NBW makes Brentford non-tidal

George94

Featured Posts

Put your glasses on and read it again:

"The great advantage of such a link (Slough to the Thames) would be that boaters would be able to cruise the Thames above Brentford and the Grand Union Canal without venturing onto the tidal section of the river".

The Thames above Brentford IS tidal, all the way to Teddington.

The apology is due from you (and the other dyslexics).

So this whole thread evolves around you noticing that NBW are crxp at geography?

Thankyou :lol:

"The great advantage of such a link (Slough to the Thames) would be that boaters would be able to cruise the Thames above Brentford and the Grand Union Canal without venturing onto the tidal section of the river".

The apology is due from you (and the other dyslexics).

However you have no understanding of dyslexia.

And the Thames above Teddington (and Brentford) is non-tidal.

There's no dyslexia involved, some people are just reading the NBW statement differently from others. It was rather ambiguous as I previously said (in post 6).

Edited by blackrose

I'm sure you'll get over it.

I suspect I will.

The lock at Richmond looks suspiciously like a lock.

It does indeed. But it is a half-tide lock, which means that the river between Richmond and Teddington is still tidal. It's also at Richmond, not Brentford (the clue is in the name).

And the Thames above Teddington (and Brentford) is non-tidal.

There's no dyslexia involved, some people are just reading the NBW statement differently from others. It was rather ambiguous as I previously said (in post 6).

Then they are reading it wrongly. The words are not ambiguous at all.

What they no doubt meant to say was that it would be possible to get from the GU to the non-tidal Thames without going through Brentford.

But thank you for saying "different from". It's a pleasure to read your posts, even if I don't always agree with what you have to say.

;)

Then they are reading it wrongly. The words are not ambiguous at all.

What they no doubt meant to say was that it would be possible to get from the GU to the non-tidal Thames without going through Brentford.

And that's exactly how I and some others read the statement. If we read it wrongly then at least we got the point, which some might say is just as useful a skill as being able to pull incorrectly worded language apart to point out the mistakes.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

And that's exactly how I and some others read the statement. If we read it wrongly then at least we got the point, which some might say is just as useful a skill as being able to pull incorrectly worded language apart to point out the mistakes.

I give up.

Even an imbecile could work out that if you join the GU to the Thames at Windsor via the Slough Arm, then you don't have to go through Brentford and onto the tidal Thames.

But there are other times when things can't be worked out quite so easily, and a publication that communicates by means of the written word needs to be able to use those words effectively.

Or do you disagree with that too?

Richmond lock maintaines the level up stream to teddington, it closes 2 hours before and 2 hours after HW.

When you exit the Thames into the manned lock at brentford, it's tidal, it is also tidal 'after' Brenford lock up to the un manned lock into Brenford basin. If you leave brentford manned lock at HW, you will not get under the road bridge to the un manned lock.

Highly recommend the trip, great place .

Actually you are wrong! For eleven months of the year only the bottom half of it (Brentford to Teddington) is tidal. The top half is only half-tidal. Only in November are you correct, because during the Draw Off the whole thing is fully tidal. And all of this is achieved by the use of a movable tide weir. I hope that is clear, it is all true!

And the name Teddington does not mean 'Tide End Town', the area once belonged to people called the Teddings. So that has tide you!

If you write to a Parliamentary Committee then the correspondence immediately goes into the Public Domain, as Allan has proved.

I have written to a parliamentary committee and can categorically state that my submission did not immediately go into the public domain.

To be pedantic, it seems that Ralf Freeman wrote to a Lord rather than give evidence to a committee.

However, the real issue is BW's actions following his communication.

Can I just say that I moor on the Slough Arm and, you never know, the link to the Thames (less than 2 miles) may well happen. Go back 10 years and if you had said then that MK to Bedford was on the cards they would say you were crazy... still there is a small school in the way called Eton. You can actually see a road sign from the Thames that reads 'Langley 2 miles' you get there by boat in about 2 days (taking into account the tides on the Thames all around Brentford (lovely place worked there for over 2 years). Not to mention missing out the Hanwell flight.

Actually you are wrong! For eleven months of the year only the bottom half of it (Brentford to Teddington) is tidal. The top half is only half-tidal. Only in November are you correct, because during the Draw Off the whole thing is fully tidal. And all of this is achieved by the use of a movable tide weir. I hope that is clear, it is all true!

And the name Teddington does not mean 'Tide End Town', the area once belonged to people called the Teddings. So that has tide you!

Calm down and read it again.

Can I just say that I moor on the Slough Arm and, you never know, the link to the Thames (less than 2 miles) may well happen. Go back 10 years and if you had said then that MK to Bedford was on the cards they would say you were crazy... still there is a small school in the way called Eton. You can actually see a road sign from the Thames that reads 'Langley 2 miles' you get there by boat in about 2 days (taking into account the tides on the Thames all around Brentford (lovely place worked there for over 2 years). Not to mention missing out the Hanwell flight.

I'm all for it.

It'll mean that C&RT might get round to dredging the Slough Arm, which you can almost walk across at the moment. And it's a much nicer journey than going through Harlesden and Southall.

The word is that the dredging will happen from High Line to the basin January to March. Big trouble from lots of people if it doesn't happen. You are right in that the canal is pretty shallow around there - pretty clear though when I was there last weekend. The section by the park in Slough (where the festival happens) is the shallowest section by far - if you get past there then you should be OK in your average nb. I must turn around Salar when I'm nest there - as well as doing the anti freeze.

That link will never happen in a million years. It's too built up now and would cost billions.

Darren

I give up.

Even an imbecile could work out that if you join the GU to the Thames at Windsor via the Slough Arm, then you don't have to go through Brentford and onto the tidal Thames.

But there are other times when things can't be worked out quite so easily, and a publication that communicates by means of the written word needs to be able to use those words effectively.

I give up too. I hadn't actually disagreed with anything or anyone on this thread in the first place.

Edited by blackrose

I give up.

Why do CWF discussions so frequently degenerate into silly squabbles?

My theory is that most people aren't really suited to the idyllic, low-stress, back-to-nature, peaceful, life that the canals are said to provide. With the birds singing outside, the willows weeping, the water gently lapping on the hull, the typical NB owner is within, hammering the life out of his keyboard and sending vitriolic messages to CWF and (VERY occcasionally) NBW.

The truth is that these people MISS the high-pressure, testosterone-fuelled, normal world, and want to create virtual-reality mini-conflicts on their computer screens to compensate.

So, another illusion shattered. Not only is living on a boat MUCH more expensive than living on land, but if you thought you'd escape the office bear-garden, think again.

• Greenie 1