Traveling on a canal at night?

Foxtrot

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

But that's just the thing. You can see where you are going without the need for a huge spotlight. Your eyes adjust to the dark and you can see a good distance in front of you.

Until of course some dim wit comes the other way with their concentration camp style flood light shining in your eyes that then ruins your night vision :angry:

Wholeheartedly agree. Using a tunnel light or strong searchlight may be counterproductive, and can ruin your night vision. It is useful, however, to have a torch handy to  identify specific objects/obstructions if necessary. 

lShips bridges are always dark at night , especially so when transiting canals or busy rivers., and they don't carry headlights, although they may use a searchlight for short periods if necessary.

Howard

I remember a story I was told.    During the blackouts in the second world war, canal boats were prohibited from using headlights the same as everyone else.   One dark foggy night a boatman was making his way along the GU when he saw a feint orange glow ahead which seemed to be coming towards him.    As it got closer he also heard the sound of a motor, and when the orange glow passed by her saw it was a fag in the mouth of a steerer, whose boat had by then almost completely passed him by.

12 minutes ago, Waterway2go said:

I remember a story I was told.    During the blackouts in the second world war, canal boats were prohibited from using headlights the same as everyone else.   One dark foggy night a boatman was making his way along the GU when he saw a feint orange glow ahead which seemed to be coming towards him.    As it got closer he also heard the sound of a motor, and when the orange glow passed by her saw it was a fag in the mouth of a steerer, whose boat had by then almost completely passed him by.

In modern times there'd almost certainly be a crash as the massive vapour cloud created a latter-day repentant smoker would not be visible at night... although the unmistakable aroma of cherries in vanilla panacotta with a drizzle of basil jus may alert you,  depending on the wind direction.

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

7 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Strongly agree. My last night trip was on the Cam and Ely Ouse, lit by only nav lights and the moon. I find a spotlight or searchlight disorienting, actually, and it adversely affects your own night vision (as well as people coming the other way!). If anything a canal has "harder" edges than a river, so it's even easier to spot the water's edge.

But again you are talking about rivers. I can’t see how you can deal with narrow locks and bridges without turning a light on as you approach.  For me at least, I can not make out the edges in the dark.

20 minutes ago, john6767 said:

But again you are talking about rivers. I can’t see how you can deal with narrow locks and bridges without turning a light on as you approach.  For me at least, I can not make out the edges in the dark.

Each to their own, of course. And I do have quite a bright nav light now (LED).

I should have said that when getting on and off the boat, or working locks, I normally have some extra lighting on (my new headtorch is good, otherwise the searchlight controlled from the back of the boat), not least so I can see where I am putting my feet etc. 

The Stort which is largely tree lined can be absolutely pitch black on overcast nights with no moon or stars. I use an oblong wide angle short range car driving lamp. Its the banks on either side a short way ahead that you need to be able to see.

• 5 months later...

Hi Canalworlders, Big Tom Wide Girth Warrior here,

Planning a trip through the old Blisworth tunnel next month and looking at lighting..

would you recomnend a 1,000,000 or a 5,000,000 candle flashlight to illuminate my path?

ive got a massive disco ball on top of my vessel to alert others of my presence also

cheers, Big Tom W G W

8 hours ago, Big Tom Wide Girth Warrior said:

Hi Canalworlders, Big Tom Wide Girth Warrior here,

Planning a trip through the old Blisworth tunnel next month and looking at lighting..

would you recomnend a 1,000,000 or a 5,000,000 candle flashlight to illuminate my path?

ive got a massive disco ball on top of my vessel to alert others of my presence also

cheers, Big Tom W G W

Having once held a late night party in Braunston tunnel, I recommend the disco ball. The light and sound effects in a tunnel are fun :)

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

Having once held a late night party in Braunston tunnel, I recommend the disco ball. The light and sound effects in a tunnel are fun :)

I had a couple of small maplins disco lights which were brilliant in the tunnels,  I only have one left after sticking one on a remote control boat. It was fine going in a straight line but didn't take the corner well......

• 2 months later...
On 19/01/2013 at 01:45, Ange said:

Absolutely no rules against cruising at night, unless you're a hire boater where the terms of hire forbid it.

We haven't yet because we only have a tunnel light rather than a proper navigation light, but I'm sure that hasn't stopped others.

And I'm a great believer that there's no such thing as a stupid question - just people who need to know stuff asking people who might know the answer :cheers:

What are you on about there’s know we’re to go your in a narrow drain !!!!!

On 16/02/2018 at 15:35, Waterway2go said:

Tied at Willington waiting to offload concrete piles early 60's pitch black& then a thunder storm after lightening had passed & it had returned to pitch black heard a motor sound some minuets later "josher" fore end slid by no light of any description so dark couldn't make out boats name or reconise the steerer how he could make out where he was & were to steer I know not but he seemed to be managing OK 

• Happy 1

Went cruising at night - and through the Braunston tunnel - the first day I got my boat just over a week ago. Which just happened to be the first day I'd ever driven a narrowboat...

Really enjoyed it, was quite special cruising by starlight, and also got a bat flying down the tunnel with me. I do have lots of really bright lights, so set one pointing up on the roof just in front of me along with the tunnel light (also pointing a bit up) and as advised with all the interior lights on and curtains open. Didn't bother with interior lights again and just made do with the tunnel light in shorter tunnels which worked fine. Also finished the Buckby flight in the dark (and later the end of the Hatton flight) and didn't really have any problems - wasn't really that hard (though I do have decent lights and a lot of experience of doing stuff in the dark).

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It was lost in the night. 

Perhaps it should have had some ridiculously bright lights on to guide its way?

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It was lost in the night. 

Perhaps it should have had some ridiculously bright lights on to guide its way?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, aracer said:

Hmm, this thread seems to have been seriously modded, including a post I made which was totally inoffensive...

When did you post your lost post? 

As Rob says, about 24 hours of posts on here were lost during a forum glitch a few days back. There is a thread about it.