wiring main battery + 2auxiliary

mikevye

Featured Posts

With 1 engine start battery + 2 Auxiliary batteries all 110 amp whats the method of wiring them please to include split charger. The boat is equiped with 1 55amp alternator which charges via the main lead after starting? The split charge relay is a simple in/out device with an earth connection.

With 1 engine start battery + 2 Auxiliary batteries all 110 amp whats the method of wiring them please to include split charger. The boat is equiped with 1 55amp alternator which charges via the main lead after starting? The split charge relay is a simple in/out device with an earth connection.

If the relay is only a three terminal affair then it is most probably a volatge sensitive relay and it is likley to be more polarity sensitive than an ordinary split charge relay (two big and two small terminals - so check the writing on the case/base.

A nice thick lead (size dependant upon length) from the alternator to DOMESTIC/SERVICE battery positive.

Both battery bank negatives linked by a minimum 25sq mm cable but again dependant upon length.

A lead from the domestic bank positive to the relevant large terminal on the relay in a cable at least as large as that from the alternator to battery bank.

Ditto but from the other large terminal to engine battery positive

Small relay terminal to any negative point because now both battery bank's negatives are linked and I trust also connected to the alternator negative or case in some way.

Many thanks for the info troops I can now go ahead with the project, not on my boat I hasten to add, that's why I needed to be sure. On another subject thanks for the help with bleeding the Yanmar 2QM15 engine Tony the vital ingredient was full throttle open which in my panic I had not done!