River Thames now officially in full flood

Proper Job

Featured Posts

It's been a long time since the whole Thames had been in full flood.

Usually sections of it go from amber to red to amber as the water takes several days to work its way down

issued today by the EA:

The whole of the River Thames is on red boards. When red boards are displayed we advise all craft not to navigate.

Due to high levels and flows, most lock laybys are underwater and the following locks are inoperable:

Iffley Lock – planned investment winter closure

Abingdon Lock –planned investment winter closure

Whitchurch Lock – planned investment winter closure

Marlow Lock – planned investment winter closure

Old Windsor Lock – planned investment winter closure

Penton Hook Lock – planned investment winter closure

In addition to these planned closures the following locks are closed for operational reasons:

Rushey Lock – lock sluices open to reduce impact of flooding

Sandford Lock – lock sluices open to reduce impact of flooding

Culham Lock – water overtopping headgates

Shiplake Lock - water overtopping headgates

Picture of Thames ar Abingdon from IWA/EA Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/IWA_UK/status/273142692547022849/photo/1

A friend of mine lives in the cottage next to the roundhouse at Inglesham and the pictures he is putting up on Facebook are scary.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

The section between the bridges in Reading is still a foot below the bank on the Reading side, but Caversham weir is barely visible. The downstream lock gate is open, the upstream paddles fully raised and the level in the lock is less than a foot below the river upstream. All sluices opened on the weir.Pretty tame compared to some of the pictures I've seen on this site over the last week but still worse than I've seen the Thames in the last couple of years.

Edited by JDR

I was chatting to a lockie last night.

Every thing that can be open is open. It's now up to the various flood relief schemes and defence systems

Even if it stops raining today, they're still expecting it to continue rising for another 2 days

:(

Yello,

Well I'm moored in the weir stream at Bell Weir, Runnymede ..... with 9 out of 9 gates wide open ..... my pontoon is completely submerged and even the far end of my scaffold boards temporary gang plank is submerged ! :unsure:

Malc. B)

Take care guys! x

Every thing that can be open is open. It's now up to the various flood relief schemes and defence systems

Even if it stops raining today, they're still expecting it to continue rising for another 2 days

I wont be surprised if the flood relief defences top over up here on the Lee either and they are huge, deep channels. If it goes over it'll flood a housing estate.

Shit!

Yello,

Well I'm moored in the weir stream at Bell Weir, Runnymede ..... with 9 out of 9 gates wide open ..... my pontoon is completely submerged and even the far end of my scaffold boards temporary gang plank is submerged ! :unsure:

Malc. B)

I'm a couple of miles upstream from you and I'm not looking forward to more water.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIxMTI3LTAwMDc3LmpwZw.jpg

They keep saying it's going to stop raining, but when?

Yes but that was a different end of the world - this is the real thing -

Locusts, plague, earthquakes, the full monty including preceding massive floods....

oh hang on a minute..

Yes but that was a different end of the world - this is the real thing -

Locusts, plague, earthquakes, the full monty including preceding massive floods....

oh hang on a minute..

I'd better start making some signs...

the-end-is-at-hand-425x486.jpg

What I don't quite understand is that if you go to the EA website is shows a flood alert for my area between Datchet and Shepperton, but if you scroll down and go into the detailed view it states "no flood alert" for Old Windsor & Wraysbury where I am.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/34681.aspx?area=061WAF23Datchet&page=2&type=River&term=thames

The water level looks very close to some properties to me - I thought the website was supposed to provide an advance warning, but it hasn't been updated since Saturday evening. Does this mean that the EA are confident of stabilising river levels in the "no warning" stretches?

Edited by blackrose