Bolton, Bury, Manchester Canal

bowten

Featured Posts

Some photos I found showing the Canal in and around Bolton.

ScreenShot239.jpgScreenShot240.jpgScreenShot237.jpgScreenShot236.jpgScreenShot235.jpgScreenShot234.jpgScreenShot231.jpgScreenShot230.jpg

The last two photos show Ringley village and the canal at Darcy Lever where I use to play when I was a kid.Two of the photos show the breach near Kearsley which eventually closed the canal the date was around 1936.

There's another one here which I can't reproduce for copyright reasons but I can post a link-

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=68884&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=24707

This is off the Manchester local images site and surprisingly the only image of the MB&B on it!

It is of course the entrance from the Irwell.

There's another one here which I can't reproduce for copyright reasons but I can post a link-

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=68884&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=24707

This is off the Manchester local images site and surprisingly the only image of the MB&B on it!

It is of course the entrance from the Irwell.

And the same view in 2008:

Clicky

I spent a few weekends helping the volunteers early this year. It's volunteers on a w/e and crimmo's from agecroft nick of a week - passing pedestrians are apt to be confused and shout abuse at the volunteers by mistake !

Anyhow, the volunteers are a great friendly crowd, and every few w/e's a buffet is laid on at lunch.

We helped clear offcuts and branches from felled trees which have ntaurally grown in the bed, and spent much time scraping out grass from between the cobbles ("sets") - this latter exercise a tad peeving as noone qualified to then spray weedkiller (eg: Cart ?) actually does so, therefore the grass grows back ! This was suggested partly due to wildlife concerns, but I wasn't convinced. I suggested some nightime guerilla weedkilling... All that said, the MB&B volunteers keep up the work, as their contribution, even if a little lightweight, does much politically to attract sponsors, keep up the pressure on other "stakeholders", and keep the resto effort alive in these straitened times.

Pip pip Norm

see also http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/barges-on-a-canal-107275

Edited by normanmarshman

I spent a few weekends helping the volunteers early this year. It's volunteers on a w/e and crimmo's from agecroft nick of a week - passing pedestrians are apt to be confused and shout abuse at the volunteers by mistake !

I take it you're not working on the Salford end then, if you were, they wouldn't be shouting abuse - it would be hi Dad, hi uncle, hi brother.

<ducks and runs for cover>

On new year's day we went for a walk to look at the rebuilt junction of the MB&B with the Irwell. Sadly the place was neglected, the water above Lock 1 was only a few inches deep.

I believe the water has to be pumped from the river. There was a railed off area with some heavy 3 phase cables sawn off by the ground. Maybe the equipment has been nicked?

Very sad that such a noble effort to restore this canal is in such a vandalised state.

The Meccano bridge at the top of Nob End locks looks at first sight bizarre, but on second look it is a brilliant idea!!

Mike & Jean

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Those of us brought up in Kearsley would claim Nob Inn as their own!

Tim

That brings back memories.Did any of you go to the Farmers Arms near the canal in Radcliffe in the late 70s early 80s?

Edited by bowten

That brings back memories.Did any of you go to the Farmers Arms near the canal in Radcliffe in the late 70s early 80s?

Oh yes! I still have the scars!!

The Horseshoe in Ringley was also a canal pub on the Manchester length. Now a Gastro pub, but the beer, Thwaites, Is good.

Mike.

Edited to correct thick fingers.