River Trent - Cromwell Lock Weir

Grace and Favour

Featured Posts

From CaRT:

Between Nether Lock and Cromwell Lock

Wednesday 28 November 2012 until further notice

Due to the boom being snapped at Cromwell Weir, we will have to keep the navigation closed between Nether Lock and Cromwell Lock.

Boaters will not be allowed along this stretch until the boom has been fully repaired, as it now makes this section extremely dangerous and it is a health and safety issue.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please check our website for regular updates on this stoppage.

From CaRT:

Between Nether Lock and Cromwell Lock

Wednesday 28 November 2012 until further notice

Due to the boom being snapped at Cromwell Weir, we will have to keep the navigation closed between Nether Lock and Cromwell Lock.

Boaters will not be allowed along this stretch until the boom has been fully repaired, as it now makes this section extremely dangerous and it is a health and safety issue.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please check our website for regular updates on this stoppage.

My how times change. Many of the boomed weirs we have now are very recent additions. My old Dad a working boatman on the Trent in the 30s has told me of more than one occasion that boats used to go over the weir when in flood rather than through the lock.

Tim

My how times change. Many of the boomed weirs we have now are very recent additions. My old Dad a working boatman on the Trent in the 30s has told me of more than one occasion that boats used to go over the weir when in flood rather than through the lock.

Tim

It was certainly unguarded when, on September 28th 1975, ten members of the 131 Parachute Squadron, Royal Engineers were killed when their boat went over Cromwell weir during a night exercise

It was certainly unguarded when, on September 28th 1975, ten members of the 131 Parachute Squadron, Royal Engineers were killed when their boat went over Cromwell weir during a night exercise

Yes i remember it well. Its well documented ont tinternet.

Tim