RIP Gladys Horne

lockcottage

Featured Posts

Just to let you all know, Gladys Horne passed away in Hemel Hempstead aged 80 years on Sunday 18th November, she is survived by her husband Sam and 2 sons, Gladys was a boatwoman most of her working life on boats including the Ayr & Aynho and Warbler & Wagtail. She and Sam settled in Berkhamsted in 1966 where Sam was the lock keeper before his retirement. She was an exemplary wife and mother and will be sadly missed by all who knew her.

Which Lock did they live at? Was it this one?

3147972_825f53db.jpg

If so, I remember them well back in the 1960's. It was always immaculate, the grass was cut like a bowling green, and woe betide any boatman who tramped across it in their great big boots.

Edited by David Schweizer

3147972_825f53db.jpg

If so, I remember them well back in the 1960's. It was always immaculate, the grass was cut like a bowling green, and woe betide any boatman who tramped across it in their great big boots.

David,

Yes it is that one, Sam still lives there.

3147972_825f53db.jpg

Yes,

Raven's Lane lock has been more or less synonymous with the Horne's for all the time I have known the GU.

Sam indeed kept a very tidy lock with immaculate gardens for many years, and I feel sure I am right in remembering it winning the "best kept lock" for the area on multiple occasions.

He was less keen though when the ramshackle Horse Boat operation operated from just near there, and the Shire horses were eating all his best flowers. I remember he was given the task of towing the Horse Barge trip boat South when it was forced to cease trading, and I don't think I have ever seen someone look happier, or a boat being more roughly treated!

As the OP says, Gladys and Sam were very much from a working boat background, and their story is told in the Euan Corrie book "Tales from the inland waterways".

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Is this Gladys?

mscv.jpg

I found this thread because I was looking for info on the boat AYNHO and this CWDF thread seems to be the only place on the interweb that mentions it. Was it cut up at some stage?

Edited to add that this photo is on the wall in Coventry Hospital which sparked my interest in the boats

Edited by canalchef

Is this Gladys?

mscv.jpg

I found this thread because I was looking for info on the boat AYNHO and this CWDF thread seems to be the only place on the interweb that mentions it. Was it cut up at some stage?

Edited to add that this photo is on the wall in Coventry Hospital which sparked my interest in the boats

Aynho used to be the service boat at Limehouse Basin, don't know if it still is, it has been shortened.

Tim

• 1 month later...