Changing boat Name

Tomm

Featured Posts

There is a whole ritual that must be observed, involving burning paper boats, spilling beer into the cut, and deciding wether or not you are superstitious.. ;)

Practically, just remove the old name, and paint on a new one. I believe that you only inform CRT when you next renew your licence. The name has no meaning to CRT, only the index no.

If it is on a Canal and River Trust Licence, they operate almost exclusively (for licensing at least!) off the boat index number (which should be uniquie), and have very little interest in boat names (which often are not).

I believe you only need to tell them of a name change at the next licence renewal.

As to the actual name-changing ceremony, I'll leave all the stuff about sacrificing virgins, and the like, to others, though!.....

There is a whole ritual that must be observed, involving burning paper boats, spilling beer into the cut, and deciding wether or not you are superstitious.. ;)

I would say Luctor has beaten me there, but he has still not mentioned the virgins.

Edited by alan_fincher

As to the actual name-changing ceremony, I'll leave all the stuff about sacrificing virgins, and the like, to others, though!.....

I would say Luctor has beaten me there, but he has still not mentioned the virgins.

Thats cos he don't know any! :rolleyes:

You need to:-

Inform her majesty's coastguard Agency

Inform the RNLI

Register the change with Companies House

Seek the approval of the first sea lord

Ask permission from HM controller of reserve vessels

And seek permission from S and N Breweries to smash a bottle of Broon owner the boat marra

Actually just let them that are cart owners know, they are always found before the horse

I was always told that it is superstitious and bad luck to change the name of the boat and the only way it could be done without bringing bad luck to the boat was to rename the boat when it is out of the water!

This was apparently and old boatmans tale...

Edited by guelrose

Proper ships, those that float on the choppy stuff, change their names all the time, Exxon Valdise (spelling ??) has only just been scrapped and she was renamed.

and will now probably claim some Indians life when they cut her up on the beach.

I was always told that it is superstitious and bad luck to change the name of the boat and the only way it could be done without bringing bad luck to the boat was to rename the boat when it is out of the water!

This was apparently and old boatmans tale...

Absolutely. The boat must be out of the water.

Proper ships, those that float on the choppy stuff, change their names all the time, Exxon Valdise (spelling ??) has only just been scrapped and she was renamed.

and will now probably claim some Indians life when they cut her up on the beach.

Herald of Free Enterprise was renamed and iirc now works in the Black Sea.

Costa Corcordia is. Ound to be once refloated next year.

Info here if you are interested : http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/article/25/Concordia_emergency:_Note_of_The_Commissioner/uk

From experience, the most difficult part of changing a boat's name is obliterating the old one, especially if it's been sign-painted on the side.

If you're into superstition and ritual, follow whatever procedure you feel most comfortable with.

If not, wave two fingers to imaginary deities and other non-existent spirits, have a beer anyway, and look forward to happy times!

• 7 years later...