Getting used to portholes...

Salopgal

Featured Posts

OK, so I haven't moved aboard yet, and that day is many months away I am guessing but...

I spent half a day onboard the winterised boat that belongs to my Mum now and read a book, poked around dreaming up storage ideas etc. I had a lovely time!

I admit that I found it a bit weird not being able to see anything but sky out of the portholes (she is fully portholed) and got into a discussion with an elderly boater the same day who said that was the reason he went back on land. He just hated not having a view of trees etc when seated.

I don't feel claustrophobic on the boat and actually feel safe and happy there, but wonder to myself whether this window thing would ever become an issue in the future.

I hope my asking about this doesn't inflame anyone, as it seems like a classic rookie comment on reflection, but I'm just wondering what other folks' experiences are of this are?

I could bounce views around with mirrors I guess...

Thanks folks!

Come the Spring/Summer you will spend much more time outside the boat.

Everywhere inside at the moment is pretty depressing - our house is dinghy when it never gets properly light outside....I suspect portholes only will exacerbate this.

Portholes are fine in bedrooms/toilets etc, but I would not want them in the lounge or kitchen areas. Dirty great bus windows there is best!:rolleyes:

Well, I guess I'll have to see how I get on. We bought the boat because it was in such excellent condition and it's only these sort of things that slowly dawn on you after the fact!

I suppose if it proves to be a problem, I could have bigger windows put in... not sure how easy that would be.

Shame I didn't think about this before really; as an artist, you'd think I'd have thought of it first off! Durrr.... Head's in the shed these days!

Just looking for a quiet life, in peace...

Our last boat had portholes, our current boat has portholes normally covered by canvas on the outside, suits us perfectly we have extensive ceiling and under gunnel LED lighting. In he summer we either sit in the cockpit or outside or are both on he bank motoring. I would not worry

Our last boat had portholes, our current boat has portholes normally covered by canvas on the outside, suits us perfectly we have extensive ceiling and under gunnel LED lighting. In he summer we either sit in the cockpit or outside or are both on he bank motoring. I would not worry

Thanks Tuscan!

I forgot to mention that when I went over to the marina last weekend, I met a lovely couple who let me onboard their weekender/holiday boat and told me that the previous owners had indeed put in the 'bus windows' in the galley and saloon, because they wanted a bigger view. So at least I know it's doable, I just don't fancy carving up a traditional boat, when she's so lovely looking. It's a dilemma, but there are far worse dilemmas in life...

If it comes to it, and I can afford to do it, I could get a wee butty, or somesuch, on the back to turn into an art studio. Apparently two artists who moored near where I live, did just that. They are no longer there but the marina manager told me that's what they did.

There are always options in life, said the 'glass is half full' lady...!! :rolleyes:

Thanks Tuscan!

I forgot to mention that when I went over to the marina last weekend, I met a lovely couple who let me onboard their weekender/holiday boat and told me that the previous owners had indeed put in the 'bus windows' in the galley and saloon, because they wanted a bigger view. So at least I know it's doable, I just don't fancy carving up a traditional boat, when she's so lovely looking. It's a dilemma, but there are far worse dilemmas in life...

If it comes to it, and I can afford to do it, I could get a wee butty, or somesuch, on the back to turn into an art studio. Apparently two artists who moored near where I live, did just that. They are no longer there but the marina manager told me that's what they did.

There are always options in life, said the 'glass is half full' lady...!! :rolleyes:

I can't paint although I have bought quite a lot of art, but I can't imagine anything better than being in the middle of nowhere on the towpath wine and paintbrush in hand, but when you stop at one of the honeypot sites you will be grateful for the privacy, everybody to heir own and there will be many with a contrary view I am sure.

Depends where you are moored too. I changed all my big windows for port holes and also put 3 hudinis in so plenty of light. I find the portholes make it less easy for people to stare in and the dogs don't get so bothered by people walking by.

I can sit on sofa and see trees on one side but also can see out of ones on land side. I can sit up at desk and look out of side hatches as well so guess I have the best of both worlds.

I would say live with what you have at the moment before you go mad and change everything there will be plenty of time later!

One of the criteria I had for a boat was big windows andplentyof daylight. My boat has 13 of em! :D

Assuming you've not got a nice old historic boat, if the portholes bother you in the future, you can replace some with bigger windows. Chances are you'll get used to it though.

