Where to go from Napton?

hardcrab

Featured Posts

I have only just come to this thread, We moor at Napton so know all the ways out quite well,and we always have a conference to decide which way to go

Hardest work:- Up the Northern Grand Union to Birmingham, the top end after Catherine de Barnes not very attractive with a lot of litter/graffitti. The bonus is Gas Street Basin with lots of retuaraunts etc.

Still hard work but prettier:- Up the Northern Grand Union and onto the Northern Stratford/Worcester and Birmingham to Birmingham

Prettiest and most Rural:- Down the Southern Oxford to Oxford. The one we are probably doing this year, and then up to Lechlade on the Thames.

Quite a lot of work, but interesting, quite rural and plenty of places to stop:- Down the Southern Grand Union towards the Home counties.

Quite a bit of work but very interesting:- as above but turn off at Norton Junction onto the Leicester section up to Market Harborough, takes you through Watford and Foxton Staircase locks.

Least attractive, but not much work:- Northern Oxford to Hawkesbury onto the Coventry, and then the Birmingham and Fazely. A useful diversion might be The Coventry canal into Coventry, it is a bit of a challenge in places, but Coventry itself is well worth exploring.

Nice after a few days with (almost no locks):- Same as above, but turn off the Coventry onto the Ashby

The one we haven't tried (well not for nearly 40 years):- Down Southern Grand Union and turn off at Gayton Junction, onto the Northamton Junction and onto the river Nene

Purely one persons view, but starting at Napton probably offers one of the most comprehenive range of route choices. Enjoy your trip which ever route you choose.

Edited by David Schweizer

Another, perhaps simpler, explanation of "real ales" is that by and large they are made from natural ingredients, they contain no chemical additives and they are not pressurised.

So of course they are very good for you and you should drink lots of them. It works for me.

Mike

Agreed, but watch out for the wind when moored near real ale pubs. Especially with three couples in one boat. :)

I have only just come to this thread, We moor at Napton so know all the ways out quite well,and we always have a conference to decide which way to go

Hardest work:- Up the Northern Grand Union to Birmingham, the top end after Catherine de Barnes not very attractive with a lot of litter/graffitti. The bonus is Gas Street Basin with lots of retuaraunts etc.

Still hard work but prettier:- Up the Northern Grand Union and onto the Northern Stratford/Worcester and Birmingham to Birmingham

Prettiest and most Rural:- Down the Southern Oxford to Oxford. The one we are probably doing this year, and then up to Lechlade on the Thames.

Quite a lot of work, but interesting, quite rural and plenty of places to stop:- Down the Southern Grand Union towards the Home counties.

Quite a bit of work but very interesting:- as above but turn off at Norton Junction onto the Leicester section up to Market Harborough, takes you through Watford and Foxton Staircase locks.

Least attractive, but not much work:- Northern Oxford to Hawkesbury onto the Coventry, and then the Birmingham and Fazely. A useful diversion might be The Coventry canal into Coventry, it is a bit of a challenge in places, but Coventry itself is well worth exploring.

Nice after a few days with (almost no locks):- Same as above, but turn off the Coventry onto the Ashby

The one we haven't tried (well not for nearly 40 years):- Down Southern Grand Union and turn off at Gayton Junction, onto the Northamton Junction and onto the river Nene

Purely one persons view, but starting at Napton probably offers one of the most comprehenive range of route choices. Enjoy your trip which ever route you choose.

That is a great summary and one of the reasons we moor at Calcutt! Not surprisingly most time when we go out we pass Helvetia, ie we don't do either of the first 2 routes except when we are heading for Birmingham or we want a good workout!

The option that you have missed, which I would put at number 3 in your list is;

Still hard work but prettier still:- Up the Northern Grand Union and onto the Southern Stratford to Stratford and the River Avon

Most succinct - and you make a very good point, I can think of few locations from which so many routes are so accessible. Any canalside houses for sale round there?

Unfortunately (for you) Wigrams house, which is almost opposite our mooring has just been sold, It was on the market for nearly a year, but it went for quite a lot.

That is a great summary and one of the reasons we moor at Calcutt! Not surprisingly most time when we go out we pass Helvetia, ie we don't do either of the first 2 routes except when we are heading for Birmingham or we want a good workout!

The option that you have missed, which I would put at number 3 in your list is;

Still hard work but prettier still:- Up the Northern Grand Union and onto the Southern Stratford to Stratford and the River Avon

Agreed, I overlooked that one, We attempted it in Pisces in the 1960's, but got stuck hard in one locks about halfway down. It took tensioning chains, our crew of eight, about twenty passing ramblers, and the voluntary lock keepers Land Rover to extricate us. As our boat is also 7ft wide, I have yet to pluck up the courage to attempt it.

Edited by David Schweizer

Agreed, I overlooked that one, We attempted it in Pisces in the 1960's, but got stuck hard in one locks about halfway down. It took tensioning chains, our crew of eight, about twenty passing ramblers, and the voluntary lock keepers Land Rover to extricate us. As our boat is also 7ft wide, I have yet to pluck up the courage to attempt it.

Shame you can't get down there, both the canal and the River Avon are really very pleasant indeed. Certainly some of the locks getting into Stratford-on-Avon are very tight, even for those with narrower narrowboats!

Yes there are some tight ones. I have twice had to help boats that have got stuck, both times because of fenders, and those were further up than Wilmcote where I think the narrowest one is.

By the way- what is the "real ale" I keep reading about.

Where you're hailing from they would probably be referred to as "craft beers". If that helps.

