Carnage At Bell Weir

Serenity Malc

Featured Posts

Yello,

Here's the first piece of flotsum from Bell Weir strikng my dingy a glancing blow at 5 to 6 knots !! :angry:

lucky10357thjan2013003.jpg

Just the 3-4 tonne Birchwood cruiser to come now .... although it looks like it may sink and come downstream in big pieces.

Not impressed !

Malc.

Yello,

Here's the first piece of flotsum from Bell Weir strikng my dingy a glancing blow at 5 to 6 knots !! :angry:

lucky10357thjan2013003.jpg

Just the 3-4 tonne Birchwood cruiser to come now .... although it looks like it may sink and come downstream in big pieces.

Not impressed !

Malc.

Poor you Malc! It must be very stressful, having to keep a watchful eye on what is coming downsteam all the time.

There are lots of Highs about living on the Thames, but this is one of the Lows.

Take care

Jo.

Can you not move your dinghy elsewhere until the debris clears?

I do have to say that was my first thought too looking at the pic. - it seems to be asking for trouble leaving it there given the known risks.

Yello,

Unfortunately there's no other spot on the mooring to leave my dingy ... I had thought of that one. The boat astern my barge is too close.

This is not a millpond .... like 5 - 6 knots .... in my dressing gown, I wasn't about to embark on any heroic acts of recovery or salvage. So yes it's still making it's way down stream to Staines Upon Thames .... providing it gets past the overhanging trees and the islands.

Malc. :unsure:

Yello,

Unfortunately there's no other spot on the mooring to leave my dingy ... I had thought of that one. The boat astern my barge is too close.

This is not a millpond .... like 5 - 6 knots .... in my dressing gown, I wasn't about to embark on any heroic acts of recovery or salvage. So yes it's still making it's way down stream to Staines Upon Thames .... providing it gets past the overhanging trees and the islands.

Malc. :unsure:

any room on the bank for the dingy??

Yello,

It's a 12ft dingy with outboard, and I'm not Superman .... and the stream rips under my barge. Plus there's scaffold poles beneath the pontoon, an anchor on the bow of the barge behind and the water is dropping quite quickly now. Normally the pontoon is 3'6" above the water level.

I'll have to do something though. However risky.

lucky10357thjan2013.jpg

Malc.

ps .... ironically the piece of flotsum was called 'Lucky' ! Can I still say that here ?

Coat .... :unsure:

Edited by Serenity Malc

Yello,

It's a 12ft dingy with outboard, and I'm not Superman .... and the stream rips under my barge. Plus there's scaffold poles beneath the pontoon, an anchor on the bow of the barge behind and the water is dropping quite quickly now. Normally the pontoon is 3'6" above the water level.

I'll have to do something though. However risky.

lucky10357thjan2013.jpg

Malc.

ps .... ironically the piece of flotsum was called 'Lucky' ! Can I still say that here ?

Coat .... :unsure:

Unless you dinghy is stupidly wide then there is surely enough room there to stick it now into the bank between your boat and the next one!

No one said it was a mill pond!

Malc - is there no-one around who can help you lift that dingy onto your boat roof even.

I can't see from your pics as to what else is up there but get the OB off to make it a bit lighter and whip it up onto the roof (inverted) has got to better than leaving it there

- or as NC said surely it will fit that gap comfortably.

I'm wondering if Malc is using the dingy on a regular basis to get back and forth from an island mooring.

If not, it doesn't look as though it would be too difficult to drag it out across that pontoon and onto the grass.

MtB