Cost of Travel from West Midlands to Skipton

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

With the cost of the fuel, and the running costs, I don't believe that the HMRC figure covers it. Your numbers of £6 a gallon and 30 to the gallon are optimistic to start with, eg. I filled up with diesel on the M1 yesterday 149.9p a litre so over £8 a gallon. For many people, and I include myself in this, you make a loss at the HMRC figures. For a charity I would not however expect them to be paying more than the HMRC figure for travel for volunteers (although paid staff I would expect will get much more than that of course). So I think what he is asking for is perfectly acceptable within normal practice of covering costs.

If you really don't believe what it costs to run a car try this random calculator and put in some reasonable figures.

I know what it costs to run a car. And I know that I would never choose to fill up at a motorway service station. Petrol around here is about 130 to 133/litre, diesel about 141. On a long trip I don't think 30 miles per gallon is out of the question. My car manages it and it is relatively thirsty. A diesel car should definitly be managing it. Plenty of theose costs he would be paying anyway - insurance, VED, breakdown insurance.

Edited by PiRSqwared

He could of course hire a car for 24hrs, ( vw golf £30, 45 to the gallon ). No wear and tear on his motor and considerably less than £150. Unless of course he is just being greedy or looking to get out of going by making the cost heavy. Or perhaps he is just being downright arrogant and pompous, feeling we are not worthy of his time.

He could of course hire a car for 24hrs, ( vw golf £30, 45 to the gallon ). No wear and tear on his motor and considerably less than £150. Unless of course he is just being greedy or looking to get out of going by making the cost heavy. Or perhaps he is just being downright arrogant and pompous, feeling we are not worthy of his time.

I have now also received an email from V Welch and I have to say I am not impressed with the tone taken in either emails (including C Henderson) I would put them on here but not sure of the legal side of that. Lets just say that it appears that in the case of Henderson the meeting was not important enough for him to attend and one email from Welch was very sarcastic.

I have now also received an email from V Welch and I have to say I am not impressed with the tone taken in either emails (including C Henderson) I would put them on here but not sure of the legal side of that. Lets just say that it appears that in the case of Henderson the meeting was not important enough for him to attend and one email from Welch was very sarcastic.

Personally I wouldn't bother with them if that is their attitude. It seems that Ivor Caplan is the only one of the IWA lot who is taking the role at all seriously. Given the limited powers of the council I don't see what the others have to be so haughty about

Edited by PiRSqwared

These people are supposed to representing ALL boaters. If they turn their nose up or make sarcastic comments, this should be put back to the Trustees.

I claimed for a trip to Leigh Delamare on the M4 last week, at 25p per mile. It was 148M each way, I think the total claim was just over £70. A full tank of diesel for my car is about £61 at normal prices (£1.39) and I only used half of that. Therefore my wear and tear allowance was about £35.

Perhaps it should be pointed out to the reps that they are claiming money that could be beter used by the Charity they are now part of, and a more reasonable level of claim should be expected.

All credit to Ivor Caplan, however, the rest of the bunch obviously only find IWA meetings important enough to take part in.

These people are supposed to representing ALL boaters. If they turn their nose up or make sarcastic comments, this should be put back to the Trustees.

I claimed for a trip to Leigh Delamare on the M4 last week, at 25p per mile. It was 148M each way, I think the total claim was just over £70. A full tank of diesel for my car is about £61 at normal prices (£1.39) and I only used half of that. Therefore my wear and tear allowance was about £35.

Perhaps it should be pointed out to the reps that they are claiming money that could be beter used by the Charity they are now part of, and a more reasonable level of claim should be expected.

All credit to Ivor Caplan, however, the rest of the bunch obviously only find IWA meetings important enough to take part in.

Agree there is no grounds for rudeness, however if attending a meeting on CRT business they should be entitled to claim expenses in accordance and in compliance with CRT's expenss policy, whether anyone claims or not is a matter for them. It may indeed be more cost effective for just one rep to attend and report back.

Agree there is no grounds for rudeness, however if attending a meeting on CRT business they should be entitled to claim expenses in accordance and in compliance with CRT's expenss policy, whether anyone claims or not is a matter for them. It may indeed be more cost effective for just one rep to attend and report back.

As I said before I have no problem with expenses I just think that with CRT being a charity then maybe £150 is a bit excessive(but it seems I was wrong) I do fully understand expenses when I was in business for example any member of staff do a flight over 5 hours was allowed to fly business class (my flight budget was nearly £500,000 pa) then I bought in a system where if people flew ordinary class I would split the difference with them between the 2 costs, for example return Business class to Australia then was about £3,500 and ordinary was about £700 so the employee would get over £1,000 (yes tax was paid on this) for hotels I set a budget of £150 a night including dinner anything less that was spent the the employee would get the full difference. Guess what I nearly halved travel expenses in 1 year. So what I am trying to say is I just feel that the expenses within CRT people should remember it is a charity.

