Correct way to navigate tunnels

boatsandsteam

Featured Posts

I find that dazzles me and ruins my night vision so i always keep them firmly closed. Good pint though I may well open them if someone were coming a bit close behind.

If it was really close I might be tempted to jump on and take control .... I am intrigued .. what did you do?

Purely hypothetical.

Is the steerer a single hander

1. at the other end of the tunnel, having let his boat get away from him?

2. in the tunnel, having fallen off the back?

3. in the bottom of the boat, having fallen down the steps and banged his head?

Of which (2) is the most interesting. Having fallen off, what are your chances of being mown down by another boat before you are seen or heard?

• 2 weeks later...

Purely hypothetical.

Is the steerer a single hander

1. at the other end of the tunnel, having let his boat get away from him?

2. in the tunnel, having fallen off the back?

3. in the bottom of the boat, having fallen down the steps and banged his head?

Of which (2) is the most interesting. Having fallen off, what are your chances of being mown down by another boat before you are seen or heard?

He won't be at the other end,will he. He will be running like mad over the top to get to the other end! Of course, if its innisfree, then a bit of hanky panky is in progress. And if it's me, I'm most likely inside looking for my sunglasses!

I have a 240watt D fluorescent light that I put on the roof right in front of the steering position pointing forward ... it gives a nice balance. We put interior lights on for wife and crew. Being a sloppy southerner I always where a peaked hat. If no one about I like to strut my stuff and make believe I'm Rolf Harris playing with his didgery doo :-)

Lastly, I am always paranoid that the two way tunnel apparently is one way, or the other boat is a widebeam!

• 3 weeks later...

Lastly, I am always paranoid that the two way tunnel apparently is one way, or the other boat is a widebeam!

that's an interesting question...WHAT if the boat coming towards you IS A widebeam? what do you do.....?

that's an interesting question...WHAT if the boat coming towards you IS A widebeam? what do you do.....?

It shouldn't happen as the wide beam should have booked passage. However if it did occur I reckon whoever was nearest an end would back out followed by lots of picture taking and license number noting of the wide beam then a call to CRT.

Given the number of tunnels which are patently only suitable for one way traffic, but are signed as two way, I am convinced that someone within BW/CART actually thinks that "Two way traffic" means that boats can physically enter from either end and that it is not a "One way street".

George ex nb Alton retired

It shouldn't happen as the wide beam should have booked passage. However if it did occur I reckon whoever was nearest an end would back out followed by lots of picture taking and license number noting of the wide beam then a call to CRT.

thanks Ian....how do you know if a Widebeam has booked passage? Is there a CRT chappie waiting at the other end to stop traffic entering until the WB has cleared the tunnel?

So many questions, but plenty of experience on these forums!

David

thanks Ian....how do you know if a Widebeam has booked passage? Is there a CRT chappie waiting at the other end to stop traffic entering until the WB has cleared the tunnel?

So many questions, but plenty of experience on these forums!

David

Yes,

That is exactly what is supposed to happen - someone ensures nobody goes in from the other end.

I hear some wide-beams are cavalier, and just make an extremely early start through the GU tunnels with no passage booked - I'd like to be there when two try it from apposite ends at the same time!

• 3 months later...

Always wonderd what to do if I broke down in a tunnel phone won't work think I should google legging think I too old to do it tho

I suppose it depend on the length and type. In Harecastle for example there is a procedure which from memory is three long blasts on the horn (someone to correct me if I've got that wrong) and the tunnel keepers should come to your aid.

I some wide ones I suppose you could sit and wait for another boat to pass you and pull you out backwards (assuming your are a NB) or in narrow ones get the pole out as Keith says.

Edited by The Dog House

• 4 years later...

When I got to the wet bits in Blisworth, I just went down into the cabin and let the boat get on with it.  At a good speed it will stay in the middle by itself. 

In tunnels or at night, I had the engine 'ole light on and the doors open as well as the headlight.  It seemed to help. 

North end of Newbold tunnel, 1967.

Newbold.jpg

On 07/11/2012 at 15:30, Laurie.Booth said:

My light blew as I switched it on on entering a tunnel, so we put on all the lights on the boat and my wife stood on the front waving a torch about. Yes we did meet an irate boat coming the other way.

We have been through Braunston exactly like that. The crew of the boat coming the other way were certainly surprised  when the wife shouted hello, whilst sat on the bow of our boat with a torch!

Edited by jonesthenuke
Typos!
  • Greenie 1

On our way from Hawne Basin to Merry Hell we acquired a very clattery then engine stopping  bladeful  in GH tunnel last year, right under the airshaft, so I shafted out towards Windmill End.  The BW  wooden fender was quite good for shafting off but it was surprisingly hard work.  Much harder than shafting in open canal.

The low roof does not help at all.

N

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

On our way from Hawne Basin to Merry Hell we acquired a very clattery then engine stopping  bladeful  in GH tunnel last year, right under the airshaft, so I shafted out towards Windmill End.  The BW  wooden fender was quite good for shafting off but it was surprisingly hard work.  Much harder than shafting in open canal.

The low roof does not help at all.

N

We have friends  who moor in the basin, we ring them and tell them we are coming, likewise when we leave, we ring when we have cleared the tunnel, its the only one I am concerned about getting stuck in.

Edited by ditchcrawler
fat fingers

On 30/01/2019 at 23:13, Chris Williams said:

When I got to the wet bits in Blisworth, I just went down into the cabin and let the boat get on with it.  At a good speed it will stay in the middle by itself. 

In tunnels or at night, I had the engine 'ole light on and the doors open as well as the headlight.  It seemed to help. 

North end of Newbold tunnel, 1967.

When steering a butty with just a tilly lamp on the fore end and a candle at the back end I was taught to close one eye a minute or so before entering a tunnel, then that eye has night vision once you enter.   Also useful in later life when going to the bathroom at night.

• 1 month later...

In Blisworth tunnel, is there any danger of a boat damaging itself if it rubs against the wall without the wood rubbing strip on?  Just asking as I struggled with the small tunnel at Ellesmere as the angle of the wall meant it can touch the top part of your boat.... Blisworth doesn't look it would but it would put my mind at ease to know for sure!

Certainly not in the rebuilt concrete section, where there is a built in concrete protrusion both sides, and I have never had a problem with cabin sides or saloon chimney when passing other boats whilst heading South.

Much will depend on the shape and dimensions of your cabin though.

N