Upside Down fire

grey wolf

Featured Posts

Hmm, it says it's suitable for 'slow burn log-burners' presumably the draw on our chimneys would draw the heat upwards and so not work in our logburners and ranges.

Nice site, food for thought.

My link Thought this may be of interest it applies equally to contained fires apparently :rolleyes:

Graham, of Alnwick, explained the technique a little while ago. I think he said it was how Victorian and Edwardian parlour maids were taught start steam locomotive fires without getting their hands dirty, or something.

It does work, but a good dollop of dirty diesel and a firelighter is much more fun.

N

I think most people with stoves have already done this, I know I have when the bloomin fires 'gawn an gawn aart' with unburnt coals still in it and you couldn't be bothered to clear out and relay it but done the upside down thing and hoped for the best, and with enough kindling it should recover when all the red hot kindling embers falls and surrounds the ready and waiting coals.

I think most people with stoves have already done this, I know I have when the bloomin fires 'gawn an gawn aart' with unburnt coals still in it and you couldn't be bothered to clear out and relay it but done the upside down thing and hoped for the best, and with enough kindling it should recover when all the red hot kindling embers falls and surrounds the ready and waiting coals.

Agreed - i've done the same loads of times both on the boat and at home in various fires/stoves - just never considered the science behind it.

will have to try it on a proper from scratch campfire or BBQ, as in front of an audience you'd look like a magician ...or a complete numpty if it didn't work...

thing is the usual rules apply you need plenty of good kindling (or firelighter) building up the size of the fuel gradually and a good air supply..

Hmm, it says it's suitable for 'slow burn log-burners' presumably the draw on our chimneys would draw the heat upwards and so not work in our logburners and ranges.

Nice site, food for thought.

I think that you might have missed the point that it is the radiated heat that ignites the lower layers, not the convected heat.

Nick

I am trying the idea now.

Using a 5kW Stovax in the living room with a flat floor ie no multifuel conversion.

Top and bottom draft fully open.

Two lumps (4" x 3") planed softwood at the bottom.

Two large lump split oak above

Six pieces of kindling with half a fire lighter in the the middle.

Lit it 10mins ago.

Kindling mostly burned away now and the oak sort of burning at the upper surface.

Waiting patiently

I'll be back glare.gif

N

Using a 5kW Stovax in the living room with a flat floor ie no multifuel conversion.

Lit it 10mins ago.

Kindling mostly burned away now and the oak sort of burning at the upper surface.

Waiting patiently

I'll be back glare.gif

N

Hm...

Not out but not blazing either. Lit the normal way it would have been burning merrily by now.

N

I would have thought that an enclosed fire with only bottom ventilation the bottom layer is likely to cool due to inrush of air, unlike an open fire where the ventilation can come from higher up at the sides. On that basis on a stove with top and bottom ventilation the bottom one should be closed?

Lit it 10mins ago.

Waiting patiently

I'll be back glare.gif

N

Hm...

Not out but not blazing either. Lit the normal way it would have been burning merrily by now.

N

Had to go and do other things. Left the fire smouldering inan uninteresting sort of way. Came back 25mins later and it was going a treat.

AFAICT the advantage is that I got nice bright flames much earlier and much less smoke. The disadvantage is that it burned right down and only came up later.

Next time I shall try it with the bottom draft closed.

N

N