Canis & Judith Anne Pictures

Tiggers

Featured Posts

Found these pictures on Canis of her being towed back to Ken's yard by the Judith Anne. I know there are people on here connected with the Judith Anne, so I thought I would post them. Also, I wondered if anyone could identify the other boat that was amongst the pics

IMG-1.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

The mystery boat

Edited by Tiggers

Found these pictures on Canis of her being towed back to Ken's yard by the Judith Anne. I know there are people on here connected with the Judith Anne, so I thought I would post them. Also, I wondered if anyone could identify the Josher that was amongst the pics

IMG_0001.jpg

The mystery boat

Is that the alleged 'Josher'? If so, maybe it was one once but I'd say it's a new (or fully replated) fore end and possibly stern on a bit of old boat. Appears to have been nicely done, though.

Tim

Is that the alleged 'Josher'? If so, maybe it was one once but I'd say it's a new (or fully replated) fore end and possibly stern on a bit of old boat. Appears to have been nicely done, though.

Tim

Very true! I hadnt looked at the pics when they were enlarged on the computer, only the very small actual picture!

Tim

Seems to be having a new bottom whatever it is judging by the amount of baseplate sticking out.

Tim

I think that is "Canny Fox" the first boat Keelkast built on the hard in Horseley fields after moving there from Pratts Bridge. It was built using the wooden patterns Keays had from the production tug they started but never finished (later finished by Denis Cooper as "Ken Keay"). I do remember it well as the shape was very nice, date at a guess in 1982. The only Josher ever to be on that dock was "Lark" which was worked on for Peter Topping of Cowroast Marina.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Brilliant photos, thanks for sharing Laurence.

Dan

The previous arent mine.

These are, this is the "Josher" style hull finished and a few other boats which were at Keelkast during 1984-5. Learned eyes will spot "Christopher James, FMC Lark and a day boat called "Alison".

gallery_5000_522_195161.jpg

Does rather look like it:

http://www.gtmdriver...otos-t2142.html

I was drawn to look at the vehicles as well as the boats too...

I think you're right about it being a Cox GTM despite the number plate in the photo being in the wring place. I initially thought it was a Lotus Elan from the view in pic 3 but can't be as the Lotus has pop-up headlights. I want one! Kit cars based on the Mini engine and subframe IIRC. Two front subframes with one in the back making a rear engined car. Can't imagine being allowed to build your own car today. Or CAN you still do this?

The other vehicle being a Morris Marina van I think. I don't want one of them. :)

I think you're right about it being a Cox GTM despite the number plate in the photo being in the wring place. I initially thought it was a Lotus Elan from the view in pic 3 but can't be as the Lotus has pop-up headlights. I want one! Kit cars based on the Mini engine and subframe IIRC. Two front subframes with one in the back making a rear engined car. Can't imagine being allowed to build your own car today. Or CAN you still do this?

The other vehicle being a Morris Marina van I think. I don't want one of them. :)

Yes, the kit-car market is still alive and well

Richard

sorry to go

:smiley_offtopic:

The GTM was a rather cute little car IIRC - I think one may have passed through my hands at some point in my history. It is however possible it was a slightly different model. Using the same idea of mounting the mini subframe at the rear my daughter had a Tici

p1.jpeg

.... and that was no where near as pretty as the GTM!

Found these pictures on Canis of her being towed back to Ken's yard by the Judith Anne. I know there are people on here connected with the Judith Anne, so I thought I would post them. Also, I wondered if anyone could identify the other boat that was amongst the pics

IMG-1.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

The mystery boat

Think the car may have belonged to Tony Miles.

In the small colour picture from the cabin Ken Keay right, Selwyn Jordan centre, Tony Miles up the ramp. Jack Haddock is there somewhere as his racing bike is propped against a wall in the B/W shots.

Little girl on the balance beam at the top is probably Alison Miles, Tony's daughter, the guy standining talking with the white site helmet is Paul Macintosh who ran the museum. The large woolwich motor looks like "Benbow" (Dunstable??) which was formerly run as a hire boat at that time (1972 ish). Two other lads are familiar and may be from the yard but names elude me. The young girl with blonde hair may be one of Tony's numerous attachments!

