Thames and other rivers - EA key for waterpoint access

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

I know that on the canals you need a "BW" key to unlock water points etc, and round our way in East Anglia, we need an Abloy EA key for the same.

But what about the Thames, Wey etc? I'm.curious because I can't remember and I've done a bit of a search on Google but haven't come to a conclusion. Do you need a key for waterpoints etc? Is it the standard "BW key" or an EA one and if so , is it different to the Anglian EA key?

I know that on the canals you need a "BW" key to unlock water points etc, and round our way in East Anglia, we need an Abloy EA key for the same.

But what about the Thames, Wey etc? I'm.curious because I can't remember and I've done a bit of a search on Google but haven't come to a conclusion. Do you need a key for waterpoints etc? Is it the standard "BW key" or an EA one and if so , is it different to the Anglian EA key?

No key needed on the Thames, water points and sanitary stations are located at certain locks.

Not sure about the Wey.

Keith

No key needed on the Thames, water points and sanitary stations are located at certain locks.

Not sure about the Wey.

Keith

Many of them even have their own large diameter hose...so you don't need that...

If you have a electronic water level meter on your tank..beware of wedging the pipe into your filler without leaving a gap around it. The large pressure of the hose can overload..and blow out the sensing circuit...and I can't imagine the pressure to be good for your tank.

No key required for the River Wey.

Main water points at:

Thames Lock, Weybridge, (use own hosepipe)

Cartbridge Wharf, Send (not sure about hosepipe, as have not stopped here for water myself)

Dapdune Wharf, Guildford (there is a hosepipe here)

Godalming Wharf, Godalming (use own hosepipe)

Jo.

Edited by Daftmare

The EA water points are only usually available during lock opening hours as the cabinets are locked/unlocked by the lockies.

As Bobbybass has said, they have their own hose reels and the pressure/flow rate is usually very high

Only at a couple of locks in rough areas - come a bit upstream where things are more civilised and you'll find that nothing is locked.

Mark you, the pumpouts may not be working......