Single handed?

steven wilkinson

Featured Posts

Sorry David I do not remember ever using any method other than as I described to pass a swing bridge.

Might I suggest that if you dont under my method you are not trying.

It is simple just pull your boat through the bridge, from the bridge, using all three ropes. No poles, hooks, Karibinas or Magic Carpets.

You not remembering does not mean it did not happen.

I am still at a loss as to how it works if the setting down point is located on the towpath side, and there is no open space either side of the swinging end of the bridge, that was certainly the situation on the K&A when I last cruised on it. Whilst I understand that some bridges have since had setting down platforms introduced on the swinging side of the bridge, certainly not all the bridges have them.

And I (and presumably Maffi) are at a loss as to why you are at a loss.

Stop on the towpath a rope length from the bridge. Tie your front rope to the bridge. Go across and open the bridge. Stand on the bridge. Pull your boat through. Grab the back rope as it passes. Tie it to the bridge. Close the bridge. Cross back to the towpath. Pull your boat in. Get on the boat.

Only 57 words! :)

No need for any space on the operating side of the bridge.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

And I (and presumably Maffi) are at a loss as to why you are at a loss.

Stop on the towpath a rope length from the bridge. Tie your front rope to the bridge. Go across and open the bridge. Stand on the bridge. Pull your boat through. Grab the back rope as it passes. Tie it to the bridge. Close the bridge. Cross back to the towpath. Pull your boat in. Get on the boat.

Only 57 words! :)

No need for any space on the operating side of the bridge.

That explains it a little better than Maffi's post. I get the first bit, but how do you grab the back rope off the boat from the bridge when there is a hand rail in the way, without performing some interesting gymnastics?

Edited by David Schweizer

That explains it a little better than Maffi's post. I get the first bit, but how do you grab the back rope off the boat from the bridge when there is a hand rail in the way, without performing some interesting gymnastics?

If you leave it on the roof on the correct side, there is usually no problem just reaching over, but just in case something (eg wind) is stopping the boat sliding neatly past the bridge, I take a boathook to catch it. It's not usually necessary.

One method for you guys to pick the bones out of

Yes it's a powered/hydraulic bridge but the principle is the same yes/no?

Easy peasey, lemon squeezey..

Edited by The Dog House

If you leave it on the roof on the correct side, there is usually no problem just reaching over, but just in case something (eg wind) is stopping the boat sliding neatly past the bridge, I take a boathook to catch it. It's not usually necessary.

So I assume that at some stage you untie the front rope, leave the bridge still holding the rope, stand on the edge, and lean into the canal across the ledge to grab the back end rope, whilst placing the front rope back onto the roof then move back onto the bridge to secure the rope. Quite a lot messing about there, and quite a lot to go wrong in the pouring rain!!

No wonder Maffi can claim to explain it in so few words - by missing out half the instructions! I think I will stick with my method which does not invove dashing around tying /untying, grabbing and releasing ropes, whilst risking falling in.:lol:

Edited by David Schweizer

So I assume that at some stage you untie the front rope, leave the bridge still holding the rope, stand on the edge, and lean into the canal across the ledge to grab the back end rope, whilst placing the front rope back onto the roof then move back onto the bridge to secure the rope. Quite a lot messing about there, and quite a lot to go wrong in the pouring rain!!

No wonder Maffi can claim to explain it in so few words - by missing out half the instructions! I think I will stick with my method which does not invove dashing around tying /untying, grabbing and releasing ropes, whilst risking falling in.:lol:

No dashing around required. No leaving the bridge - whatever gave you that idea? - so no falling in, as there is a handrail in front of you. Just pulling the boat through, and tying and untying two ropes. The back will be reachable before the front has to be untied.

Rather like mooring singlehanded, in fact - easier if you're using pins - and there's no drama made of that.

But if you want to stick to your own methods without even trying a simple method used by other people (I was shown it by someone else), then fine!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

No dashing around required. No leaving the bridge - whatever gave you that idea? - so no falling in, as there is a handrail in front of you. Just pulling the boat through, and tying and untying two ropes. The back will be reachable before the front has to be untied.

Rather like mooring singlehanded, in fact - easier if you're using pins - and there's no drama made of that.

But if you want to stick to your own methods without even trying a simple method used by other people (I was shown it by someone else), then fine!