My painting studio is in the boat and has three large windows in it. But in the summer I'm usually painting outside

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Portholes are fine in bedrooms/toilets etc, but I would not want them in the lounge or kitchen areas. Dirty great bus windows there is best!:rolleyes:

We have bus windows but only a pair at the front in the saloon - but at this time of year so much of the day is dark it doesn't bother me. I prefer portholes - less condensation, more internal space for shelves, cupboards etc and boat is much warmer in winter.

Portholes are great! I accidentally got a boat with all portholes & i love it. more privacy, warmer & less condensation in winter but best of all (assuming you get rid of any cratch cover) your boat will look like a proper smart boat from the outside. Congratulations on your purchase

You can look out the front door & hatch

Portholes are great, bus windows are for....buses (and caravans)!

Portholes give more privacy, better security, less heat loss, and make your boat look like a boat.

If you do find it dark then don't get windows fitted, get a couple of side hatches with internal gazing: you can open them when you want to get all the advantages of bus windows, and close them when you want privacy and security etc

Do you really want to wake up after a couple of lunchtime pints and an afternoon nap to find a family of tourists outside taking photos of you????

...........Dave

Portholes are great, bus windows are for....buses (and caravans)!

Portholes give more privacy, better security, less heat loss, and make your boat look like a boat.

If you do find it dark then don't get windows fitted, get a couple of side hatches with internal gazing: you can open them when you want to get all the advantages of bus windows, and close them when you want privacy and security etc

Do you really want to wake up after a couple of lunchtime pints and an afternoon nap to find a family of tourists outside taking photos of you????

...........Dave

We've overcome this little problem by the careful use of curtains! :cheers:

2nd that

Although I have big windows throughout and wish for potholes in the bedroom there is nothing better than watching the wind in the trees, the moon moving across the sky and they makes the boat feel big and light.

OK, so I haven't moved aboard yet, and that day is many months away I am guessing but...

I spent half a day onboard the winterised boat that belongs to my Mum now and read a book, poked around dreaming up storage ideas etc. I had a lovely time!

I admit that I found it a bit weird not being able to see anything but sky out of the portholes (she is fully portholed) and got into a discussion with an elderly boater the same day who said that was the reason he went back on land. He just hated not having a view of trees etc when seated.

I don't feel claustrophobic on the boat and actually feel safe and happy there, but wonder to myself whether this window thing would ever become an issue in the future.

I hope my asking about this doesn't inflame anyone, as it seems like a classic rookie comment on reflection, but I'm just wondering what other folks' experiences are of this are?

I could bounce views around with mirrors I guess...

Thanks folks!

Do you have any side hatches?

Time to go and find a boat with big windows and spend half an hour on the towpath in it. I predict you'll get agoraphobia.

On the other hand some people don't value their privacy, don't mind all the towpath walkers gazing straight in at them eating their tea, don't mind sitting in a goldfish bowl, and don't think curtains are totally UNboaty and should only be allowed in houses.

Don't forget pigeon boxes and Houdini hatches let in TONS of light. I bet you don't have any. Forum member Kedian will make and fit some for you if necessary.

Don't worry. It's a 'maturity' thing. Caravan dwellers dabbling at boats insist on big windows, boaters born and bred will have nothing but portholes.... :D

(I love a bit of light trolling!)

MtB

As said, warmer, less condensation, more secure too. I presume you have a side hatch? If it hasn't got one already, get a screen made so you can open the hatch in colder weather & give you a window. You will get used to them, but if push comes to shove, you could add a couple of Windows. Personally, love ports!

Don't worry. It's a 'maturity' thing. Caravan dwellers dabbling at boats insist on big windows, boaters born and bred will have nothing but portholes.... :D

(I love a bit of light trolling!)

MtB

I can kinda understand people having all bus windows but what i really don't understand is the mixed square & round combo, it just looks silly from the outside dunnit

:unsure:

We are all portholes. Living and moving about in a boat means you see far more outside than many people nowadays. Seem to get a better sense of where you are when its temporary it doesn't matter how big the windows are.

And if I feel like being an exhibitionist, I'll just neck 6 pints of Old Rosie and wake up naked in a hedge.

Edited by oarfish

Lots of bus windows here. I just block off those that I don't need as I don't need them, i.e. towpath side or strong sun side.

Starting again I would have less than I have now (a lot) but not portholes.

Grilles are my answer to the security side of the problem.

Snip...

...........Dave

I used to have that problem, but no longer since I've taken to napping in the nude.. B)