Where to go from Napton?

hardcrab

Featured Posts

Hello,

We (3 couples) have a narrow boat rented from Napton in mid April. This will be our first time on a narrow boat, however we are experienced boaters (chartered in BVI's last year, all boat owners, etc.). Looks like there are several directions we can go for a weeks hire from Napton, including the Warwick ring, and several out and back trips.

At first the ring sounded like a good plan since you wouldn't see the same thing twice. However, if we go on a ring I think we would be too tied to a schedule and would have to complete so many miles per day. and not stop if we wanted. Our primary interests are quaint towns and pubs with good beer. We wouldn't' want to have to pass a pub just to make our distance for the day. I'm not sure how much daylight we should expect mid April. We are all energetic and I think will do ok with locks.

It's the journey, not the destination.

Any suggestions regarding specific routes or specific pubs along the way that we shouldn't miss?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Mid April -from Napton, you will have cruising hours from 5am with sunlight,and until 20.00 hrs at night and more.

If I were you,I would do the Warwick ring, or cruise up the Grand Union/North Stratford into Birmingham and then return by maybe a different route. Otherwise, GU,up to Lapworth Junction and then go down to Stratford and back.

Edited by matty40s

You will easily get to Warwick with 3 couples.............me and OH did Whilton to Warwick to Crick to Napton and back to Whilton in a week...so you shouldn't have a problem. If you do Warwick you can moor overnight on visitor moorings at the Saltisford Arm for free for the one night.

Its a nice trip too ............enjoy whichever route you choose.

Hi.

I have a soft spot for the South Oxford. The first narrowboat holiday I ever took was from Napton to Oxford and back. I was hooked! I have since done this canal several times and find the route jolly civilised. Good pub's a plenty, wonderful scenery and Oxford itself is a jewel. The route to Stratford is also jolly pleasant, but towards Oxford would be my first choice. ;)

Hi.

I have a soft spot for the South Oxford. The first narrowboat holiday I ever took was from Napton to Oxford and back. I was hooked! I have since done this canal several times and find the route jolly civilised. Good pub's a plenty, wonderful scenery and Oxford itself is a jewel. The route to Stratford is also jolly pleasant, but towards Oxford would be my first choice. ;)

Bit short on pubs though.

No, VERY short on pubs. But a most excellent cruise down to Oxford and back. on balance I recommend this plan, just buy some good beer to take.

MtB

P.S. there is a truly GREAT indian in Banbury, in the old high street...

The Grand Union to Warwick has wide gauge locks, a more "concreted" canal but more pubs, including our favourite in the area, the Blue Lias at the bottom of Stockton locks. The S Oxford is very rural for much of the way, with narrow locks (much nicer!) and not much concrete. However on some stretches there is a dearth of pubs and even shops, though they are there, you just have to schedule your trip accordingly. If you like leafy green rural England and winding narrow canals, the S Oxford is best. However the G Union to Warwick and beyond is not unpleasant. If going as as far as Birmingham (which is actually surprisingly nice in the centre), take the N Stratford, not the Grand Union after Lapworth. Or turn left for Stratford, though I think Napton to Stratford and back in a week would be pretty busy if you are not used to working locks expeditiously.

Edited by nicknorman

Hi.

I really don't get why you say this. The southern Oxford is about the dryest 40 miles of cut I've ever cruised.

Care to list the pubs you know along it? I'm genuinely interested to find out what I've been missing!

Many thanks,

MtB

I really don't get why you say this. The southern Oxford is about the dryest 40 miles of cut I've ever cruised.

Care to list the pubs you know along it? I'm genuinely interested to find out what I've been missing!

Many thanks,

MtB

If you have but a week to go there and back, off the top of me head, Napton, Anyho, Cropredy, Banbury, Thrupp and Oxford. How can you not find a pub? :cheers:

Hmmm six in 40 miles? There's FOUR in Braunston alone!