Edited by Laurence Hogg

This is "Canis Major" during the finishing off period at Carl st. The planking on the roof protecting the sides ready for signwriting. The fore end is of course the stern of "Canis" and the bow was designed and constructed by Selwyn Jordan who did most of the welded work on the yard. The name "Canis Major" and "Canis Minor" were my suggestion to Ken, I dont think the fore end was named such though. Happy days and the yard at this point was flourishing, sadly in all but a short time things reverted to the old ways and down it went.

gallery_5000_522_118176.jpg

I think Jack Haddock may have taken a couple of the pictures, as on the back of them is written 'J. Haddock, 78 Webster Rd, Walsall, WS2 7AP' and a couple of other strange scribblings. I certainly dont think John Harmon took the pictures as they are from '77, before John was involved

I think Jack Haddock may have taken a couple of the pictures, as on the back of them is written 'J. Haddock, 78 Webster Rd, Walsall, WS2 7AP' and a couple of other strange scribblings. I certainly dont think John Harmon took the pictures as they are from '77, before John was involved

The B&W shots are almost certainly Jack Haddocks as he isnt in the shot but his bike is on one. I thought John Harmon was the the customer who the conversion was done for, having just rung Tony Miles (he is in Thailand) and he confirms this.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Tony miles rang me today after seeing the pictures "Tiggers" posted. The young well dressed lady is from the firm which supplied Keays new "Poly tunnel" working covers metal frames at the dock and was there for press photos for the local paper, the tug and "Canis" have been posed in the top lock for that occasion. Tony has more dock pictures which he is going to send me so keep looking folks!

edit to add info.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I've been reading these forums for quite some time, but only just got around to registering, basically because I'm so taken with the photographs on this thread.

I'd love to get hold of a high quality print of a couple of those on Tigger's original post.

Does anybody have any ideas for how to acheve this? Is Jack Haddock still around?

Thanks to everybody for hours of enjoyment.

gabble

• Greenie 1

Hi all

I've been reading these forums for quite some time, but only just got around to registering, basically because I'm so taken with the photographs on this thread.

I'd love to get hold of a high quality print of a couple of those on Tigger's original post.

Does anybody have any ideas for how to acheve this? Is Jack Haddock still around?

Thanks to everybody for hours of enjoyment.

gabble

Jacks often around Walsall basin still on his bike but many of his pictures are now in Walsall Local History Centre in Essex st.

• 2 months later...

I think that is "Canny Fox" the first boat Keelkast built on the hard in Horseley fields after moving there from Pratts Bridge. It was built using the wooden patterns Keays had from the production tug they started but never finished (later finished by Denis Cooper as "Ken Keay"). I do remember it well as the shape was very nice, date at a guess in 1982. The only Josher ever to be on that dock was "Lark" which was worked on for Peter Topping of Cowroast Marina.

Yep I can confirm that the mystery boat is "Canny Fox", it was started when we bought Ken's yard in 1981 and moved to our new yard in Horseley Fields (where we started up as Keelkast Narrowboats Ltd.) to be finished. I can't remember the chap that bought it but he traded up from a Springer called "Badger", hence the name. The hull was our new "Liberty" style hulls based on the josher-style templates which Ken had made when he built a new wooden hull (which sat on the yard and dried out).

The photo's of it finished were taken at our new yard.

Edited by Hummers

I believe Keelkast used a picture of Canis Major in their advert, found one in an old copy of Waterways World.

Jack Haddock is still around, I met him just before Christmas, absolutely fascinating guy, I can highly recommend people to pop down to the Walsall Local History Centre and have a look at his collection of pictures, some of them are stunning. Very knowledgeable gentleman too, when I mentioned Canis Major, he could remember pretty much everything about the boat, and John Harmon, and had some fantastic stories about Ken and the BCN.

I believe Keelkast used a picture of Canis Major in their advert, found one in an old copy of Waterways World.

Yes I believe you're right, I think it was the last boat we finished before moving to Horseley Fields so we never had anything newly built for a while to publish. I remember John Harmon and his girlfriend very well, we all had a healthy mutual respect for Banks's Mild. The last time I saw Canis Major was about 3 years ago moored up at the top of Stoke Bruerne - I see it still had Ken's original signwriting.