New Job, bigger problem

Tom P

Featured Posts

I imagine that an annual rail season ticket would be at least £3K so added to approaching £6K marina fees, its a lot of money, for a lot of grief travelling, (I don't have relevant experience of London Midland trains at peak commuting time, but rather doubt it has improved massively over my memories of a few years ago!).

I think I'd look at options closer to London first.

Another mooring option, considerably cheaper, and they sometimes come up, at CRT towpath of offside moorings around the Uxbridge area. Mind you London Underground to work from Uxbridge might get a bit wearing after a while too!

London Midland isn't that bad at the moment - I have only had about 3/4 bad trips home usually caused by jumpers and the same going into work in the past two years. Apart from when it snows of course and the whole south east just grinds to a halt :banghead:

The major advantage of Apsley for me is the proximity of the station to the marina, and if I have to get a job where I need to drive to work then I am only a few minutes from either M1 or M25

It took you a whole 20 minutes to find a tree??... ;)

Five minutes walk from my house -

August2005_1050-1.jpg

I'll have you know there are some very pretty rosehip boarders arount the flats jut opposite and my neighbour has some interesting plant life growing from his button fender! (Fnar Fnar)

:D You only like it because you dare not venture further. Anyway I am not in a minority, not many people live there. The population is about 8 million or 12.5 per cent of the uk population which of course means that nearly ninety per cent of us dont and never will live there and thats because its a sh one t hole :cheers:

Tim

You do not even know me. You have absolutely no knowledge of my heritage. You are a rude man to call my home and that of another 8 million or so a s**t hole. That is all I am saying, I would never be so rude as to call your home a s**t hole. You are simply ignorant.

So disgusted am I at the state of West London , I took these photo's at the weekend, I have to live just twenty minutes cycle ride from this! What a Sh1thole!

westlondon.png

westlondon1.png

westlondon2.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well done. Lovely pictures.

• Greenie 1

Me thinks you are taking this all a little too seriously Water Rat...

I just think folks should be polite, that's all. I don't give a fiddler's for what he thinks of London. Those that live here know it is a wonderful and diverse city. I am just saying. Nice manners go a long way and the OP is probably very pleased to have a job here - why put him down as well, which is what, in effect, he is doing. Now I am off to the hidious dump that is St, John's Wood, to do some work. Happy days. :)

You do not even know me. You have absolutely no knowledge of my heritage. You are a rude man to call my home and that of another 8 million or so a s**t hole. That is all I am saying, I would never be so rude as to call your home a s**t hole. You are simply ignorant.

Well done. Lovely pictures.

Can one assume you dont appreciate Mrs Melly's take on London.

Well I was born there it was my home for twenty years and I think its a shit hole.

Been away 40 years now and every time I go back to visit Mother it gets shittier.

I dont know you. You are probably a very nice chapess.

But I know a shit hole when I see one. I have lived in some of the worlds biggest. London does qualify.

Edited by Maffi
  • Greenie 1

Maybe only one in eight of us lives there, but I bet that a far higher proportion has lived there at some time. I loved the five years I spent living in W.1 in the late '70s and early '80s but I'm pleased that I don't live there now. I guess London is a great place to live if you're young and fairly solvent (I was both at that time) but less appealing as a place to, er, mature in.

I just think folks should be polite, that's all. I don't give a fiddler's for what he thinks of London. Those that live here know it is a wonderful and diverse city. I am just saying. Nice manners go a long way and the OP is probably very pleased to have a job here - why put him down as well, which is what, in effect, he is doing. Now I am off to the hidious dump that is St, John's Wood, to do some work. Happy days. :)

At the risk of poking an already angry rodent....

"isn't this just the sort of humourless reaction we have come to expect from southerners"

Calling London a dump is what is known as "Banter", "light hearted joshing".

Southerners make little comments about our cloth caps and whippets and the state of the cobbles at the top of the M6. We make fun of their attachment to taking 90 minutes to travel 500 yards to work (often involving more bodily contact that they had in 8 hours with their other half)

We do it to celebrate how much more we like being where we are that being where they are. If the southerners like it there (however misguided that view may be), then good luck to them. The last thing we want is them all seeing the light and coming polluting the north with their silly accents.

Lighten up.

On what grounds are you assuming I am a southerner? And if I were I am not being humourless, just objecting to stupidity. You simply cannot go around saying things like that and not expect a response. No where is perfect, except apparently where mrsmelly lives. I think me and my 8 million neighbours should all come and live in his town, it sounds fantastic. ;)

Now look what you've done Tim. eight million scruffy Londoners looking to move up north*

Richard

*I have supporting evidence - I've seen Eastenders, Only Fools and Horses and Citizen Smith

Edited by RLWP

Can you shove it down below Northampton please?

On second thoughts, just above Northampton

Richard

Major flaw discovered - it's not going to be long enough - the buggers will be able to slip past through Wales and East Anglia. :unsure:

That wont work

If you move it South you'll have to stretch it out longer.

It'll end up only being a few feet high and they'll just step over it

Yes I've clocked that

- and actually in some places it already is only a few feet high, we need a plan B

ed. and even worse if we move it will let the ruddy Scot's in from the North - can't have that...

Edited by The Dog House

Major flaw discovered - it's not going to be long enough - the buggers will be able to slip past through Wales and East Anglia. :unsure:

I think we will be OK. They'll drown in the swamps and get lost in the mountains - unless the natives eat them or kill them with close harmony male voice singing first

Richard

I think we will be OK. They'll drown in the swamps and get lost in the mountains - unless the natives eat them or kill them with close harmony male voice singing first

Richard

Sorted!

On what grounds are you assuming I am a southerner? And if I were I am not being humourless, just objecting to stupidity. You simply cannot go around saying things like that and not expect a response. No where is perfect, except apparently where mrsmelly lives. I think me and my 8 million neighbours should all come and live in his town, it sounds fantastic. ;)

Are you a social worker?

Tim

Can one assume you dont appreciate Mrs Melly's take on London.

Well I was born there it was my home for twenty years and I think its a shit hole.

Been away 40 years now and every time I go back to visit Mother it gets shittier.

I dont know you. You are probably a very nice chapess.

But I know a shit hole when I see one. I have lived in some of the worlds biggest. London does qualify.

Except for St Johns wood which I really like. :)

A greenie for your honesty young Maffi ;):D

Tim