MtB

Think three couples on one boat may well cover a few miles. Still, horses for courses. Napton is a good base which ever way you cruise. I may well have my rose tinted spec's on in regard to the south Oxford, but after the initial all male "booze cruise", have never had a problem finding a rather good hostelry in which to partake in good food and ale. I am not being prescriptive. Just find the route rather relaxing! Met with relatives this year(Hmphh, last year!) in really awful weather and they loved the experiance. Suppose like everything, it is subjective. (But I still like it!) He he.

Edited by johnmck

Just to clarify, in reading the thread I think possibly a few people have misread what I think you mean here, in that you are considering the Warwickshire Ring, not a trip to Warwick and back from Napton.

The Warwickshire Ring in a "hire week" which is really 6.5 days, is done by a lot of hirers but as you have identified you do have to stick to a schedule and probably do a few long days. With 6 of you though that should not be too hard. You have 2 choices when it comes to Birmingham, stick to the Grand Union on what is strictly the Warwickshire Ring route and you will not actually go into the centre of Birmingham, or use the North Stratford which will take you into the centre, but will take a bit more time. If you do the Warwickshire Ring then I recommend that you do it clockwise, ie from Napton you head towards Warwick first, that way you get the heavily locked section out of the way, and your last 2 days will not have many locks so easier to make up time if you need to.

Another alternative that you could do is to go to Stratford-upon-Avon and back, that will take a similar time to the Warwickshire Ring, but is even more locks. You get a good destination in the middle, unless you already are planning to visit Stratford by road.

In mid-April that weather is going to be a bit of a lottery (well ok it's like that all year, but early on more so), so do think about if it rains all week.

MtB

Off the top of my head: two waterside pubs at Napton, one at Fenny, two within a short walk at Cropredy, Gawd knows how many in Banbury of which at least one is waterside, one at Aynho, one at Thrupp, one at Enslow....we don't often go further down than that.

Returning to the OP's original question, go down the South Oxford. Most of it is very pretty, the majority of it is very rural. In a week you should comfortably get as far as Banbury and return.

:lol: No, no no,

Keep away from the Oxford, shallow, a big flight of locks almost immediately afte you get the boat (mark you two pubs before you get to it). Then mega mile of nothing.

Shallow

Too many boats

Mooring can be a pain - stick to the visible ARMCO shuttering

(Keep orff - 'tis my entry point to the canals and I don't want any other boats around) :lol:

Actually there are a lot of pubs - sme not mentioned above and spaced sensibly apart

The advantage of the Warwickshire bit is that the base of the "P" (that's the shape of the route if you go to Brum and back) is very quick if you've got a crew. Birmingham is well worth a visit, lots of pubs if you must and restaurants and shopping for the ladies, Jewellery quarter - visit the Pen museum, Jewellery museum and architectural gems hidden away in the side streets. Go and see the Black Country LIVING museum. All of these are "experiences" - not stuffy rows and rows of cases.

It's a city NOT to be attempted by car, BUT in a boat something quite different. Some parts are scruffy or worse, but they soon pass away.

Now for something completely different - How about Market Harborough and back. Thew locks are in 3 flights and work through quite quickly. Not so busy (not that that matters unless April means Easter.....) and a mix of scenery.

I agree with most of the commenters. I hired mysef from Napton two summers ago. We pottered to market harborough with loads of time. Foxton locks/ inclined plane the best bit.

Don't worry too much about cruising hours, with daylight comes more boaters and less water as a rule so you roughly achieve the same unless you really push out long days.

You'll have no trouble enjoying the Warickshire ring. Both these routes have plenty of pubs.

Have a great time and let us know how you got on.

Hello,

We (3 couples) have a narrow boat rented from Napton in mid April. This will be our first time on a narrow boat, however we are experienced boaters (chartered in BVI's last year, all boat owners, etc.). Looks like there are several directions we can go for a weeks hire from Napton, including the Warwick ring, and several out and back trips.

