Getting used to portholes...

Salopgal

Featured Posts

Thanks so much. I'm a learner, as you know, but currently the hatch is on opposite site to towpath (port?), so can't access from outside as it's situated currently. Still, may be able to cobble something together that can go in place from within...?! Not sure! Thanks again though. "All things are possible..." :)

I have one each side and access them from inside the boat. You can poke the panels out by turning them on the angle and then draw them back into the hole.

I have one each side and access them from inside the boat. You can poke the panels out by turning them on the angle and then draw them back into the hole.

Sound mighty clever and requiring double-jointedness! I'll give it a go - after all, what's the worst that could happen..?!

Women! Huh! Don't you just love 'em... :banghead:

This is where I am happy...

sorry photo is a bit big - not sure how to make smaller. :wacko:

I take it you know that Baddie the pirate does an LED Bus Bulb to put in electrified oil lamps and table lamps. Much lower wattage than filament bulbs

Edited by ditchcrawler

Would be most grateful to learn how you went about making these, please.

Could you post a picture too? Hope you don't mind, but I'd love to keep the hatch open all year round and don't have any kind of screen for it currently. I wouldn't know where to start!

Thanks!

I made two from 4mm polycarbonate so you can open the side door hatch and then position the window from the inside by passing the window through the opening and seating it on the outside of the recess in which the side doors normally seat. It stays in place by using the bolt holes that normally are used to secure the side doors. As it is for daytime use when the boat is ocupied I did not bother with a wooden frame for the polycarbonate. Has worked well in practice.

DSC02553b.jpg

Mick

• Greenie 1

I made two from 4mm polycarbonate so you can open the side door hatch and then position the window from the inside by passing the window through the opening and seating it on the outside of the recess in which the side doors normally seat. It stays in place by using the bolt holes that normally are used to secure the side doors. As it is for daytime use when the boat is ocupied I did not bother with a wooden frame for the polycarbonate. Has worked well in practice.

Mick

Absolutely brilliant! Thank you so much for posting and explaining it all, I am very grateful indeed! I'll give that a go for sure. :cheers:

Wow. Stunning.

Who is she?

Hi - thanks for that! She's a street seller on one of the Canary Islands that my husband photographed with the idea of me making a painting.

This was a bit of a breakthrough painting for me, trying out new ways of laying watercolour paint, using oil pastels too and adding gold leaf. I very nearly threw it away half way through, but hubby convinced me to keep going because the face was exactly right. I tend to fiddle paintings to death you see, and end up spoiling them.

Am going to start one today, of a narrowboat in Winter at Ellesmere... wish me luck!

:cheers:

You're boat looks lovely Salapgal, really cosy and homely. Hopefully you're glad you 'took the plunge' now. Have you manged any outings on it yet?

What a marvellous painting. I really envy those like you who can paint so well like that. It must be painstaking but so satisfying.

I take it you know that Baddie the pirate does an LED Bus Bulb to put in electrified oil lamps and table lamps. Much lower wattage than filament bulbs

DON'T LISTEN TO HIM! What an abomination, electrifying oil lamps!!!! This would be the equivalent to ripping out your solid fuel stove and fitting a fan heater.

Real flame, living lighting is a delight few people seem to understand these days :)

MtB

DON'T LISTEN TO HIM! What an abomination, electrifying oil lamps!!!! This would be the equivalent to ripping out your solid fuel stove and fitting a fan heater.

Real flame, living lighting is a delight few people seem to understand these days :)

MtB

Come on Mike put your glasses back on. I sad she could put them in electrified lamps which I a guessing the wall light is. Not go out and convert them to electricity

Salopgal your boat looks very cosy :cheers:

Gas lighting is lovely. My dad had a 1960's fairholm caravan that had gas lighting and it was a lovely light until a moth flew under the shade and bust the mantle :( Poor moth. He had a game to find the very fine mantle gauze fitting and expensive,they were also very easy to break fitting them.

James :cheers:

Come on Mike put your glasses back on. I sad she could put them in electrified lamps which I a guessing the wall light is. Not go out and convert them to electricity

I'm pretty sure you're right, as there seems to be a switch on the left, and also it would be a big fire risk if not, being so close to the unprotected wooden ceiling planks.

Peter.

I'm pretty sure you're right, as there seems to be a switch on the left, and also it would be a big fire risk if not, being so close to the unprotected wooden ceiling planks.

Peter.

Yep, you are right, they are electric - I think they are also LED but I'll check...

You're boat looks lovely Salapgal, really cosy and homely. Hopefully you're glad you 'took the plunge' now. Have you manged any outings on it yet?

What a marvellous painting. I really envy those like you who can paint so well like that. It must be painstaking but so satisfying.

Thanks for your kind words! Really appreciated.

No, no outings yet, she's still winterised and I can't move aboard just yet. But I visit as often as I can! Got to try to work out the electric hook-up tomorrow so that I can hoover up 8 years worth of black dog hair!! Fun, fun, fun... Actually, I love it. I'm happiest just pootling away doing jobs... (it's good procrastination to get me out of doing any paintings!!) <_<

No, no outings yet, she's still winterised and I can't move aboard just yet. But I visit as often as I can! Got to try to work out the electric hook-up tomorrow so that I can hoover up 8 years worth of black dog hair!! Fun, fun, fun... Actually, I love it. I'm happiest just pootling away doing jobs... (it's good procrastination to get me out of doing any paintings!!) <_<

We're in the same situation and that's the problem with buying a boat at this time of year. Bought ours recently and itching to get out on it, although we managed to get a 3 hour cruise a fortnight ago, so we've just been visiting to potter about and do some little jobs.

Now the ice has gone we're hoping to move her next weekend from it's current location which is costing us £96 a week !!!

So as to keep the theme of the OP, ours has 'bus type' windows. I'd prefer a mix of both, and wouldn't be against having all portholed provided there was enough light from other sources such as houdini hatches. But when you're buying 2nd hand it's very hard to get a boat that fulfils all your criteria so we're nevertheless happy with what we've got.