Correct way to navigate tunnels

boatsandsteam

Featured Posts

On 05/02/2019 at 10:32, ditchcrawler said:

I dont have time to close one eye for a minute before visiting the loo at night

I don't have a spare eye to close?

Couple of weeks ago I had a cataract op and 'practised' what it would be like to be unsighted. Reality was nothing like it. I have a new respect for totally blind people.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Best advice I can give is that  it is better to navigate tunnels from end to end, rather than side to side. ?

And don't forget your navigation equipment - charts, compass, sextant (but it's dark), lead line, etc.

15 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Ever been through Barnton tunnel?  Single line and it twists so much that you can't see if a boat is coming, let alone the other end.

Loads of times, we were moored at Acton Bridge for a while. Had to reverse out more than once because someone was already in it  but not immediately visible, a d they didn't respond to my horn signals. ?

Last time we went up that way,  about 10 years ago, they had converted bothBarnton and Saltersford Tunnels to "tunnel time" like Preston Brook.

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

Ever been through Barnton tunnel?  Single line and it twists so much that you can't see if a boat is coming, let alone the other end.

This is the next one Saltersford

DSCF1325small.jpg

58 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Last time we went up that way,  about 10 years ago, they had converted bothBarnton and Saltersford Tunnels to "tunnel time" like Preston Brook.

That is how I remembered it. 

56 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Spoil Sports.

Barnton is fight it out again now, just Saltersford and Preston Brook timed