lab shows that more than 80% of malware (viruses, spyware, and the like) spreads through legitimate websites, with only 1% coming from suspicious or 'dodgy' sites.

Good thing avast! had your back.

Infection Details

URL:http://www.mosexpo-batteries.com/images/... Process:C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox... Infection:HTML:Iframe-inf

Mind how you go...

Tony

Cheers Tony,

We have Avast together with Malaware and both anti-virus programs regularly report potential infiltration of damaging files.

What really annoys us, is what sort of satisfaction do these nerdy types who create the viruses get from their actions. Sad bastards! :angry: