Boat refloated

Proper Job

Featured Posts

Well done!

But, for future reference, builders plastic wrapped around the hull would have done the job of the ply much quicker and for less money.

The pumps suck the plastic into any distortions and underwater holes too, sealing any leaks.

Point taken

The hull had sunk about a foot in to the mud on the bottom and we were concerned about sheeting not holding with the size of the window/door holes hence the pre boarding. As it was, there was probably about 2 feet of water differential before she popped up out of the mud. I think any unsupported sheeting would have collapsed/split across the larger holes.

We had a problem with the sheeting on the bow and our jury rigged cockpit floor. The differential pressure was dragging the sheeting through the gaps and was tearing it from the fixing points. It held for just long enough.

I think any unsupported sheeting would have collapsed/split across the larger holes.

You'd be surprised how well it holds up, wrapped all the way round the boat two or three times.

I once refloated a wooden motor in nearly 8' of water with an open hold and just the top plank A-frames supporting the builders plastic.

Edited by carlt

A few photographs of the deed - supplied by various people - Bones, Adam etc.

I was a tad to busy to take many

The first is one of the boat not long after it went down. It gives a starting point of the task ahead....

gallery_1645_261_270463.jpg

Returning at the start of day two. You can see the windows/doors boarded, but now we were about to instigate plan B

gallery_1645_261_6582.jpg

This one is fitting the 'new' deck board. You can see the side sheeting in place

gallery_1645_261_20826.jpg

The stern boarded and skirted ready for the off

gallery_1645_261_73824.jpg

The pumps are on and she's just started to float

gallery_1645_261_81757.jpg

A view of our dammed off stern and the rear pumps running

gallery_1645_261_61721.jpg

Nearly up - desperately clearing pump suctions

gallery_1645_261_39653.jpg

Floated and tied up alongside the bank :)

gallery_1645_261_12919.jpg

Hi P.J.

Nice to read that there are still some people that do care about their neighbours, and the help of you and your mate to the very poor soul that has lost his floating home that didn't float anymore after the fire, is truly a great prove of support for the owner.

Cheers,

Peter.

Congrats Proper Job :)

Does anyone know why it seems to have burnt out in the middle of the canal...I haven't read the entire story...was it in motion at the time?

Burnt ropes or moved away from other Moored boats I suspect

Good job, my congratulations to everyone involved.

Having said that, I notice from the pictures that people were standing on top of the boat whilst it was being floated. For future reference for yourselves or anyone else who attempts something like this, I would strongly recommend that this is not a good idea. When a boat is in the process of being raised, particularly if it is stuck in mud like this one was, at the point where it comes off the bottom (and until it's more or less fully dewatered) it's exceptionally unstable (mainly due to the free surface effect, the reason the Herald of Free Enterprise capsized so quickly). If it were to roll over it could do so very quickly and with little or no warning, and anyone on the boat could find themselves in danger (a worst case scenario would be trapped in or under the boat, under water). I'm really glad it didn't in this case and everything went ok, but thought it should be mentioned just in case.

• Greenie 1