Across The Wash?

brian1042

Featured Posts

Is it feasible to take a 60' x 11' canal boat across The Wash from the River Nene to Boston and the River Witham? Does anyone have experience of this that they would share please? Many thanks.

I remember Dennis Jewiss taking Beachamp Lodge's (former Ovaltine) boat William across the Wash back in the 1960's, but she blew a big end battling against the tide, so it might be a challenge.

Thanks for the replies. Am I correct in thinking that The Wash is the only realistic possible water route to take a widebeam from south to north?

Unless there is another way that I am not aware of you will still need to be lifted past the narrow Northampton arm.

http://www.foxysislandwalks.co.uk/Northampton-Canal.html

Edited by The Dog House

Thanks for the replies. Am I correct in thinking that The Wash is the only realistic possible water route to take a widebeam from south to north?

It will get you from the north to the angilan waterways but until Foxton is restored and Watford is bypassed there is no way from south to north.

Even if the MK Bedford link is built there will still be no way north if you are over 10ft6 beam.

The well known John Liley My link did this trip many years ago on the Leeds & Liverpool Shortboat Arthur.

If you have the possibility to read one of his books, "France the Quiet Way" you can read about his crossing of the Wash.

Peter.

It's many, many years since I read that book so can't remember, but I imagine he did as we did with the Beecliffe and 'left' the wash to go around the coast?

I do remember that when we did that, I remarked that I had seen rougher conditions on the Grand Union Canal than on the Wash. We did get a little bit of 'weather' later in the trip, but nothing too serious.

Tim

It's many, many years since I read that book so can't remember, but I imagine he did as we did with the Beecliffe and 'left' the wash to go around the coast?

I do remember that when we did that, I remarked that I had seen rougher conditions on the Grand Union Canal than on the Wash. We did get a little bit of 'weather' later in the trip, but nothing too serious.

Tim

Yes, as you say Tim, they did like you did with Beecliffe and went around the coast, open water after Boston Grand Sluice, and tidal until Brentford lock, where they arrived in the sheltered waters of the Grand Union Canal.

On their way the stopped for a while waiting for fair weather at Wells, where they could check everything while drying out regulary, and do some shopping too.

Peter.