Harborough Marine

Rocinante

Featured Posts

Rain water will run through from the front too unless it has a cratch cover.  Foxton an ex hire boat from Tony Matts place Foxton boat services. In 1980 I hired a 35' Harborough boat from them called Foxtail. I owned a 40 with' Lister SR2. The hulls are a nice boaty shape, fine in the bows and bomb along on a minimum of power., Unlike most modern narrowboats, bluff bows shoving a wall of water ahead of them. They handle really well, long swims.

29 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't think that Mr. Robinson expects to make any financial gain out of the boat. Rather, he's approaching it as an enthusiast, just as people buy and renovate old cars, buses and even railway engines.

This seems to me a laudable thing to do. After all, people buy ex-working boats which are far older, aware that they will need to spend money on them over the years. They do it because they like them. The O.P. has bought an ex-working boat, I for one hope that he gets pleasure and satisfaction from it.

Who mentioned financial gain? Not I .

Never would, it rarely happens.

TD'

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

By the rules of the forum I cannot argue with a Moderator.

End of discussion I am afraid.

TD'

There is no such rule.

But yes, not worth nit-picking, I agree. He realises that he'll have to spend money which he won't get back.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The damage will have been done, long ago.  These hulls seem to rely on lots of engine oil spills in the bilge, they had no separator in the engine area, to oil the base plate and hopefully slow the rust.

Had one long ago, good in their day, now just scrap in my opinion.

TD'

Bit like the first Minis or Morris 1000

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

My old Norton M/cycle was similar with regard to the oil leaks - Put a tray underneath every night and tip it back in, in the morning.

So, more "remotorcycling" than "recycling".

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I don't think that Mr. Robinson expects to make any financial gain out of the boat. Rather, he's approaching it as an enthusiast, just as people buy and renovate old cars, buses and even railway engines.

This seems to me a laudable thing to do. After all, people buy ex-working boats which are far older, aware that they will need to spend money on them over the years. They do it because they like them. The O.P. has bought an ex-working boat, I for one hope that he gets pleasure and satisfaction from it.

Well said. Not everything in Life is for financial reasons. I have a son who thinks like that.

On 18/11/2012 at 12:01, bizzard said:

Yes 99% certain this will have a fibreglass top and wet bilge a 1/4'' base plate and probably 3/16'' hull sides 'mine did''.

But they do handle beautifully and steer well in astern too though because of their proper shape. I did have to re-plate the uxter and swims on mine. Be vary very careful though as i should imagine that all of the ones that are left now will have had overplating done, so have a thorough hull survey done. It will almost certainly have an air cooled Lister SR2 or 3 in it.

They didn't rock about so much as the glass fibre top was much lighter than steel, shouldn't be too hard to convert bilge to dry.

We bought the boat because we liked it. We were not fully aware that the guy who sold it to us was a rogue trader and you get to the point of either giving up and saying goodbye to the money spent or finishing it. The boat is a matter of pride and we are not looking for financial gain just to know that what we have is to our specification. There are things we could have done better but we all learn and we wanted to bring a bit of history back to the cut. The boat has seen the bottom of the cut at least twice and been seen by others in  " a sorry state" but has now earned the right to join the other boats on the cut fot the purpose it was intended. In essence it is nice to see a bit of history being restored for the sake of it not for its resale value but for the love of doing it. We have an ethos if you do something do it well. 

• Greenie 3

To the OP, you may find some of our Harborough tales interesting. Ours saw the bottom only once before we bought her, and 2 or 3 times after we sold her. The joint where the base met the sides had been crudely patched with angle iron, and she'd been cut and lengthened badly so she was banana shaped, but she was a grand old lady and we loved her. 

Having an air cooled Lister actually matched rather well to the wet bilge, as it sucked air through the bilge and helped keep it dry. Of course in theory all the water ran straight through to the stern anyway, so it was never wet under the floor - at least ours wasn't, once we'd re-routed the *later addition* shower so that it didn't just drain into the bilge. One small advantage was having a low floor in the front cockpit.