Billing Aquadrome

Captain Miss Pugwash

Featured Posts

reading BILLING MARINA RULES

15. Billing Aquadrome reserves the right to moor, reberth, move, board, enter or carry out emergency work on any boat if, in Billing Aquadrome's opinion, it is necessary to do so for the purposes of trying to:

avoid damage to the boat or to any other vessel in the Marina; and/or

ensure the safety of other users of the Marina; and/or

ensure the safety of Billing Aquadrome's staff, premises, plant or equipment.

In this instance just why are the marina rules relavent?

Hi Big Col, I think you missed my question in among the other posts. To reiterate,

You're obviously pretty well informed about Billings marina and the local area in general, Big Col- Can I ask what your connection/ interest in the marina is please? (Apologoies if I have missed this in previous posts).

You're obviously pretty well informed about Billings marina and the local area in general, Big Col- Can I ask what your connection/ interest in the marina is please? (Apologoies if I have missed this in previous posts).

He is the marina manager.

He is correct in saying that it was the E.A. that flooded Billing as part of their flood defence stratergy to prevent Northampton from flooding.

However, the way the evacuation was carried out to marina residents was apalling.

Banging on peoples boats and saying get out we are having to evacuate, and then if people enqired if they could stay aboard as they are on floating pontoons, only to be told get out or you will be arrested is hardly helping at a difficult time. We were then left to our own devices, some not knowing where to go, what to do, there was one lady struggling with two cats!

There was no help or assistance offered by Billing staff as far I could see.

Also marina residents were not allowed on the marina to check their boats. I should imagine if it was unsafe for anyone to stay aboard, then it would be even more risky to allow every resident to use the dinghy! However, after Tree's boat sunk, one resident, I think he was formerly in the RN was allowed to use the dinghy at his insistence. And the management did do a bit more checking.

The EA could have also given more warning.

More importantly, although I don't know "Tree", I am very sorry for her boat and glad she is safe.

In this instance just why are the marina rules relavent?

They're not relevent in the case of the evacuation.

They were relevent in the sad case of the sinking boat, so why didn't the management follow this rule and do somthing to prevent it sinking when they were allegedly informed it was listing some time before the evacuation.

The EA gave ample warning of the likely problems and to be fair anyone who lives in the area (I do) would know what to expect. The evacuation didnt take place until at least the Wednesday by which time we had had non stop rain for days. The flood gates hadn't been fully opened earlier as I did notice the Nene White Water centre was underwater but by Thursday when the gates had been opened the level there had subsided.

If people had been allowed to stay on the boats and something had happened to them you would be asking why weren't they forced to leave!!!!

The emergency services were stretched to the limit - sometimes negotiation is not an option and with short daylight hours they wanted to get people off in the daylight.

If something bad had happened it would have created yet more work for the emergency services - like I say anyone who lives locally knew Billing was very likely to be evacuated days before it was done.

The Northampton Washlands take a huge quantity of water and make the place look like an inland sea however twice this year that limit has been reached, the defences in the town only just held and it was reported locally that the Nene through the town was less then 4 inches from going over and the flood sirens from being sounded.

I'm genuinely sorry a boat sank but given the amount of water do you think it is fair to ask people to risk there lives to save a boat - first priority must always be to preserve life

To be honest given the amount of water I'm slightly amazed that Billing wasn't wiped of the face of the earth so perhaps the situation was actually handled well

Well said.

Well sadly you don't reap what you sow in this world. I'm a new member. Tree PM'd me for no real reason when I signed on here just to be bloody nice and wish me well. She touched my heart and I'm gutted for her whatever the in's and outs. I don't know why her boat sank, but I have a gut feeling someone could have intervened and stopped this happening. :( I know that's no help to anyone, but i just had to say it.

• Greenie 2

Well sadly you don't reap what you sow in this world. I'm a new member. Tree PM'd me for no real reason when I signed on here just to be bloody nice and wish me well. She touched my heart and I'm gutted for her whatever the in's and outs. I don't know why her boat sank, but I have a gut feeling someone could have intervened and stopped this happening. :( I know that's no help to anyone, but i just had to say it.

Fully agree. And in addition the OP states that Tree's boat was in trouble before the evacuation and this was 'reported', but nothing was done about it. There must have been quite a few people there who were aware that Tree Spirit was listing but did nothing about it.

I think it is disgraceful.

MtB

The EA gave ample warning of the likely problems and to be fair anyone who lives in the area (I do) would know what to expect. The evacuation didnt take place until at least the Wednesday by which time we had had non stop rain for days. The flood gates hadn't been fully opened earlier as I did notice the Nene White Water centre was underwater but by Thursday when the gates had been opened the level there had subsided.

If people had been allowed to stay on the boats and something had happened to them you would be asking why weren't they forced to leave!!!!

The emergency services were stretched to the limit - sometimes negotiation is not an option and with short daylight hours they wanted to get people off in the daylight.

If something bad had happened it would have created yet more work for the emergency services - like I say anyone who lives locally knew Billing was very likely to be evacuated days before it was done.