Oh yes had a very nice email from John Dodwell (Trustee) saying that unfortunately he would be away on holiday for the meeting and genuinely sorry he could not attend.

Edited by cotswoldsman

As I said before I have no problem with expenses I just think that with CRT being a charity then maybe £150 is a bit excessive(but it seems I was wrong) I do fully understand expenses when I was in business for example any member of staff do a flight over 5 hours was allowed to fly business class (my flight budget was nearly £500,000 pa) then I bought in a system where if people flew ordinary class I would split the difference with them between the 2 costs, for example return Business class to Australia then was about £3,500 and ordinary was about £700 so the employee would get over £1,000 (yes tax was paid on this) for hotels I set a budget of £150 a night including dinner anything less that was spent the the employee would get the full difference. Guess what I nearly halved travel expenses in 1 year. So what I am trying to say is I just feel that the expenses within CRT people should remember it is a charity.

Oh yes had a very nice email from John Dodwell (Trustee) saying that unfortunately he would be away on holiday for the meeting and genuinely sorry he could not attend.

We stuck to business class flights as all our consultants were expected to get off the flight and start work, often travelling straight offshore. It was however built into our clients invoice rate to be fair. Changing expense policy for all staff is fine but perhaps a decision for CRT management not us, changing it selectively for boaters reps is perhaps more contentious . If they are giving up their time unpaid then I think to claim whatever the set level of expenses seems fair. I hope the discussions are fruitfull

We stuck to business class flights as all our consultants were expected to get off the flight and start work, often travelling straight offshore. It was however built into our clients invoice rate to be fair. Changing expense policy for all staff is fine but perhaps a decision for CRT management not us, changing it selectively for boaters reps is perhaps more contentious . If they are giving up their time unpaid then I think to claim whatever the set level of expenses seems fair. I hope the discussions are fruitfull

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree maybe I am just naive (???) I was more than happy to pay the £100 cost to hire a room for this meeting and it would never occur to me to claim this money back from a charity. Mind you I do expect people to pay for there own coffee and beer etc.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree maybe I am just naive (???) I was more than happy to pay the £100 cost to hire a room for this meeting and it would never occur to me to claim this money back from a charity. Mind you I do expect people to pay for there own coffee and beer etc.

I hope you are not out of pocket, can you not pass the hat around amongst those that do attend , including any from CRT or boaters reps, surely those that can afford to contribute will do.

I hope you are not out of pocket, can you not pass the hat around amongst those that do attend , including any from CRT or boaters reps, surely those that can afford to contribute will do.

No I am just pleased there are boaters who are interested enough to travel and give up there time. No boaters representatives attending but then guess they would claim any expense back off CRT I am happy to pay if only as a thank you to those attending should be a good meeting.

Ok I will give a starting point.

I invited Clive Henderson and other Boaters Representatives to attend a Boaters Meeting in Skipton the only one that replied was Clive Henderson after 10 days. He said as he would have to come from West Midlands he would need £150 in expenses to come to Skipton and back the same day in his car.

£50 tops for petrol and give him a salmon paste sandwich and a cuppa out of a flask. If you want to splash out take him to Bizzy Lizzies for lunch.

Video conferencing ? all that can attend the meeting do.The others stuck on the end of computer.with notes on non attendance that can be quoted when elections come up again..I am sure the powers that be have computers spare and they have the advantage that you can switch off the sound..

Interesting. My employer pays 40p per mile on the basis that it is the most HMRC will allow without having to pay tax and national insurance.

Not all employers are totally above scrutiny where truth is concerned

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/travel.htm

Travel - mileage and fuel allowances

Approved mileage ratesFrom 2002/03 to 2010/11First 10,000 business miles in the tax yearEach business mile over 10,000 in the tax yearCars and vans40p25pMotor cycles24p24pBicycles20p20pApproved mileage ratesFrom 2011/12First 10,000 business miles in the tax yearEach business mile over 10,000 in the tax yearCars and vans45p25pMotor cycles24p24pBicycles20p20p

Passenger payments - cars and vans

5p per passenger per business mile for carrying fellow employees in a car or van on journeys which are also work journeys for them. Only payments specifically for carrying passengers count and there is no relief if you receive less than 5p or nothing at all.

Company Cars

The charge is based on the price of the car for tax purposes (normally the list price) and accessories multiplied by an appropriate percentage based on the level of CO2 emissions and the fuel the car uses. There is a ready-reckoner of appropriate percentages for petrol-powered cars and summaries of adjustments to those percentages for years from 2002/03 to 2005/06 and for years from 2006/07 onwards.