How big is your water tank?

BarnOwl

Featured Posts

• 1 year later...

I have 2 tanks of 4500 liters each, a total of 9000 liters. they last about 3 weeks with me alone, on charter (6 guests and 5 crew) they are practically empty at the end of the week.

filling takes all night.

The time I had a leak in the freshwater system (holes in the filter housing) and was waiting for a replacement, 9000l would last 4 days!

do you generally store water in tanks in the bilge? because i read a lot of posts speaking of bow storage space tanks.

One more question: how much bilge space do narrowboats have (distance from the floor to the keel)

When filling chlorine in the water will kill off any bugs but in time this is lost from the water and water then can go off so tanks lasting a long time surely is not the healthy way to go ?

No idea what size our tank is, but with two of us and a washing machine and flushing loo, we get anywhere between a week to a week & 1/2 on a full tank, depending on how many loads of washing I do. And an empty tank using most CRT water points takes the better part of 1 & 1/2 hours to fill. We try to top up at every water point to avoid this thought.

When filling chlorine in the water will kill off any bugs but in time this is lost from the water and water then can go off so tanks lasting a long time surely is not the healthy way to go ?

We bleach ours every 6 months - only use filter water for drinking

And here I was thinking narrowboats had a lot of bilge space for storage...

Doesn't chlorine flavor the water something awful? Try a carbon filter right behind the water pump, it removes all nasties like a charm. Generally i'm too lazy to close the water intake so all kinds of stuff gets in there, in 12 years of drinking tap water i have never been sick from it.

Also: who lets the water run from the hose for a minute before putting it into the tank so it doesn't taste like rubber?

Edited by Alexander1618

I believe my water tank holds 150 gallons. I top it up every weekend, but I've never (yet) run out.

There's usually just me aboard. I have a pump out toilet and an automatic washing machine.

I don't put anything in the water and the coffee always tastes good.

Cheers,

T.

Hi Gang,

Until quite recently I had a Watermaker fitted, so water has never been an issue for me as a livaboard CCr with all the water guzzling thingymajigs one tends to have aboard to make life more comfortable.

BUT

No I haven't got it, I've found out that I've got approximately 650 Lts, this lasts about 2 wks if I'm careful and for me, that ain't enough !. I now find that my stop points rotate around where I can get water, it's made me paranoid, more so than fuel !.

Oh I miss my Watermaker !.

• 4 years later...
On 15/01/2013 at 10:11, Giggetty said:

900 litres-12m narrowboat. I buy petrol by metric measure too. (I am English).

Litres, metres, gallons or feet, does it matter? They are all just measurements. The Americans put 12 blokes on the moon using gallons, feet and inches. You could measure your water tank in firkins I suppose. Did Usain Bolt run 100 metres or 1 Hectometer? I think we should decimalise time and go for a ten hour day with 100 minutes in every hour and 100 seconds per hour. 

The only important water tank measurement is how long you want it to last between refills.

On 04/01/2015 at 14:57, b0atman said:

I agree. If you are carting around residual excess water for weeks, the drinking quality is bound to be affected. 

19 minutes ago, Mike A R Powell said:

Litres, metres, gallons or feet, does it matter? They are all just measurements. The Americans put 12 blokes on the moon using gallons, feet and inches. You could measure your water tank in firkins I suppose. Did Usain Bolt run 100 metres or 1 Hectometer? I think we should decimalise time and go for a ten hour day with 100 minutes in every hour and 100 seconds per hour. 

The only important water tank measurement is how long you want it to last between refills.

Which is directly proportional to the capacity of the tank, and when buying or specifying a boat its convenient to work in terms of litres rather than "weeks".

We have 1000 litres, are full time liveaboards, and I have never felt that we are carrying around excess stale water ?.

............Dave

Mine has a plastic bladder tank in the bow. It may well have had a steel tank in the past,but the bladder tank is in a triangular compartment and it is a pillow type tank so doesn't fill the compartment.

It holds about 25 gallons according to my water meter,not a lot really,but I only use it for showering/washing,I have a camping container for drinking water.

A shower (if I leave it running) uses about 3 gallons of water.Wetting myself all over (no jokes please) turning the shower off, soaping up and rinsing uses about a gallon.

An advantage of a smaller tank,is the water isn't in the tank long enough to go "off"

A old thread resurrected for some reason.

Without boasting we have a large one too.

Our integral bow water tank holds around 1.5 tonnes, last 2 of us 3 to 6 weeks depending on washing machine use and how often we share a shower! So that's 1500 litres, 334 UK gallons, 396 US gallons.

Makes serious trim changes.

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I seal my nose when not in use

They do tend to seal their nose when they go under water, but recently there has been a spate of problems with eels penetrating the seal's nose seals.

An endangered Hawaiian monk seal was spotted with an eel lodged up its nostril in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands.

Endangered seals are baffling conservationists with an unlikely predicament -- getting eels stuck up their noses.

The Honolulu-based Hawaiian Monk Seal Research Program (HMSRP), part of the United States' NOAA Fisheries agency, posted a photo on its Facebook page Monday that showed a seal with the slippery creature lodged firmly in its right nostril.
This undignified incident is just the latest in a long (and wriggly) line of eel invasions to strike the Hawaiian monk seals -- a phenomenon that was first spotted in the summer of 2016 off Hawaii's Lisianski Island.

On 14/01/2013 at 21:17, mrsmelly said:

you just get used to whatever you have. I dont do litres as I am British and live in England so I do gallons, they are much easier to understand thats why I buy pints of beer in the pub as eight make one gallon anyway my present boat is a guesstimate of 250/300 gallons and we just use more water at the moment because we are getting nearly as lazy as house dwellers as we are plugged in at the marina. Tank size is ownly realy a problem for continuous moorers anyone else passes a water point more times than enough. :cheers:

Tim

agree with most of that, except I like to measure my tank using the Imperial bushel standard.