Hope the shroppie hasn't frozen yet!

canalboater2012

Featured Posts

What!!! The shroppie fly is now closed? I didnt know this. I know it often recieves missed reviews but we have always enjoyed it!Last visit was the start of September as we were on the 4 counties ring.

Yes, sadly the previous tenants Kate & Andy finally handed their notice to quit last October after struggling to pay Punch Taverns their exorbitant rent. It was like the end of an era for us as shortly after arriving here in Audlem, they allowed us to have a head shaving event in aid of Cancer Research UK, held at the Fly on December 23rd, 2011.

We did it in reaction to hearing that my wife Chrissie's cancer had returned and felt that if she was going to suffer any further with this dreadful disease, she would go out with a fight and help others behind her in their quest for a cure, or at least help with the cost of their care which must be enormous. You can imagine our trepidation in holding a charity evening on this date, so close to Christmas when the recession was biting bitterly. We just hoped that the two of us in shaving our hair off would generate a couple of hundred pounds from the regulars.

Well, on the night five other heads came forward and I was charged with the job of shaving their hair off with our own trimmers. Even Andy and Kate volunteered and the place was buzzing with customers who created a brilliant occasion and raised a staggering £1,660 pounds. From there on Chrissie has raised over £10,000 for the charity, not without some very generous donations from the kind people of this forum may I add.

So, from being very anxious about the outcome of an impromptu charity night, we have gained some wonderful friends here in the village and the Shroppie Fly will always ave a place in our hearts. So much so, Kate presented Chrissie with a hand painted picture of the pub which had been signed by many of the regulars who sadly now drink elsewhere. It now hangs proudly in our cabin on the boat.

We have been adopted by the kind and generous folk of this sleepy little canal side village and hopefully in future years, we can both give something back!

Mike & Chrissie (Mr & Mrs Doorman)

Doorman i can see why it means so much to you.i have a niece who has leukemia and is thankfully now in remission, over the years we have done many things to raise money for various cancer charities including selling knitted santas and easter chickens! My mum knits lots and she has had a lot of success this way!

I hope that someone as thoughtful takes over the shroppie and will also be involved in fundraising. I wish you and your family all the best.

Is the Bridge Inn still open or do we have to go to the Lord Combermere when we manage to get to Audlem?

Yes, I'm glad to say that after several disastrous attempts at restoring the Bridge Inn to its former glory, Marsdens have finally found a lovely couple to run their historic pub. Gary and Vicky work exceptionally hard to make this a warm and friendly place to enjoy a drink or four. Even on the coldest of days you will find this Geordie character walking around in his shirt sleeves. He tells me that there's no such thing as a coat shop in Newcastle, where their woman are put to good use whilst kick starting Jumbo jets. He's a tough but very genial bloke and Vicky is a welcoming soul who enjoys a good laugh.

You should hold no fears about The Lord Combermere either. Once again, the hosts Jo and Alan run a splendid Inn with a good food menu to boot. Last August, one of the mad cap villagers decided to hold a fancy dress party there for his birthday (Audlem people love fancy dress) and during the night, auctions were held with items donated from the regulars and local businesses. Once again, the locals and some from nearby villages raised over £2,600 pounds towards Chrissie's 'Just Giving' Cancer Research charity collection. The atmosphere was incredible. Although some boaters may feel that The Lord Combermere is a little 'upmarket' for their liking, we are always made to feel very welcome there. Both pubs are dog and wellie friendly by the way.

Edited by Doorman

Doorman i can see why it means so much to you.i have a niece who has leukemia and is thankfully now in remission, over the years we have done many things to raise money for various cancer charities including selling knitted santas and easter chickens! My mum knits lots and she has had a lot of success this way!

I hope that someone as thoughtful takes over the shroppie and will also be involved in fundraising. I wish you and your family all the best.

Thanks Chick,

There are numerous other forum members who have suffered either direct or indirectly with this horrible scourge to modern society. They simply get on with it without much fuss or complaint. Chrissie, I firmly believe is The Special One, she does get tired and depressed on occasion, but in the main, she tries to get on with her life which is steeped in uncertainty and some folk on here whom have met her personally, will no doubt vouch for her happy demeanour.

I can honestly say with much conviction, that if it wasn't for the fact that we 'dropped out' of conventional society and moved onto the water, she would not still be here as my first mate. The relaxing nature of boating life has been a saviour for her (us). It's just a shame that due to her medication this past twelve months, our most popular voyages have been to the pump-out and back. This year though, through advances in chemotherapy treatment (tablet form) we hope to extend our trips and maybe venture on to the fuel pump too!

Seriously though, we are looking forward to taking advantage of the less constraining medical treatment and hopefully we can in get some proper engine hours on the meter.

Mike

Edited by Doorman