GU lock names

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Hello

Cale Lane known to the family as Calif the Clown because he was always clowning around & making the children laugh.

First wife was annie & they first lived @ the bottom of the thick. When annie died he later married lil or lilly & they then lived @ the top.

He was also "fostered" with your Eli Nixon, and it was terrible when we told Eli that Cale had died as he was heart broken.

Is Sam Horne still at Berko Jeannette? I didn't know Gladys had passed. Nice couple, don't think they liked Berko too much from what I've read. Always felt like home to us.

AFAIK Sam is still resident at the cottage, although looks fairly frail these days, I'm afraid.

Gladys' passing was only a week ago CWDF Linky.

Jeanette: According to "Tales from the old inland waterways" Glady's father was Ted Price, but following his death her mother remarried to Philip Ward, (when Gladys was 8). So there is a connection to "Ward" there, at least.

Edited by alan_fincher

Tam & Di in one of my many boxes of info i have a photo my grandad took when i was around 10 of three men sat @ a lock.

It has Benny (Eli's son)with 2 other men i recall calling them uncle but then respect for your elders was a strong part in my growing up so most boat people where called aunt & uncle.

you have given the old memory a kick start im now almost sure the other 2 men in the photo where Ted Ward & poss a John who was the son of Cale.

So many connections as a child i cant remember them all, as you know both my Grandparents came from long lines of working boat familys. All four of my G Grandparents

& seven of my GG Grandparents where also from Working boat familys.My GGG Grandad born 1805 was first a miner in Coventry but then became a boatman in 1827

when he married Judith Brooks the daughter of a canal boatman.

Alan Glady's was the daughter of Ted Price & Lil the daughter from second husband Philip ward so that would have made them sisters or half sisters in todays term.

I dont know if they grew up together as i think Glady's went to work for the Skinners i must dig out my copy of Old Inland waterways to refresh my memory.

George & Margret Wood also mentioned in the book are v distant related to Rock star Ronnie Wood,but then he is still not forgiven for the episode @ Cowley Lock

when he almost drowned me.

There's one call Hellfields on the Leeds & Liverpool, and passing through today one might wonder why with wide open spaces around. But turn the clock back to a time when slag from foundries was tipped thereabouts, and the name becomes more apt.

It's proper name is Hell Meadow Lock. It was called that on the 1802 canal survey, but had become Ell Meadow on the canal survey of 1827, reverting to Hell Meadow on the first edition Ordnance Survey, and then back to Ell Meadow on the canal survey circa 1893.

It's proper name is Hell Meadow Lock. It was called that on the 1802 canal survey, but had become Ell Meadow on the canal survey of 1827, reverting to Hell Meadow on the first edition Ordnance Survey, and then back to Ell Meadow on the canal survey circa 1893.

Thanks Mike, it was thirty years ago, and our only visit. (That's my excuse anyway!)

It's worth noting that other user groups may call pounds by different names.

EG the fishing club in Watford est 1885, calls from lock 76 going south, the following names for each of the next 5 pounds

Evans, Park, Dickinsons, Moor and Gingers pound.

Mark

• 1 month later...