(I only posted this to prove Sociable hermit right and get the post counts for beer knowledge out numbering the boatie ones)

Where you're hailing from they would probably be referred to as "craft beers". If that helps.

(I only posted this to prove Sociable hermit right and get the post counts for beer knowledge out numbering the boatie ones)

LOL

I must admit that one of my favourite beers from the US is Sam Adams. I have been drinking it when in the US since the mid '80 when I was travelling to Boston regularly, the home of Sam Adams Beer (and Sam Adams himself, but I don't hold it against you!). So if you like Sam Adams which is now available everywhere is the US, you are one you way to the taste of real ale. Now others will probably ridicule me for saying that, but hay ho....

LOL

I must admit that one of my favourite beers from the US is Sam Adams. I have been drinking it when in the US since the mid '80 when I was travelling to Boston regularly, the home of Sam Adams Beer (and Sam Adams himself, but I don't hold it against you!). So if you like Sam Adams which is now available everywhere is the US, you are one you way to the taste of real ale. Now others will probably ridicule me for saying that, but hay ho....

However Sam Adams makes a variety of beers, some of which are not bad and some of which....

Sounds good.

There has been an explosion of craft, or micro breweries here the last decade or so. It's all I'll drink anymore. Never shall a Budweiser pass my lips again.

I've even gone so far as to convert an old refridge in the garage into a 2 tap kegerator, getting kegs from local micro breweries. IPA's are a favorite. Always beer on tap!!!

I just recieved the most recent issue of "Beer Connoisseur" magazine in the mail today. It has an article on British "real ales", and describes them as follows:

"unfiltered, unpasteurized and is served without the aid of extrensic carbonation or pressure.....live yeast inside the cask....optimally served at cellar temperature...ideal for maximizing the nuanced flavors and aromas....".

Yes, please.

Edited by hardcrab

Sounds good.

There has been an explosion of craft, or micro breweries here the last decade or so. It's all I'll drink anymore. Never shall a Budweiser pass my lips again.

I've even gone so far as to convert an old refridge in the garage into a 2 tap kegerator, getting kegs from local micro breweries. IPA's are a favorite. Always beer on tap!!!

I just recieved the most recent issue of "Beer Connoisseur" magazine in the mail today. It has an article on British "real ales", and describes them as follows:

"unfiltered, unpasteurized and is served without the aid of extrensic carbonation or pressure.....live yeast inside the cask....optimally served at cellar temperature...ideal for maximizing the nuanced flavors and aromas....".

Yes, please.

You've got the hang of it!

These two web sites are v. useful:

Quaffale and Beer Mad :cheers:

Steer clear of Greene King IPA, available from Lands End to John o'Groats and not worth getting out of bed for let alone drinking.

A copy of the Good Beer Guide (NOT the Good Pub Guide) would be a good investment too. Its published annually by CAMRA.

Hope this helps.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Boating regs are a bit vague when it comes to drinking. Basically you have to be competent to handle the vessel safely.

1-starting from a Napton is a very bad idea. If I were to start from Napton, I would never actually go anywhere but stay in the folly and avoid sobriety carefully for a full week. However if Napton is a destination, then I might move towards it.

2- you are only competent to handle a boat when you are not completely drunk. the definition of completely drunk is "able to lie on the floor without holding, or not having to hold much"

1-starting from a Napton is a very bad idea. If I were to start from Napton, I would never actually go anywhere but stay in the folly and avoid sobriety carefully for a full week. However if Napton is a destination, then I might move towards it.

2- you are only competent to handle a boat when you are not completely drunk. the definition of completely drunk is "able to lie on the floor without holding, or not having to hold much"

It's a pleasant cruise from Napton Narrowboats to The Folly.

Thinking of how The Folly had gone downhill a couple of years ago, how encouraging to hear of somebody wishing so fervently to spend a whole week sampling its delights!

• 1 year later...

We are experienced with narrow-boats, but this August we are taking our 12-year old grandson with us for his first canal trip. We are also booked on a boat from Napton, but only for a "Short Break", i.e., 2.30 pm Monday to 9.30 am Friday, so a lot of the trips mentioned on this forum topic are probably too long. I reckon we'll either have to head north towards Rugby, or south towards Cropredy. Does anybody have an opinion on which of those options might be most enjoyable and/or interesting and/or fun for a 12-yr old? Thanks for any advice.

We are experienced with narrow-boats, but this August we are taking our 12-year old grandson with us for his first canal trip. We are also booked on a boat from Napton, but only for a "Short Break", i.e., 2.30 pm Monday to 9.30 am Friday, so a lot of the trips mentioned on this forum topic are probably too long. I reckon we'll either have to head north towards Rugby, or south towards Cropredy. Does anybody have an opinion on which of those options might be most enjoyable and/or interesting and/or fun for a 12-yr old? Thanks for any advice.

Don't go Rugby way he will be bored stiff. Ether up the S Oxford as you say to Cropredy so lots of locks for him to help with or up through Braunston with the tunnle and then Crick with the Watford staircase.

I was a regular at Napton, well the Folly, some years ago until I made the mistake of swapping the Nb for a cruiser on the Broads. Anyway, grp cruiser now sold and we are looking to buy another Nb - so is the Folly up, running and as good as ever?

I was a regular at Napton, well the Folly, some years ago until I made the mistake of swapping the Nb for a cruiser on the Broads. Anyway, grp cruiser now sold and we are looking to buy another Nb - so is the Folly up, running and as good as ever?

The Folly is very good, see the Easter 2014 at Napton thread