Rudder stock bearing.

Featured Posts

We have developed an annoying clunk on our tiller. It doesn't do it every time we move the tiller nor does it happen at the same point in the tiller arc when it does happen. It can happen when the tiller is moved slowly, when it is moved swiftly or not at all.

When it does it there is more often or not a feeling of very slight resistance when moving the tiller then a clunk as it moves freely again, a bit like try to open or shut a door that is just catching the frame if that makes sense.

When it clunks the noise and movement appears to come from the rudder stock bearing.

The one that is fitted is this one http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Products/Engineering/RudderTiller/RudderBearings/SG035.aspx

I have managed to get some grease in via the nipple which made no difference and on close inspection the bit of the bearing which is visible does appear to be split part way round its circumference.

I am assuming that the bearing is papped and needs replacing unless anyone can suggest 'owt else it could be.

Given that my assumption is right it doesn't look to much of a job to replace. The tiller looks to be held on to the rudder stock with a single nut or bolt and when this is removed its just a case of removing the 4 nuts/bolts, then removing the bearing without dislodging the rudder stock, replacing the new bearing and the tiller in the same position with a bit of grease here and there and "Robert's yer Mums brother". OR IS IT!

Do i need to be aware of 'owt else? Thanks.

These bearings don't last very long as they rust quite quickly on the inside. If the rudder stock is at an angle then it is likely that the grease nipple will do little as it has to match up with a groove in the bearing.

I've got one on my boat and it was completely shot in three years. They will last longer if you can stop water coming up the tube. I've been advised to replace it next time with a nylon one.

ETA: If you do replace it with the same, check out Aquafax as the one I bought from there about 18 months ago was about half the price.

Edited by dor

It's just possible that the problem is wear in the cup on the skeg, that the bottom of the stock sits in. Ours was very badly worn so that the bottom of the stock moved around as you pushed the tiller, until it had walked to the edge of the cup at which point it showed extra reistance and squeaked as it took up a new attitude.

It's just possible that the problem is wear in the cup on the skeg, that the bottom of the stock sits in. Ours was very badly worn so that the bottom of the stock moved around as you pushed the tiller, until it had walked to the edge of the cup at which point it showed extra reistance and squeaked as it took up a new attitude.

I agree. I had the same symptoms as you describe and that turned out to be the cup bearing on the skeg. I have a "Warstock" type top bearing which is different to yours but had the same clunking sound.

This could be the rudder lose on the stock if its the type that the stock passes through a tube on the rudder and is secured by pinch bolts. A common Liverpool boats fault. If your rudder is attached by this method.

Edited by bizzard

Thanks all. A bit of food for thought.

The boat is due out for blacking sometime next year so i will have chance to see what is happening, of what is now out of view, then.

In the mean time, thanks to Dors heads up on the Aquafax which comes in at less than £20, i may well change the bearing and see where we go from there.

You can see if the bearing is shot by watching as you move the tiller back and forwards. If there is no movement at the bearing but still feels rocky then more likely to be bearing cup on the skeg.

Meanwhile, poetic justice in Abu Dhabi with Webber being taken out after doing his best earlier to take out Massa and Maldonado.

You don't need to replace the whole bit. you can put a new bearing into the cast metal square bit.

As you say take the bolt out of the head of the rudder stock. The tiller is probably a tapper fit. It may come off easily if you hit the boss with two hammers at once on opposite sides. With the tiller off, You may find a grub screw in the collar of the bearing nipping the rudder shaft, if so undo it. Then undo the 4 bolts, clean the rudder stock very well and oil as you will need to draw the bearing up the shaft. I did this by lifting the rudder and sliding two spacers between the bearing housing and the counter. A good bit of hard wood on top of the rudder stock and hit it down with a big hammer. Once you have the bearing and its cast housing off you should be able to turn the bearing 180°in the casting and pull it out. You will find a number stamped onto the edge of the bearing its self which is what you need to replace it.

When I put mine back on again I made a disk of rubber out of an old tractor inner tube and put that on the stock above the bearing and under the tiller boss.

I will add a photo later

Photo added

You can see the grub screw on the shaft and also the rubber rain deflector, Its made of 2 thickness's of inner tube glued together and was added after the whole thing was put together as an after thought

asmallDSCF0539.jpg

Edited by ditchcrawler