Gardner issues

Neil Corbett

Featured Posts

Right...

engine_04.jpg

<snip>

4. Thermostat housing off a Ford Fiesta. Got it from the scrap yard, then had the other bits made to fit it.

<snip>

Probably just a coincidence, an alloy housing with a bronze flange isn't a good idea due to them being so far apart electrolytically. I notice there is a lot of verdigris on one of the flanges

Richard

Brilliant - I feel tired just reading about the process, and max respec' to people who have such engineering skills.

My input to my Gardner more or less ends with polishing it and topping up the water. I call in experts when something complicated like servicing comes up.

Probably just a coincidence, an alloy housing with a bronze flange isn't a good idea due to them being so far apart electrolytically. I notice there is a lot of verdigris on one of the flanges

Richard

The usual Gardner setup with a centrifugal circulating pump with alloy body has a bronze flange on the (copper) bypass pipe, bolted to the pump body. Also a bronze impeller, certainly on older engines. I've not been aware of these causing problems, but always a good idea to maintain antifreeze/inhibitor levels in any engine with dissimilar metals.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Believe it or not, they're actually electrically completely isolated. Not that it would make much difference as Gardners are full of all sorts of different metals: bronze pump, brass flanges, copper pipes, alloy crank case, steel cylinders. I figured I wasn't actually making things much worse!

• 4 weeks later...

I dropped lucky on an ex-MOD unit for a good price, sold as used but turned out to be New VeryOld Stock. Snag was, it was the lug mounted version rather than the strap/cradle mount type.

I suspect you may have missed ever so slightly there There is such a beast as a lug mounted AC7 but from the "ex military" I suspect you may have the AC90 which as the name suggests is a 90A machine we used to have them on landrovers when I was in the bun squad

Edited by James T Berk

I suspect you may have missed ever so slightly there. There is such a beast as a lug mounted AC7 but from the "ex military" I suspect you may have the AC90 which as the name suggests is a 90A machine.

Ah, you know things about things that are not buns as well

mostly things that are buns but I do know a bit about military equipment doesn't do to go into action not knowing your kit you know I remember one time when a 4wd bedford broke down on exercise on Salisbury plain and I ended up having to carry the damned thing around with me so the company continued to get their buns

I suspect you may have missed ever so slightly there There is such a beast as a lug mounted AC7 but from the "ex military" I suspect you may have the AC90 which as the name suggests is a 90A machine we used to have them on landrovers when I was in the bun squad

No, very definitely an AC7.

Edit - it is 'marine' spec

Tim

Edited by Timleech