MS Polymer sealant

Featured Posts

I don't know these sealants. I googled "MS Polymer Sealants" and there seem to be quite a few different ones so it would be useful if you could provide more info on which one(s) you have in mind?

What job are you trying to do?

I always use Marineflex for bedding in skin fittings, cleats, and sticking pieces of marineply or hardwood onto bulkheads so that I can mount things onto the wood rather than into the steel.

Heat exchanger, pump, etc, mounted on ply, which is stuck onto bulkhead with marineflex.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNjEtMjAxMTA0MjItMTYyOC5qcGc-1.jpg

It's about 6 or 7 quid a tube at chandlers: http://www.marinemastics.com/marine-flex.html

It's polyurethane-based and completely different to silicone. It's a structural adhesive and sealant which goes off like rubber - once it's on you won't get it off unless you take a chisel to it. Lightly abrade the area first and wipe off with a cloth dampened with white spirit. Clean up with white spirit too.

Edited by blackrose

It's to seal a cabin around the gunnel, Marineflex hasn't done the job.

The one which caught my eye is at Toolstation and is called "Stixall".

Dan

You mean between a wooden top and steel hull?

Assuming the job was done properly and marineflex (or sikaflex) didn't work, then I doubt you'll find another sealant which will.

I've used marineflex to seal a (steel to steel) gap of about 13mm and it worked well, so I guess the thermal expansion/contraction differentials of the wood and steel are causing the problem. However sikaflex is what's used to seal decks, etc, by most wooden boatbuilders and marineflex is basically the same stuff, so I don't know what's happened in your case. Are you sure the surfaces were properly prepped and cleaned prior to sealant application?

Edited by blackrose

I think we had some cabin shrinkage on the planks which caused it to slit the seal. Ok another question then can anyone recommend a sealant suitable for placing onto damp wood which is hi grab and retains flexibility when set?

Dan

I just did. Fixall High Tack. It can even be applied under-water.

However, there are limits to how much movement even the best product can cope with. And you are advised to use a primer on porous surfaces.

I think we had some cabin shrinkage on the planks which caused it to slit the seal. Ok another question then can anyone recommend a sealant suitable for placing onto damp wood which is hi grab and retains flexibility when set?

Dan

Application onto damp wood is one thing - as long as the surface of the wood is sound and not rotting.

Why don't you dry the gap out with a hot air gun?