Hire Boat Blues

Nysensi

Featured Posts

Due to insurance purposes i wont even let my family use my boat! Like others have said if you did find someone willing i doubt you or they will be properly covered by insurance.

My Insurance (CraftInsure) specifically includes members of my family being covered to use the boat. It is standard wording, not an "extra".

But equally, the house owner is receiving something which is worth money (the use of a boat). By agreeing to this arrangement, they imply that the two services are of equal value, as there is no cash adjustment. It is, surely, therefore an exchange.

Yes, the considerations are equal (because the parties deem them to be so).

So each party is allowing use of his property for a consideration.

BOTH are hiring

My Insurance (CraftInsure) specifically includes members of my family being covered to use the boat. It is standard wording, not an "extra".

Don't tell everyone, that's my excuse why we can't let anyone else use the boat rolleyes.gif

Many thanks,for the responses, I can see the pitfalls now particularly over insurance issues, which I had not even thought of, all things considered I think its the share option for us, although I do worry about being able to find the time that I will WANT to spend using my four weeks!, maybe a 2 week share for starters.

Many thanks,for the responses, I can see the pitfalls now particularly over insurance issues, which I had not even thought of, all things considered I think its the share option for us, although I do worry about being able to find the time that I will WANT to spend using my four weeks!, maybe a 2 week share for starters.

Do you have constraints as to when you would want/need/able to take time off work? Eg are you restricted to term times? Unfortunately, with share boats, one person can't have 4 weeks of summer, the year needs to be split out and its a bit of a roll of the dice. Although we don't have a shareboat (we own outright) I believe some shares are cooperative, or flexible, on swapping dates round to suit most or all of the owners.

We have a share in a boat. When you get enough posts to be able to pm send me one and I will explain how ours works. A bit long winded for a thread.

Jerra, thanks will do, are we able to correspond via email? our timings are very flexible in fact school term and summer are the periods we would like to avoid, spring and autumn for us every time! are we able to correspond outside the forum via email?

Jerra, thanks will do, are we able to correspond via email? our timings are very flexible in fact school term and summer are the periods we would like to avoid, spring and autumn for us every time! are we able to correspond outside the forum via email?

Would you not take chugga from middlewich narrowboats up on his offer? As i not sure if you realise but thats infact an excellent offer

Would you not take chugga from middlewich narrowboats up on his offer? As i not sure if you realise but thats infact an excellent offer

I agree, but as I understand things long term the OP is considering share boating.

As you say an excellent offer until they are ready to go along the share route.

You need to pop up another two posts then I can PM you. It doesn't matter what you say just reply to something.

Maybe don't discount boat shares. They may not be the large expense you think.

We were in a private share group for 4 years that has now been operating for 10 years. We found out so much about boats and the waterways. Making new friends was an unexpected bonus. We only left when circumstances meant we could move onto our qwn boat

Towergate Mardon allow anyone "who is navigating or in charge of your boat with your permission" with a few exceptions such as boatyard employees - hopefully covered by their third party insurance. There is a slight ambiguity which I will be writing to clarify but, as another poster mentioned, I currently do not intend to tell anyone ;)

CraftInsure - standard T&C's

"This cover will extend, subject to the terms and limitations to any person in charge of “BoatNameHere” with your

permission".

Craftinsure Limited trading as craftinsure.com, Underwriting Agents for Navigators & General (a trading

name of Zurich Insurance plc)

Here's a hypothetical situation to tax your minds. A friend of mine owns a boat. He takes his family out on a two week cruise, and has to end the cruise after two weeks some considerable distance from his home marina. He asks some friends to bring his boat home for him. Friends (i.e. not family !) arrive in their car, swap car for boat and boat owner (and his family) go home in friends car while friends take boat back to home marina. On the way back, the boat runs low on diesel, so the friends fill it up. Boat and car back safe, all happy.... ? Do folks here think that the boat would be adequately insured on you "bog standard" policy in the event of a 'problem' ?

Edited by Pete of Ebor

Here's a hypothetical situation to tax your minds. A friend of mine owns a boat. He takes his family out on a two week cruise, and has to end the cruise after two weeks some considerable distance from his home marina. He asks some friends to bring his boat home for him. Friends (i.e. not family !) arrive in their car, swap car for boat and boat owner (and his family) go home in friends car while friends take boat back to home marina. On the way back, the boat runs low on diesel, so the friends fill it up. Boat and car back safe, all happy.... ? Do folks here think that the boat would be adequately insured on you "bog standard" policy in the event of a 'problem' ?

Most people with a permanent mooring plan a 2 week cruise to start and end at the same place. Did you really mean to type it as above?

On the question itself....it would depend on the policy wording.

As for hiring, it doesn't look like hiring. If I borrow a friend's car, and do a number of trips in it, and fill it with fuel, its not hiring the car. Same could be said for buying a gas bottle, getting a pump out done, filling up the water, and possibly replenishing any solid fuel used.

Are they friends or "friends"?

Are they friends or "friends"?

No. just longstanding friends as opposed to family... I understand some policies specifically mention family as being covered.

The real point is that I think we all think we know what our policies cover, be it car, boat, home or whatever, but the bottom line is that you must read the small print. (...and maybe even assume that the insurer will try to wriggle out if at all possible, or am I just being cynical.. :wacko: )

One thing that I found out about some motor insurance policies is that even if a spouse is named on the policy, it's usually ONLY the policyholder who is allowed to drive other cars - not the spouse ! - if you disagree, look at the wording on your policy. If it says ".. the policyholder may also drive.. etc.. then it means the policyholder and NOT the spouse. A friend of mine got done for no insurance over this very thing. :o

One thing that I found out about some motor insurance policies is that even if a spouse is named on the policy, it's usually ONLY the policyholder who is allowed to drive other cars - not the spouse ! - if you disagree, look at the wording on your policy. If it says ".. the policyholder may also drive.. etc.. then it means the policyholder and NOT the spouse. A friend of mine got done for no insurance over this very thing. :o

and be aware also that the other car being driven usually has to be insured in its own right to.