Living afloat - All year round?

Sam

Featured Posts

Hi guys,

I know some live afloats who live all year round on their boats but i also know people who just spend march - october on their boat :rolleyes:<_< !

What do you guys do?

Cheers - Sam :blink:

I too do not live aboard, but we go out all year round as long as the canal isn't frozen. There is something very comfortable about being moored up in the middle of nowhere on a really cold wet night and being nice and warm and cosy in the boat.

Live on all year round.  Winter, the coal stove is going all the time, and she is snug.

If London sinks beneath the sea, won't that mean most narrowboaters need to move onto seagoing boats ;-)

LOL! :lol:<_<B)

:) In reply to what timboharticus posted - I totaly agree with that!!!! :blink::P:rolleyes:

Edited by Sam

• 3 weeks later...

Yes we livaboard all year cruising round, we just simply love it.

This year we will be spending winter on the GU south of Braunston, it's a bit closer for the family to visit.

I simply can't think of any other way that I would like to spend my life, its just fabulous :(

• 2 weeks later...
Live on all year round.  Winter, the coal stove is going all the time, and she is snug.

If London sinks beneath the sea, won't that mean most narrowboaters need to move onto seagoing boats ;-)

oh dear, we'll all have to get RCD category B upgrade.

fit deep keels, steel shutters, etc.

:(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest whould be dhutch

yeah, i was on EmilyAnne this weekend, and it was 4degrees out side, and 22 inside - it soo much fun

- i guess its like being in a tent when its raining hard at night, lovely!!

daniel

• 3 weeks later...
So Zimmer if you put all your stuff in storage you could live on it?

Unfortunately there is myself the wife,stepson (14 1/2) and Trixie (the Mutt) so 35 ft is not enough.

BUT I have a cunning plan ! :o

After stepson has departed for Uni which we believe he will all things being equal then we will sell up the Land home for a smaller one and then buy a bigger boat say 50ft and spend the time boating in summer and travelling abroad again.

PERFICK !

DOnt want to commit completely to the waterways even though I am most definitely smitten with the life.

Cheers and seasonal greetings to all forum members and guests

JK

Edited by zimmer4me

I live aboard - and that means all year. You need your stove on for months on end, and gas central heating is an absolute luxury. I've got a home mooring, but that doesn't stop me getting about, and getting to work on time before my boss every day.

At long last the dream is coming together. I have saved nearly enough to buy the steel. This means that when I eventually sell my house I will not have to use so much of the proceeds of the sale to get the boat. This in turn means more cash in the bank.

Now if only my daughter and her partner can scrape together a mortgage I can stay in England. :o

Question for those who live on board all year round.... what type of washing machines do you have?  Any recommendations, type, cost, installation problems etc.

Thanks.

Don't get one ! They take up so much space, that on a narrowboat it's hard to justify. We use launderettes. If we had a widebeam I might reconsider - but I've no immediate plans there.