New Job, bigger problem

Tom P

Featured Posts

Yeah London's 'orrible.

We live in London. This is view from our drawing room (for noferners, that's a room you can't afford).

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

That's a golf course behind our garden, behind that is another golf course, then a country park behind that, then a little lane followed by farms.

We like northerners, when they don't get lost in our garden, they do all the manual and meanial upkeeping tasks for us and take loads of abuse for little money. :rolleyes::D

Edited by mark99

That would be a near perfect view for a garden had some bugger not parked a boat in it!

Oy, that WAS my garden......that day. :lol:

...and it is pretty clear that mark99's shots of his spitfire over Harefield are virtual.......surely he can employ a virtual gardener to get rid of the rings in his lawn....

Edited by matty40s

Yeah London's 'orrible.

We live in London. This is view from our drawing room (for noferners, that's a room you can't afford).

Oh, I know!

What with having to heat the Morning Room, the Breakfast Room, the Library, the Study and the servants quarters, we've closed the Drawing Room for the duration.

But surely thats just going back to a London Tube ride ???

I still have my Oyster card.

I look at it occasionaly with a smug sense of satisfaction that I don't go there any more.

It's always puzzled me that people who work in London put up with living just insode the M25 and an hour train ride into town. EG I

can get to Kings X in an hour from here in Ely, then Thames-link to South London. Not that I would - I've also lived there for a couple of years and hate the place. :)

I actively encourage everyone to not only visit, but also live in London.

It's not just the wonderfully colourful, cosmopolitan atmosphere, the rich mixture of languages and beliefs, the warmer environment, the easy access to public transport, an over-abundance of history and world-famous culture, all warmly wrapped with superb restaurants and entertainment facilities . . . . . .

. . . . . . but it means that we are left (comparatively) alone, in the backwaters of 'T'North'.

London is a big place, no, really, and has good bits and bad bits. Most of the bad bits are people. There are just too many of them and they will persist in trying to live outside the town but work in the town. If they would just stay at home and work on their little computers that would be fine.

We built a major outer defensive earthwork called the M25 but that didn't keep them out. We put up the house prices to truly silly levels but that didn't keep them out. We have tried congestion zones and bus lanes to no avail. We are now waiting for a decent-sized plague. Shouldn't be long now.

But a lot of the people are nice. My local station has just one lift which is out of order approximately half the time. I use it when I can because I'm a fully paid-up member of the wheely basket (4 wheels) club. But when I can't it is a matter of seconds before somebody grabs one end of it and helps me up the stairs. Every time. Even when they can't speak the language (probably from up North).

If they would just stay at home and work on their little computers that would be fine.

If only companies would allow it I would jump at the chance but unfortunately management don't trust us out of their sight (unless there is an inch of snow and then they are falling over themselves to get us to work from home) :banghead:

• 7 years later...
On 14/11/2012 at 15:53, system 4-50 said:

London is a big place, no, really, and has good bits and bad bits. Most of the bad bits are people. There are just too many of them and they will persist in trying to live outside the town but work in the town. If they would just stay at home and work on their little computers that would be fine.

We built a major outer defensive earthwork called the M25 but that didn't keep them out. We put up the house prices to truly silly levels but that didn't keep them out. We have tried congestion zones and bus lanes to no avail. We are now waiting for a decent-sized plague. Shouldn't be long now.

Well it was a bit longer than I expected.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2
  • Horror 1

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

Well it was a bit longer than I expected.

One of our daughters is there now on a break hotel in kensington 50 quid a nite. She's been there a few days and says she has never seen it so quiet so spose some good comes from covid. 

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

One of our daughters is there now on a break hotel in kensington 50 quid a nite. She's been there a few days and says she has never seen it so quiet so spose some good comes from covid. 

We fancy going to one of the forces London clubs for new year which coincides nicely with Jaynes birthday however not sure if it will be open?