Plans for 2013

Dave_P

Featured Posts

No problem doing the Trent solo provided it's not in flood. Listen to what the lockies advise re times and tides and try and find out how to enter Keadby without hitting the walls. I've yet to manage that.

Keadby is the easy one. It's bloody west Stockwith we have an issue with. That said our strike rate is getting better, ten entries and four hits. Sue the lockie keeps track of us locals!

1) Get enough business between now and April that I can afford to keep my boat.

2) Find some poor soul willing to let me crew on the BCN Challenge.

3) Do the aforementioned BCN Challenge and the Three Rivers Race in the space of a fortnight.

I am currently mustering crew for various bits of river section so they can do the mad scramble up various walls for mooring.

I didn't enjoy mooring solo going upstream at the very high wall at Newark nor the mad dash to get bow rope on dodgy private very rickety pontoon at Fiskerton. The very short visitor section was full of plastic boats which probably wouldn't have appreciated me mooring alongside. I was meeting someone there and time was of the essence!

I am presuming downstream might be a bit easier in that you already have back rope in hand for quick mooring of upstream end of boat. I am however 3 years older ... Naughty Cal I may call upon you as outrider if you are still in the area when I get there. Planning on attempting West Stockwith and Keadby entrances. Just for the practice you understand.

Our 'big' trip will be in June/July when we go to the Liverpool Docks, really looking forward to that!

Earlier in the year we'll be out for a couple of shorter trips, We are going to take our cat with us for the first time, we are curious to see how he reacts to the long car drive and to the boat.

Fingers crossed he likes it, for then we can take him along on more trips.

Circumstances have changed (in a positive way) so from this year we can spend more time on the boat. I really would like to have the cat with us, it doesn't seem fair that he has to go to the cattery everytime we are having fun on the boat.

Helen

No problem doing the Trent solo provided it's not in flood. Listen to what the lockies advise re times and tides and try and find out how to enter Keadby without hitting the walls. I've yet to manage that.

Thanks Doc

Where you off to ?

Linda has not yet decided. Half the people she has e-mailed CBA to reply. Somewhere cheaper and "up north"...well probably a bit further north than BEM. She really wants something with a full length pontoon or bankside....so if you hear of anything :rolleyes:

Too many choices and probably not enough time. Looking forward to a trip down the Regents. Started the new year with a trip up the Lee to Ware today. It was a beautiful blue sky and a lovely calm ride. A real pleasure.

To get into Keadby, Turn upstream just below the lock and give it all the beans about 30 foot from the bank until the front end is just past the entrance, put the tiller hard over quickly ( the tide helps PUSH it round........straighten just before you are lined up and keep the power ON till half way in the lock.............Then throttle back and sort out the abruptly needed stop..............If you get it wrong the is a loud "donging" noise and broken pottery in my experience. But it works with a 47ft trad if you get it right , its the same at Stockwith.

Happy New Year

Old Git