Nearly got a boat

Alanji

Featured Posts

Very excited. Just have the survey to get through but doubt it will be a problem. Boat has obviously been very well looked after by the previous owner. Not the one I was intending to buy and a bit more expensive but in much better condition.

Various works been agreed with the boatyard including installing a stove, converting cross bed back,installing a washing machine, blacking etc.

The people at Castle Marina have been great and very helpful.

http://www.notts-boats.co.uk/narrowboat-lucylowther.html

Very excited. Just have the survey to get through but doubt it will be a problem. Boat has obviously been very well looked after by the previous owner. Not the one I was intending to buy and a bit more expensive but in much better condition.

Various works been agreed with the boatyard including installing a stove, converting cross bed back,installing a washing machine, blacking etc.

The people at Castle Marina have been great and very helpful.

http://www.notts-boats.co.uk/narrowboat-lucylowther.html

Congratz. :cheers:

Hope it all goes alright.

Congratulations Alanji. Looks a nice boat, and as you say, well looked after. Good luck with the survey. Ours is a week today and even though I've been told it should sail through I'm still on tenterhooks as we've set our hearts on it.

Oh and ours is a reverse layout too, which we much prefer. Didn't think we would but the shared ownership one we had was, and we loved it.

Good luck and I hope it all works out well as it does 99% of the time, but if you look at the topic (currently one above yours) there is a lot that can go wrong both with the individuals involved and their agents. "The unknown pitfalls of buying a narrowboat" condenses into a nutshell the odd things that can happen when you are dealing with agents and the downright irrational attitude some boat owners can adopt where money becomes involved. Same goes for houses, cars etc you thought you'd done a deal, price seemed fair then suddenly it all goes t*ts up. If you start to go above what is realistic then just walk away, there's plenty more boats out there, it's a buyers' market don't let your heart rule your head.

I was told "you don't find the boat, the boat finds you" and it's true, probably I paid over the odds for a boat that wanted me and I wanted it but I'm happy with the way it worked out so maybe I'm out on the deal but I'm happy, if I had to sell at the market rate I'd be out 3-4 maybe a bit more cos of some of the work I've had to have done which I can live with but the Unknown Pitfalls post is a bit of a hint. Stillfingers crossed and hope it all goes well.

Good luck with the survey, We have just had a survey done on a 2005 58 ft trad, it came back with a lot of pitting and rust on the hull.The pitting on the sides was nearly 1mm deep and after looking at all the options of sand blasting and 2 coat epoxy we decided after a lot of thought to walk away.

I think the important thing is not to let your heart rule over your head. There are plenty more boats out there.

Good luck with the survey, We have just had a survey done on a 2005 58 ft trad, it came back with a lot of pitting and rust on the hull.The pitting on the sides was nearly 1mm deep and after looking at all the options of sand blasting and 2 coat epoxy we decided after a lot of thought to walk away.

I think the important thing is not to let your heart rule over your head. There are plenty more boats out there.

1mm pitting on 6mm plate (??) isn't exactly the end of the world, provided the rate of erosion can be slowed down in the future. The cost of any such preventative work could be factored into the price you offer post-survey. If the seller won't accept that THEN it's time to walk away, but there's nothing wrong with haggling first.

The way i looked at it was that at below 4mm the boat becomes uninsurable and with 1mm gone it was half way there.With the boat costing nearly 60k i felt it should be in a lot better condition than that.This was also the thought of the surveyor.

The way i looked at it was that at below 4mm the boat becomes uninsurable and with 1mm gone it was half way there.

Well if 4mm was always uninsurable there would be a lot of uninsured boats, given how many were only built that thick in the first place.

With the boat costing nearly 60k i felt it should be in a lot better condition than that.This was also the thought of the surveyor.

Ah, now you didn't say that in the first place, so maybe you have a point!

Survey booked for Wednesday and trial run on Thursday.

That will be 3 times I have visited Nottingham in just over a week - 8 hour round trip but staying the night each time and the first time was on my way back from Scotland so does not really count.

Survey did not show up anything I was not aware of. Now just need the formal mortgage offer - should be this week - and I will be the proud owner of a narrowboat. Exciting - and scary!

Can thoroughly recommend surveyor, Rick Tropman, who was there over 4 hours and gave me lots of helpful advice.

Thanks, CN. Had a trial run today and even though freezing (had to break the ice to get out of the boatyard) so exciting! Handles very well. Just to finally agree what I want to be done - and paying the money!