Morso Squirrel with Back Boiler

mad-runner

Featured Posts

Does anyone know how hot is too hot for running a Morso Squirrel with a back boiler?

I was interested to know how hot I was running mine and after having bought an oven thermometer and stuck it on top of the stove (not on the flue), the temperature can get up to 150-200C (300-400F). I have a pump running to circulate the water, but am still slightly nervous about 'kettling' the back boiler.

Thanks

I would have thought the temp of the pipe on the outlet of the boiler would be a more accurate check than the stove top. I think you are looking at somewhere in the region of 80 deg c for the pipe close to where it leaves the boiler and obviously considerably less on the return.

I would have thought the temp of the pipe on the outlet of the boiler would be a more accurate check than the stove top. I think you are looking at somewhere in the region of 80 deg c for the pipe close to where it leaves the boiler and obviously considerably less on the return.

Yes, water circulating in the pipe keeps it cooler

not took a temp on the actual fire but room temp is around 25/30c when burning up, if its new to you be careful as not to run it too hot all the time as this burns out the shaking centre grate, we have bought one every year since new at a cost of £35 a go.

Does anyone know how hot is too hot for running a Morso Squirrel with a back boiler?

I was interested to know how hot I was running mine and after having bought an oven thermometer and stuck it on top of the stove (not on the flue), the temperature can get up to 150-200C (300-400F). I have a pump running to circulate the water, but am still slightly nervous about 'kettling' the back boiler.

Thanks

It's getting too hot when the water in the back boiler starts making noises, though mine has been seriously boiled without too much harm- on one occasion all the soldered joints within three feet of the boiler melted! At the point it starts to make noises the water in the boiler will be quite a way from boiling but is getting hot enough to release the dissolved gases. At that point you should turn the stove down a bit. On most NB's and quite a few WB's this may require special dress (or lack of it) in order to withstand the cabin environment. Not for nothing do many boaters of my acquaintance get their T-shirts out of storage ready for the winter.

Provided the radiators can absorb more than the output of the boiler (4kW??) and the water can move round fast enough to transfer the heat to the rads it should not be possible to boil the stove. That would be a rare set-up for a NB though and in any event you will find that running it very hard quickly burns out the riddling grate.

N