Getting used to portholes...

Salopgal

Featured Posts

... I admit that I found it a bit weird not being able to see anything but sky out of the portholes (she is fully portholed) and got into a discussion with an elderly boater the same day who said that was the reason he went back on land. He just hated not having a view of trees etc when seated.

I suspect its all what you get used to. We happened to get large, double-glazed windows in the lounge (bright, warm, little condensation, soundproof) and portholes in the rest of the boat when we bought her. And now wouldn't want any other style. We also have a houdini hatch that I love looking at the night sky through.

Surprisingly few people actually seem to look down into the boat on the few occasions we have the towpath-side curtains open. Are people embarrassed? We don't bother covering the portholes as we like to look out them when we pass through. But we do have interesting painted metal things (birds, hearts) suspended and dangling in them -- that seem to draw attention to the objects rather than what's inside.

We actually sit out on the bow deck a lot in the summer (it was one of the things we looked for when searching for a boat), tea and books to hand, and really enjoy it. So, no cratch for us. If the wind's wrong we can just about do the same on the semi-trad stern instead. So no pram hood there either. That said, I have looked longingly at some people with prams in the late autumn, obviously nice and warm reading the papers.

I think the best thing, though, are side hatches, that bring the outside in. We have two either side of a narrow table. Excellent light for doing detailed work for much of the year, and unbeatable for sunny breakfast mornings!

Have fun growing into your boat!