C&RT - what waterways could it take over?

Joseph

Featured Posts

On the Warwickshire Avon, the structures associated with the navigation, such as the lock and the weirs, are owned by ANT.

Moveable sluices and other flow control devices are owned and operated by the EA, so there is precedent for this arrangement.

1. The Bridgewater Canal. Obvious link between several C&RT waterways.

Peel Holdings and BW had serious discussions about this, seven or so years ago. I think it was tied up with mooted property deals (maybe Weston Point).

1. The Warwickshire Avon.

UANT, or at least a large faction of its board, were discussing this with BW about ten years ago. As I understand it, LANT was implacably opposed and the "let's merge with LANT instead" faction on UANT won out.

There is a serious side to Joseph's speculation, because it might happen that the Bridgewater could pass to the C & RT if Peel Ports chose to concentrate their business on the Ship Canal. Also it is still on the agenda that the Environment Agency waterways to pass over in a couple of years. There is also that other aspect of restoration.

In the fantasy world I would like to see the Foxyards Canal restored as boat moorings. I doubt if the original rise of 4 locks would be needed in view of the subsidence there.

Ray Shill

Hello everyone

Not sure if this should be in the News section, as it is more in the nature of a speculation. Or even a new parlour game!

It goes like this. Suppose C&RT had substantial resources and could indeed act like a National Trust for the waterways. Like the NT, it could take over properties and interests with or without endowment, or indeed by bidding. This seems unlikely in the present financial circumtsnances, but it could happen. After all, the real NT took over the Wey in the 1960s. And the Stratford...............

So, partly for fun, what waterways should it (ideally) take, and what are the priorities? Here are my suggestions:

1. The Bridgewater Canal. Obvious link between several C&RT waterways.

2. The Wey. Leads off "its" river the Thames.

3. The Basingstoke. Leads off the Wey.

4. The Foss. Seems isolated, hardly used. York City Council might unload.

5. The lower Trent. Links the Chesterfield, Fossdyke etc.

6. The (developing?) Fens Waterway Link. Not sure what is happening with this.

7. The Cam. Expensive!

8. The Middle Level waterways. Another link.

9. The Lincolnshire fens. Or are they coming anyway?

10. Neath and Tennant Canals. Being restored slowly, and they are linked.

And some "choking on cornflakes" suggestions:

1. The Warwickshire Avon.

2. Chelmer & Blackwater Navigation. What would IWA think?

3. The Broads................!

Well, following that last one I had better leave swiftly!

Just for fun, what would people add, or subtract?

Bye for now

Joseph

I would add the Hatherton & Lichfield restoration, when it comes off. They are already debating about licences and permits, should a CRT navigation concession not come off.

Surely this would add to both use and financial stability? Things seem to have worked out for the Droitwich canals.

The Lichfield & Hatherton are making considerable progress of late, with excavation starting on locks 27/28 (staircase. There can only be a matter of time, perhaps only few years more, before a link is made to the national network. This is a project that definitely deserves support.

Ray Shill

What aboiut CRT taking over the navigation functions of the Manchester Ship Canal as well as the Bridgewater? (Not the property). I am sure Peel would be glad to be rid of the responsibility and it might make pleasure boating along the canal very much less expensive and restricted.

Just a thought.

regards

David L

• 2 months later...

just to clarify or add to the above topic ... The transfer of EA managed navigation into CR&T control is still only proposed. The decision to transfer or not is not due until 2015.

However I am confused how can CRT benefit the navigable system when , once DEFRA funding dries up where is the money coming from to maintain waterways as they are now .( charities are struggling too )

Anyone that believes any shortfall in funding can be met by Grant funding or licence fees is sadly missing the point , and once the assets are divided into EA, Cam conservancy ,trusts, broads authority etc etc it is fair to assume that costs will rise , and cherry picking will be rife for the most profitable assets...

At the end of the day , any money will only ever come from one pot , despite how it is shared or where it comes from ... still only one pot.

Merging with C&RT will only succeed in complicating a system which actually works , increasing costings , and inevitably creating a worse Navigation for all

I for one hope CRT fails . regional waterways should never be centrally controlled

• 2 months later...

Problem with the Bridgewater is the value of the Bridgewater Department property holdings.Look up Runcorn Docks on Google.Very fanciful housing development proposed by one architect.Castlefields Basin property?Preston Brook Marina?Would the Bridgewater Trust continue to contribute to maintenance?Would the ownership of the old flight of locks be transferable?Cant honestly see CaRT coming out of negotiations with Peel Holdings and still owning a shirt on their backs.

• 4 months later...

It goes like this. Suppose C&RT had substantial resources and could indeed act like a National Trust for the waterways. Like the NT, it could take over properties and interests with or without endowment, or indeed by bidding. This seems unlikely in the present financial circumtsnances, but it could happen. After all, the real NT took over the Wey in the 1960s. And the Stratford...............

All a bit academic now that the 'minister' has walked all over the EA transfer. Its amazing what can happen in a year.

• 1 month later...

Oh dear!

I only put this up as a minor amusement, not a firm proposal or advocated policy.

Actually, if the C&RT model does prove to be successful (I'm uncertain, but fingers crossed) then it would be logical for waterways to be handed to the Trust, hopefully with a nice big endowment. If the Trust gets the expertise and can gather in the commitment of enthusiasts (not all volunteers), develop responsive management and draw in finance, then this could and should be applied, surely? Or do we prefer waterways to be run by small bodies that (sadly) lack expertise and commitment? No names, but there are some!

Lots of Ifs, but you never know.....

Can I add something to the list - how about the parts of the Crumlin Branch owned by Caerphilly Borough Council?

Just for fun.

Joseph