Eco Fan

steelaway

Featured Posts

I've been looking at EcoFans but there seem to be loads of different ones.-------------------My link

Can any body recommend one?

Alex

Hi

I wouldnt go for any of those on your link. I am not sure but I have heard that Cadburys do a nice chocolate one with fruit and nut, that would probably be your best bet.

Tim

Hi

I wouldnt go for any of those on your link. I am not sure but I have heard that Cadburys do a nice chocolate one with fruit and nut, that would probably be your best bet.

Tim

Hmmmm - Not recommended at all then??

Alex

At the risk of being shot down, we have the two blade one on top of our Bubble stove. There is a difference in heat distribution when it is working. It does seem to move the air around towards the stern. Not a lot but measurable. Is it worth the money?

Your decision.

Hi Alex

They can work it depends on things like stove position and general layout, we have a centrally located stove and positioning Ecofan at 45 deg angle to direct heat rearwards at adjacent corridor raises bedroom temp by a few degrees and has the added bonus of stopping my feet getting cold in the lounge.

It seems to me that if it doesn't work for some they make the assumption that others who claim success must be kidding themselves.

Arrogance maybe?

Chris.

ETA: We have the two blade job.

Edited by nb Innisfree

There was one on our boat when we bought it a year ago, so I get to try it for free.

Would I buy one if the current one failed - NO!

We have a 45ft boat with stove and lounge at the front, and bedroom at the stern. The bedroom is noticeably colder than the lounge, with or without the fan running.

The only use it has to me is to tell me that the stove is hot, medium, cool, or gone out.

If I float a tissue in front of it, it blows it horizontal, so some air is moving, but it doesn't seem to move enough warm air to make a difference.

It seems to me that if it doesn't work for some they make the assumption that others who claim success must be kidding themselves.

Arrogance maybe?

I'd actually call that arrogance.

I know ours just doesn't work.

There was one on our boat when we bought it a year ago, so I get to try it for free.

Would I buy one if the current one failed - NO!

We have a 45ft boat with stove and lounge at the front, and bedroom at the stern. The bedroom is noticeably colder than the lounge, with or without the fan running.

The only use it has to me is to tell me that the stove is hot, medium, cool, or gone out.

If I float a tissue in front of it, it blows it horizontal, so some air is moving, but it doesn't seem to move enough warm air to make a difference.

I think how well they work is directly linked to how much some poor sap has paid for one. Some of us admit mistakes and some people will not as they seem to think it makes them look daft which is of course not the case. I spent a terrific amount of money ONCE on a diesel stove and I will never make that mistake again. I also bought only about 2/3 years ago an expensive not Thetford cassette bog and I will NOT be doing that again in a hurry. Yes I have spent some daft money but we all live and learn :cheers:

Tim

It would take something to convince me that the Ecofan is effective at moving heat down the boat. However: I am fairly convinced it makes a difference to the vertical heat distribution. Without it the top foot or two of cabin space is very hot whilst your knees are freezing. With the fan it doesn't seem as hot at the top and is more comfortable when sitting down. And I'm as sceptical as anyone...

Mine came with the boat too but I gave mine away to someone who had faith.

As a Yorkshireman I don't give things away easily, if they are any use at all to me.

It would take something to convince me that the Ecofan is effective at moving heat down the boat. However: I am fairly convinced it makes a difference to the vertical heat distribution. Without it the top foot or two of cabin space is very hot whilst your knees are freezing. With the fan it doesn't seem as hot at the top and is more comfortable when sitting down. And I'm as sceptical as anyone...

Absolutely spot on. The ceiling is much cooler with the fan because more of the heat rising above the stove is distributed into the boat, rather than heating the ceiling.

The ceiling is cooler - not arrogance, not imagination, fact.

However, it is damned expensive, and easily broken.

Mine came with the boat too but I gave mine away to someone who had faith.

As a Yorkshireman I don't give things away easily, if they are any use at all to me.

Ours did too - but it creates a visionary diversion to the TV so we kept it, unfortunately the grub screw that holds the blade to the spindle seems to have fallen out and now it's just bloody annoying as it rattles around....

but yet still it has a hypnotic effect....maybe that's it....

We have just bought the 812 Ecofan for our 56ft boat and it got the bedroom nice and warm. Fire and fan at front of boat and bedroom at rear .We sold our old boat with a 3 blade fan and this new one is 2 blades !If your only going to put 1 lump of coal on the fire I wouldn't buy one !But if you like it nice and warm like we do then its well worth it !biggrin.gif

I want to replace my eco fan with one of these

http://www.stirlinge...=VULCANSTOVEFAN

If you reverse the blades youcan have the mechanics towards you to watch it working.

By reverse, he means reverse the pitch of the blades which means a bit of brutal twisting. Of course since the idea is entertainment rather than usefulness you can just turn it around and it will work just a s well as before.

N

As a Yorkshireman you are probably not used to the sensation of ever being very warm, either, though........

I was a total sceptic, I admit, and still don't think they make a massive impact, but I know that the difference in temperature recorded at front and back of the boat is significantly less when we are using it. Don't ask me how that works scientifically, but its a fact, (on our boat).

And it's not because I'm not prepared to admit an expensive purchase of something for the boat was a mistake - we splashed out on a TV and satellite system early on, and I freely admit that was a mistake!