At first the ring sounded like a good plan since you wouldn't see the same thing twice. However, if we go on a ring I think we would be too tied to a schedule and would have to complete so many miles per day. and not stop if we wanted. Our primary interests are quaint towns and pubs with good beer. We wouldn't' want to have to pass a pub just to make our distance for the day. I'm not sure how much daylight we should expect mid April. We are all energetic and I think will do ok with locks.

It's the journey, not the destination.

Any suggestions regarding specific routes or specific pubs along the way that we shouldn't miss?

Thanks for your help!!!!

A lot will depend on how much time you want to spend actually boating. Some are on the go from before 8.00am until dusk, with meals taken on the move, while others prefer a lie in, a lazy breakfast, an hour or two's boating before a leisurely lunch and a similarly short afternoon. And do you want to spend the week boating, or to use the boat as mobile accommodation while you visit every picturesque village/market town/historic house/museum etc. along the way?

If you haven't already found it, Nick's Canal Route Planner will enable you to see how long various routes would take.

Bit short on pubs though.

No, VERY short on pubs. But a most excellent cruise down to Oxford and back. on balance I recommend this plan, just buy some good beer to take.

MtB

P.S. there is a truly GREAT indian in Banbury, in the old high street...

Napton Bridge

The Folly

Fenny Wharf

Aynho Great Western

Jolly Boatman

Aldermn

Dozens in Oxford and Babury

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the helpful replies. After some reading (Pearsons Midlands guide), map studying and deliberation,I think we have decided to leave Napton and head for Market Harborough. Looks like some good scenery, tunnels, locks and......pubs. If by chance we are not to "Market" by Tuesday evening we can just turn around where we are. I think we'd like to have the extra liesure time if needed, and not be completely tied to a schedule that we would if we did the Warwickshire ring. We sail the Chesapeake Bay here, and always like to spend a day or so at each stop rather than hurrying on to the next port. Rain suits and rubber overshoes have been ordered (just in case), passports checked... just need to order another cruising guide.

By the way- what is the "real ale" I keep reading about. We really enjoy sampling all of the local beers we can when we travel, so I'm sure it's something we're going to like.

Thanks again, and see you in April!!

Edited by hardcrab

what is the "real ale" I keep reading about. We really enjoy sampling all of the local beers we can when we travel, so I'm sure it's something we're going to like.

Aha! You may be beginning to realise that CWDF is actually just a front for the Campaign for Real Ale (aka CAMRA). Most folk on here know far more about beer than they do about boating, even though they know an awful lot about boating.

"Real ale" is a blanket term for a variety of traditional brews, including stout, mild, bitter, IPA and porter. They're generally much more flavoursome than lager ("beer" in American terms), far less fizzy, and normally served at room temperature rather than ice cold, as befits a country where the weather is generally dreadful and folk don't need cooling down.

The different types represent different mixes of ingredients like hops and malt, different strengths and different characters. So an IPA is normally quite strong, straw coloured and really hoppy, a best bitter is usually quite malty and chestnut brown, and a porter will be black with a slightly oily consistency. Stout is so thick it's actually a food group.

One of the best things about boating is the range of local breweries one encounters on one's travels. The Napton area is a good starting point as it's in Hook Norton territory, and Hook Norton beers are ace. Be warned, though - real ales are an acquired taste, and you'll also need to find which style suits you best. Obviously the best way to do this initially is to try all of them. You might find Hooky Gold to your taste as a starting point.

Boating regs are a bit vague when it comes to drinking. Basically you have to be competent to handle the vessel safely. Obviously this varies from person to person but provided you know how much you can handle, and when to stop, you'll be fine. Personally I find very slow supping from lunchtime onwards gives an average of about two pint's worth of alcohol in my system at any one time, which actually helps my boat handling. Unwinding a little helps me to work with the boat rather than fighting with it. Each to their own, though.

