At last! We have our boat!

nipper

Featured Posts

Well, at last, we have managed to sell the house, it has taken nearly 4 years of great anticipations and great disappointments, and we have bought our Narrow boat. She is a 2004 Paul Widdowson 70 footer, in the need of a bit of work and tender loving care.

Now the race is on to get her ready for the delivery cruise. She has a reserved berth at Pillings Marina for a while, just to ease us into the cruising way.

It looks like the central heating wont be working, it's a Kabola, but the service engineer was having problems getting it to stay alight yesterday, nor will the girly machine at the front of the boat, her batteries are fine, but it just wont make that grating noise we all love!! I suspect it's something silly that's not working, but I can live without that.

But the multifuel works splendidly and what with new battery's for the domestics and engine, a serviced 50hp Beta with a refurbished travel pack, new domestic water pumps, full water and diesel tanks, what's to stop us!

But, first I have 58 miles and 59 locks to attend to to get her home, and with The Foxton Locks closing on Dec 2nd, it's a bit of a rush.

While Mary is left at home attending to her work and the rented house, I have a old sailing buddy of mine joining me on Saturday, I expect we will make it!

So, if your on the cut along the Leicester section of the Grand Union and see a 70 footer being steered by a chap with a great big grin on his face, that will be me!

Nipper

So, if your on the cut along the Leicester section of the Grand Union and see a 70 footer being steered by a chap with a great big grin on his face, that will be me!

Looks a bit like this.....

2104.jpg

brilliant, have a great cruise, two days later and I would pass you on the Buckby flight.....never mind, I will wave when you reach the Soar.

Looks a bit like this.....

2104.jpg

brilliant, have a great cruise, two days later and I would pass you on the Buckby flight.....never mind, I will wave when you reach the Soar.

Yes, That's the one Matty, and it's a pity we will miss, but no doubt, there will be another time, maybe at the Christmas Banter. But I do remember meeting you some years ago, when Old Friend was moored just east Braunston Tunnel, the weather was so hot then!

Mmm! Yes, The soar, what's the state of the river at the moment Matty?

And thanks to everyone for their wishes, I'm sure Mary and i will enjoy a two or three years holiday on the cut!

Nipper

Yes, That's the one Matty, and it's a pity we will miss, but no doubt, there will be another time, maybe at the Christmas Banter. But I do remember meeting you some years ago, when Old Friend was moored just east Braunston Tunnel, the weather was so hot then!

Mmm! Yes, The soar, what's the state of the river at the moment Matty?

And thanks to everyone for their wishes, I'm sure Mary and i will enjoy a two or three years holiday on the cut!

Nipper

I remember HOT weather!!

The Soar is hovering between Green and Amber as I speak, but will probably be in the red after tonights rain, and again after Thursdays. After the weekend the weather is supposed to be settling down again so by the time you get on the flowy bits, it should be OK.

I remember HOT weather!!

The Soar is hovering between Green and Amber as I speak, but will probably be in the red after tonights rain, and again after Thursdays. After the weekend the weather is supposed to be settling down again so by the time you get on the flowy bits, it should be OK.

Thanks Matty, I didn't mind the occasional prudent foray into the red when I had the share boat, but that was 60ft.

This one will, I have no doubt, will be a little different!

As my crew won't be arriving till Saturday, It should be quite interesting threading my way out of the marina for the first time for a shakedown cruise on Friday, single handed, but I need to see if the pointy end does what the wiggle stick at the back end tells it to do! :captain:

Nipper

Congratulations on your new boat. Enjoy your trip on to our river. A word of warning - do not pass the red light at Barrow Deep lock when heading north, it is difficult to line up for the bridge if there is any fresh in the river. Even if green moor up for a few minutes and go and look and work out how you are going to approach the bridge, it will be time well spent.My advise for what it is worth is to leave the lock and go as near to the last boat (its red) on the offside mooring as possible whilst allowing room for your stern to swing, get the bow in the stream, and then power turn to get into line for the centre arch of the bridge. Upstream its easy.

Look forward to seeing you around the area - there are plenty of forum members around Loughborough.

Congratulations, exiting times and I'm sure well worth the hassle and pressures of getting her moved :cheers:

Fingers crossed and I'll be in a similar position in a few weeks time. Mine would only have to move from Banbury to Atherstone but just my luck we'll probably get a freeze up !

As predicted, the Soar has shot into the red overnight,it is still raining and is rising fast.......with the predicted rain tommorow and Friday, it could be a few days until it drops down.

You may get stuck at Kings Lock (Aylestone) for a few days as the river joins below the lock. There is a new Aldi just after you join the river and you can tie to the railings for supplies.

Thanks Richard,

I have been at Pillings for the past 3 years with our share boat, happily share now sold, so Barrow Deep is familiar to me, Mary curses it's gates most times we pass.

As Matty said, we have a good spell of dry weather lining up, so hopefully the river won't be much of a problem, in any case, there is always pubs!

Comfortably Numb, good luck with your move, I hope the weather stays pleasant for you.

Nipper

As predicted, the Soar has shot into the red overnight,it is still raining and is rising fast.......with the predicted rain tommorow and Friday, it could be a few days until it drops down.

You may get stuck at Kings Lock (Aylestone) for a few days as the river joins below the lock. There is a new Aldi just after you join the river and you can tie to the railings for supplies.

Thanks Matty,

I can't see us actually setting off till Sunday, and as I have no intention of cooking supper at any time, will probably aim for Crick for Sunday night and set the pubs for supper as our daily target, and as I said to my crew, there will be longish days and shortish days.

But if we have to stop and hang around, so be it, I have a shed load of work to attend to onboard and there is always beer!

I'm gonna do my best to be there Cheshire rose!

Nipper