The Northampton Washlands take a huge quantity of water and make the place look like an inland sea however twice this year that limit has been reached, the defences in the town only just held and it was reported locally that the Nene through the town was less then 4 inches from going over and the flood sirens from being sounded.

I'm genuinely sorry a boat sank but given the amount of water do you think it is fair to ask people to risk there lives to save a boat - first priority must always be to preserve life

To be honest given the amount of water I'm slightly amazed that Billing wasn't wiped of the face of the earth so perhaps the situation was actually handled well

1. No one as far as I know refused to evacuate, and don't need their intelligence insulting by an explanation as to why they had to.

2. Polite enquiries as to if they could stay on the boat, considering Billing advertise their morrings as on safe floating jetties, being greeted by along the lines of get off or be arrrested was not helpful.

3. There was no help in evacuating or even just asking if any help was required.

4. Not everyone has local knowledge, or due to being at work was not able to get any information regarding flooding. We don't even know where to find out if the EA are going to flood Billing, it doesn't say on their website, and Billing management certainly gave no notice of this happening. A notice could have been put up to warn if the rain continued that the park may be flooded again. They played down the likelyhood of it happening again after last time.

5. You are missing the point about nb Tree Spirit, allegedly it was reported as listing long before any heavy rain or flooding, so why didn't they do something about it before it sunk.

She could "reap what you sow" if anyone had the ability to set up a "fund" I'm too far away to provide practical help but I would be willing to throw money into a pot for someone who is part of OUR community.

I would support this too, although I only know Tree from her posts does anyone close to her know what she needs?

Unfortunately the EA have a choice to make in these situations they either flood Northampton or Billing - they will always choose Billing

You can still see the flood reservoir still looks pretty full

I totally agree if the boat was listing before the rains then something should have been done to stabilise it while the conditions were safe

When the dust has settled and Tree knows what she is facing I would be very happy to chip in to a help Tree appeal.I can offer time and labour if needed.Above that I'd just like to offer best wishes for what is obviously a very distressing time.

Whilst I do feel very sorry for Tree on the loss of her boat,I think it's worth saying that there has been a fair bit of misrepesentation of the whole Billing being evacuated thing. Feel that the people in Billing did their best in what was a very difficult situation for all of us - and no I don't work for them!!

I wasn't threatened with arrest just "advised" fairly forceably to leave for my own safety. The police officer did actually say that he couldn't MAKE anyone leave.Know what, though I had everything I owned on the boat I decided to get off while I could. I felt that those of us here tried to help and support each other. Am sad to see that some people, a few of whom weren't here - felt otherwise.

Understand that Tree may need help in the future but feel maybe this should be left to the professionals in the first instance?

• Greenie 1

Putting aside the ins and outs of fault and blame, Maybe when Tree is ready she could make a list of the things that are needed and we can all see if it is possible to help. Tree has a unique and very kind nature that manages to come across over the forum, I think many people would like to help in some way.

• Greenie 1

I think Wanted's suggestion is a good one and I would like to add that although I have never been fortunate enough to meet Tree (yet) through seeing her unique way of communicating warmth and love on this forum I think the last thing she would want at this time is anyone bickering or picking fault and pointing the finger of blame.

What is done, is done. It cannot be undone and so let us all look to the future and see how we can help Tree rebuild.

• Greenie 1

Putting aside the ins and outs of fault and blame, Maybe when Tree is ready she could make a list of the things that are needed and we can all see if it is possible to help. Tree has a unique and very kind nature that manages to come across over the forum, I think many people would like to help in some way.

You are right. I am only 20 mins give or take from Billing so happy to help if needed.

Whilst I applaud the idea of Treefam, surely her insurance company will pay for the cost of refurbisment of the boat and replacement of the contents - or most of the cost anyway?

That may be true but it depends what sort of policy she has. Unless she has a "new for old" deal she will still be looking for second hand replacements for many of her possessions. Wouldn't it give more personal feeling to her boat if members can help her with replacements rather than buying stuff from strangers on ebay or wherever?

Dear Friends of Tree

Tree is coming to stay with Joe and I from Wednesday to Saturday and she says she will try to make time to see anyone local to here, whilst she is sorting out the crisis of her sunken home. I know she is touched by your kindness. She is a dear friend to us and we too feel very sad for what has happened.

kind regards

Sue and Joe

Agreed...we can certainly offer some things she may need, but until we know the extent of the damage, what her insurance will cover, and what choices she will make at this time, I have no idea what to offer. A 'needs' list, be that in man power,(or woman power) items or whatever, would be useful to us to know how we can help.

I feel sure she will at some point read this, and hopefully understand the good will and desire to help, that the forum is offering....and let us know how we can help.

Dear Friends of Tree

Tree is coming to stay with Joe and I from Wednesday to Saturday and she says she will try to make time to see anyone local to here, whilst she is sorting out the crisis of her sunken home. I know she is touched by your kindness. She is a dear friend to us and we too feel very sad for what has happened.

kind regards

Sue and Joe

I know you will, but please pass on all our best wishes. Also, when the time is tight, Tree just has to ask, and we will all pitch in as much as we can.