P.S. Edited to say: beware of "bottle conditioned" beer if buying bottled beers from a supermarket. These contain sediment and need to be poured really carefully!

Edited by sociable_hermit

Thanks for the helpful replies. After some reading (Pearsons Midlands guide), map studying and deliberation,I think we have decided to leave Napton and head for Market Harborough. Looks like some good scenery, tunnels, locks and......pubs. If by chance we are not to "Market" by Tuesday evening we can just turn around where we are. I think we'd like to have the extra liesure time if needed, and not be completely tied to a schedule that we would if we did the Warwickshire ring. We sail the Chesapeake Bay here, and always like to spend a day or so at each stop rather than hurrying on to the next port. Rain suits and rubber overshoes have been ordered (just in case), passports checked... just need to order another cruising guide.

By the way- what is the "real ale" I keep reading about. We really enjoy sampling all of the local beers we can when we travel, so I'm sure it's something we're going to like.

Thanks again, and see you in April!!

Its a lovely trip on the Leicester section of the GU to Market Harborough. Just a few things to consider:

Braunston area can get busy if you hit it on a fine weekend - don't expect to whizz through the locks;

the Watford flight sometimes has restricted opening times with the flight locked out of hours, not really a problem unless you are planning to cruise into the evening. Ditto Foxton;

Much of the Leicester section is very, very rural. Lovely but it does make finding shops harder, and what shops there are don't tend to sell much "real" food. Stock up well. Good shopping in Market Harborough though.

Try to take the detour up the Welford arm - its only a couple of miles but very pleasant and a nice pub at the end!

Another, perhaps simpler, explanation of "real ales" is that by and large they are made from natural ingredients, they contain no chemical additives and they are not pressurised.

So of course they are very good for you and you should drink lots of them. It works for me.

Mike

Another, perhaps simpler, explanation of "real ales" is that by and large they are made from natural ingredients, they contain no chemical additives and they are not pressurised.

So of course they are very good for you and you should drink lots of them. It works for me.

Mike

Ditto from me too.

Martyn

Off the top of my head: two waterside pubs at Napton, one at Fenny, two within a short walk at Cropredy, Gawd knows how many in Banbury of which at least one is waterside, one at Aynho, one at Thrupp, one at Enslow....we don't often go further down than that.

Returning to the OP's original question, go down the South Oxford. Most of it is very pretty, the majority of it is very rural. In a week you should comfortably get as far as Banbury and return.

With two adults and two teenagers we normally get to Lower Heyford (another good pub and then catch the train to Oxford - only a short ride and much easier than doing the 12 or so locks below Lower Heyford - all in one week

MtB

The four in Braunston?

1 is possibly shut? Not sure what the latest on the Nelson is.

1 is usually full of unpleasant noisy people (IMHO)

1 is mostly empty due to disinterested staff and poor food and drink.

1 is a cheap (and fairly nasty) chain-barn.

I'd sooner there was one really good pub, whether it be the posh gastro experience like the Great Western at Aynho or the old fashioned lively boozer like the Mucky Duck at Fradley.

Hopefully the Nelson at Braunston will be that pub. The previous owners were doing an ok job, sad that they have been forced out by the brewery. Not convinced by the recent changes to the decor / furnishings though.

Edited by Dave_P

I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick. The tenants have not been forced out by "the brewery" (which is not a brewery, it's a company which owns pubs). They have bought the pub for themselves. At least, that's what recent reports suggest.

Thanks.

I may be a touch out of date then. When I was chatting to Fred in the shop down the cut a couple of weeks back, he told me that the "brewery" had taken up an offer from an outside investor and had agreed to sell the pub to them. This meant that the current owners had their contract terminated.

So it looks like the current tennants have raised the cash necessary to buy it themselves. Good news as they had clearly invested a certain amount of money there and it just seemed immoral that they could be kicked out.