How big is your water tank?

BarnOwl

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Especially timber sizes :)

Not to mention steel

A lot of structural steelwork remains the old imperial sizes but has been referenced in metric units for decades , almost half a century.

27 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Not to mention steel

A lot of structural steelwork remains the old imperial sizes but has been referenced in metric units for decades , almost half a century.

Not had a great lot to do with steel sizes, but can imagine...

13 hours ago, MartynG said:

Interesting mix of metric and imperial - very British

I love the mix we use in this country.

So do I its quite funny realy. When I was a Pub licensee a certain club tried to enforce selling beer in metric measures but they had their bottoms kicked so we kept our British pint. ?

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

So do I its quite funny realy. When I was a Pub licensee a certain club tried to enforce selling beer in metric measures but they had their bottoms kicked so we kept our British pint. ?

That surprises me, as even of today we are able to buy beer in pints (should we so choose) at the Irish bars in Cologne.

3 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

You think you are buying a pint but probably you are buying 568ml.

Guinness (and Murphys) always tastes better in pints than ml.  Everybody knows that.
I have been getting hammered on pints for some 50 years and am not going to start drinking litres at my time of life
I take my own pint glass into other German bars :)

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/01/2013 at 19:10, BarnOwl said:

Hi guys,

Firstly, would like to say this may be my first post, but it comes after many hours delving through the fine advice which has been offered out to others, so thanks to all... your help has been invaluable so far!

I've been looking for a live aboard for a while now and think I've come across something that looks the business for me... however the water capacity, through 2 plastic tanks, totals only 100 gallons which strikes me as pretty small in comparison to a lot of other boats I've looked at. I've lifted up the plate on the well deck and taken a look, and it might be roomy enough to accommodate something a bit bigger.

I know it is a bit of 'how long is a piece of string' as to how much water you use but given I won't be running a washing machine, and theres' just me, do you think the tank size will be sufficient to last longer than a few days? It would be good to know what sizes other live aboarder's have, and generally how long they can stretch them out for!

This forum has been soooo useful, so thank you!

I have a 400 litre tank and six 25 litre plastic drums.  Giving me 550 litres.

I fill the drums up at the same time as I'm doing the tank. When the tank runs out I then empty the drums in.

There's mostly just me (and the mutt) on board, I live aboard and am a CCer. I can squeeeeeze 3 weeks out of that capacity. Thats with showers where the water is shut off once I'm wet and switched on again just to rinse the soap.

I've a washer onboard but rarely use it as it seems to use around 60 to 100 litres a cycle, so basically I use it when I'm on a water point. 

Being frugal 400 litres is enough for 2 weeks I think. I'd love 1000 litres though!!

11 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

The reason for the large tank is that it counterbalances the engine on the opposite side of the boat.

If you consume the water does the boat capsize?

3 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

Not quite, but we always know when we need topping up because one of the drawers in the bedroom comes open :) 

One of my kitchen drawers keeps opening randomly.

I always wondered why, but now it is obvious - it's when your water tank is running low! ?