Macerator toilet recommendations

Hessie

Featured Posts

Hi, I've had a Leesan macerator pump out toilet for the last few years which has now broken irreparably. I'd like to replace it with another pump out macerator ( yes I know cassettes are better) but want a reliable one ( again probably a misnomer).

The Leesan one I had blocked on a number of occasions (only body waste involved) and was a pain to flush. it was my most hated item on the boat, but the pump out emptying feature really suits my lifestyle. in view of this i wondered if regular blocking is a feature of macerator toilets and i have to get used to it or If i just had a bad one.

Does anyone have a macerator toilet or toilet brand they'd recommend?

Taa H

I can't advise which one to get but I am happy to say I would avoid a SaniMarin electric flush macerator - ours just may have been a bad experience though. Others may disagree.

We've got two SaniMarins in Lionheart. Been on there 15 years. Never had a problem with them including 3 years full time live aboard. Never broken, never misbehaved. Only blocked once when some silly woman put something down that you're not supposed to.

No problems so far with our Vetus system - highly recommended with space-age controls too!

+1. We originally fitted a Jabsco bog, which, after 2 years leaked around the shaft seal...carried out an overhaul,...two months later,leaks again.Fitted a Vetus, at some considerable expense, and it has been fine for the last five years,probably ten flushes per day.

2 x Tecma Silence - no problems in 10 years except had to service an inlet valve last year.

Also Tecma Silence, still fine after 7 years. Had to change the flap valve (on the exhaust side) as it was a bit crusty (hard water I think). I bought another valve and soaked the original in vinegar to clear all the crud off. Now I have a spare for when it crusts up again.

I'd had a tecma recommended to me and wondered what the general feeling about them was, but that is sounding positive.

If a Leesan macerator blocks regularly then either something's being put down there that shouldn't or the installation is faulty.

Later Leesan macerators have been improved and are simpler to install.

As far as I am aware nothing went down that shouldn't but the flush was very pitiful. Good on water usage bad on flushing. I got good with my bucket of water.

No idea what my make is (whatever Black Prince were fitting in their Duchess class boats in the late nineties). Mine only gets blocked by man poo :blink: and posh loo roll. :D

As I buy TescoValue loo roll, I'm alright :)

BSP - - Increase the beans and pulses content in his meals, and up the spice levels in his curries.

That should solve the first listed problem.

I can't remember what model our is but it is a Tecma. It is 8 years old and it has never got blocked. We have not serviced any seals and it is working fine.

We had one problem with it which turned out to be a faulty switch/relay which was easily and cheaply replaced - or at least would have been if the boat builder had put an inspection panel in the side of the bed base to stop us from having to take the whole bed apart :wacko:

Also have a Tecma, been installed at least 10 years (can't remember exact year) Only time it stopped working was when a visitor dropped a small perfume bottle down it and then tried to flush it !!! :banghead: When going away from boat for a week or two always pour in a gallon of white vinegar and leave it to soak. (incidentally mine is most definitely NOT silent)

I'd had a tecma recommended to me and wondered what the general feeling about them was, but that is sounding positive.

As far as I am aware nothing went down that shouldn't but the flush was very pitiful. Good on water usage bad on flushing. I got good with my bucket of water.

I have a Tecma on my boat and it has been OK except for a faulty electrical inlet valve that allowed water into the bowl continuously (luckily we spotted it before too much got onto the floor) and was replaced under warranty. The quantity of flush water (and hence flush efficiency) is controllable by a small potentiometer mounted on the back of the push button control panel.

Roger

Hi, I've had a Leesan macerator pump out toilet for the last few years which has now broken irreparably. I'd like to replace it with another pump out macerator ( yes I know cassettes are better) but want a reliable one ( again probably a misnomer).

The Leesan one I had blocked on a number of occasions (only body waste involved) and was a pain to flush. it was my most hated item on the boat, but the pump out emptying feature really suits my lifestyle. in view of this i wondered if regular blocking is a feature of macerator toilets and i have to get used to it or If i just had a bad one.

Does anyone have a macerator toilet or toilet brand they'd recommend?

Taa H

You could do a lot worse than a Headhunter toilet. It has NO moving parts, and deals with all manner of rubbish including coins and unmentionables. It's an American firm, but I don't know if they have a distribution network over here. Take a look at their website www.headhunterinc.com. I've seen them working onboard, and they seem to fit the bill, no fuss, no mess

You could do a lot worse than a Headhunter toilet. It has NO moving parts, and deals with all manner of rubbish including coins and unmentionables. It's an American firm, but I don't know if they have a distribution network over here. Take a look at their website www.headhunterinc.com. I've seen them working onboard, and they seem to fit the bill, no fuss, no mess

Yeah, but they use one U.S. gallon of water per flush!That is way too much. :unsure:

We have a Vetus which is a Sanimarine. When it works its great, but about one in 5 flushes of a "big job" we get back flow. Not to be too graphic we get our recent deposit sent back as a bowl full of gravy.

I have fitted it in line with the instructions and it is working within its design peramitors.

Has anyone had this and overcome the problem? I have spoken to Vetus and they of course say this is not a known problem.

I did think it might be Voltage drop initially not giving it the whoosh, but fully charged and on power it still does the same.

This has to be something to do with the back flow valve which I have serviced i.e. took it out inspected it and found nothing obvious wrong.