I am more than willing to give it a try, but I still cannot work out how you get the rope to the bridge in situtions where the setting down platform is on the non-towpath side, and is more than the length of the rope away from the bridge, presumably you have to pull the boat taowards the bridge and hope it stops before it collides.

One method for you guys to pick the bones out of

Yes it's a powered/hydraulic bridge but the principle is the same yes/no?

Easy peasey, lemon squeezey..

That what I said. No poles no Karibenas no flying carpets

PS It took me two hours to do that particular bridge coz once I got me boat through the bridge wouldnt close

I am more than willing to give it a try, but I still cannot work out how you get the rope to the bridge in situtions where the setting down platform is on the non-towpath side, and is more than the length of the rope away from the bridge, presumably you have to pull the boat taowards the bridge and hope it stops before it collides.

If the setting down platform is on the no towpath side then you just leave out the pulling through on ropes and drive the boat through.

Mmmm, as the vast majority of narrow boaters are 60 plus OAP's including me, possibly with rheumatism, aging aches and pains, wonky legs and all, climbing up bridges and balancing on the forepeak with a cratch in the way might not it find that easy. :mellow:

Most boats of my experience have useable foredecks.

It is interesting that people have their own patch and boat in mind meaning that constructing arguments where my stepping off is translated into 'clambering' is simply puerile.

I didnt miss out anything. You chose not to read what I said. The operation of the bridge is irrelevant.Electric/hydraulic or manual the bridge has to be opened. Pulling the boat through on one rope or using all three (bow centre stern) if one is not long enough is simple. The only tool need is the BW key. You over-engineer everything David.

If the bridge carries road traffic, don't forget to count up your score. We generally count 1 point for a car or small van, 2 points for a lorry, and 5 points for a bus or coach with passengers.

Last time we were on the K&A we stopped a Police car with its sirens blaring, and spent a considerable while debating whether or not this carried any bonus points.

And last year at Wrenbury on the Llangollen we stopped a whole cycling race. How many points should that count for (BTW the cyclists thanked us for imposing a forced rest)

Cycling race gets you zero points! They were probably all on drugs and we don't want to condone that sort of behaviour :P

I seem to remember nosing onto a swing bridge in gear, 'clambering' over and unhooking the bridge and letting the boat do most of the work. I think Maffi gets all the Greenies on this one as his methodology is the only one that makes sense to me. If you haven't got the brains to figure a swing bridge as a lone ranger you need to reconsider the sense of being on t'cut? However it was an exceptionally entertaining load of oul bollox which whiled away nearly 30 minutes of down time for me. Thanks heaps, y'all.

1) If possible put boat to operational side of bridge

2) If 1 not possible pull boat in to towpath

3) Get off boat and walk across bridge taking bow rope with you.

4) Open bridge

5) Pull the bow of the boat over to you

6) Get on the boat and walk down the gunwale to the stern

7) Drive boat through opened bridge

8) Pull stern up by stonework of bridge, get off taking stern rope with you

9) Close bridge

10) Hop back on boat and drive off

• Greenie 1

Exactly, except I've rarely found 2, though I suppose anywhere you get off with bow rope is topologically equivalent because ummmm... there's a bridge.

1) If possible put boat to operational side of bridge

2) If 1 not possible pull boat in to towpath

3) Get off boat and walk across bridge taking bow rope with you.

4) Open bridge

5) Pull the bow of the boat over to you

6) Get on the boat and walk down the gunwale to the stern

7) Drive boat through opened bridge

8) Pull stern up by stonework of bridge, get off taking stern rope with you

9) Close bridge

10) Hop back on boat and drive off

Whereas you will walk the full length of your boat either down the gunnels or over the roof twice.

If you cant achieve this simple task you are not boater material, sell your boat. Remember just because you can operate a retractable ball pen does not mean you can be a boater. More smarts are required.

Exactly, except I've rarely found 2, though I suppose anywhere you get off with bow rope is topologically equivalent because ummmm... there's a bridge.

You must try Ivy House Lift bridge on the Caldon Canal if you want a good single-handed challenge :help:

That what I said. No poles no Karibenas no flying carpets

PS It took me two hours to do that particular bridge coz once I got me boat through the bridge wouldnt close

If the setting down platform is on the no towpath side then you just leave out the pulling through on ropes and drive the boat through.

Yes, of course, why didn't I think of that?