What are people paying for coal this year?

blackrose

Featured Posts

I recently paid about £7.50 a bag for some crap called Multiheat, but the bags are now only 20kg so that's the equivalent of about £10 for a full size bag.

Not a very good deal.

I use that and i find it fine. £7-60 summer rate for 25kg bags.

The stuff I got doesn't seem that hot and produces loads of white powdery ash.

Fine ash usually means that all the volatile goodness has been fully burnt out of it properly. Not noticed much difference between Multiheat and any other nuts heat output or ash to be honest, and i've tried most of them over the years. Most people here like it too.

The only one i've found a bit different is Excel which burns a bit dirtier and seems very slightly more economical.

Edited by bizzard

We had multi heat at the same price (Pete?) and I liked it, just been dropped a load or taybright. Would return it if I didn't need it now. Wanna swap? :)

Multiheat was and still i think is or should be one of the cheaper ones.

Fine ash usually means that all the volatile goodness has been fully burnt out of it properly. Not noticed much difference between Multiheat and any other nuts heat output or ash to be honest, and i've tried most of them over the years. Most people here like it too.

The only one i've found a bit different is Excel which burns a bit dirtier and seems very slightly more economical.

You've got a much bigger stove than I Mike and generally big stove seem to work better with bigger lumps than small stoves.

I've got a sneakin suspicion that the larger nuts in Multiheat might be Taybright, what the smaller ones are i don't know.

I recently paid about £7.50 a bag for some crap called Multiheat, but the bags are now only 20kg so that's the equivalent of about £10 for a full size bag.

Not a very good deal.

Only if you think £9.37 is about £10.........

OK not a huge difference, maybe, but it doesn't sound quite as bad!

I would normally pay around £9 or £9.50 for Excel /Taybrite/stoveglow etc.

In the last 12 months, I have tried to buy from coal boats, but Callisto wasn't around much last year due to water shortages so I use Coopers of Mountsorrel (will deliver to the River Soar).

In september, I asked for homefire ovals and the chap stuck 4 bags of Homefire Ecoal50 in my boot.

When he said £11.50 for 25kg I almost died, but couldn't be bothered to get it back out and change it - he also said if I wasn't happy with it, he would swap for my normal fuels.

It is brilliant, and lasts over twice as long as the normal fuels I use, smells slightly peaty and makes me feel like I am doing my bit for the environment along with keeping my wallet happy.

I will probably stick with this now.

I use something called Signal. £8.00 for 20kg (£10.00 25kg). It produces very little ash and the ash pan is emptied maybe once every 3 days. The stove is a Squirrel and doesn't need a riddle that often.

OFF TOPIC

I find the frequency with which I need a riddle is directly proportional to the volume of beer I drink :blush:

Only if you think £9.37 is about £10.........

OK not a huge difference, maybe, but it doesn't sound quite as bad!

Would it be appropriate to issue your usual pedant alert?

What part of "about" didn't you understand Alan? I was charged 120 quid for 10 bags of multiheat and 2 x 13kg gas bottles. I wasn' sure what price he was charging me for the gas as he seems to do them cheap so I don't know exactly how much I paid for the coal.

In september, I asked for homefire ovals and the chap stuck 4 bags of Homefire Ecoal50 in my boot.

When he said £11.50 for 25kg I almost died, but couldn't be bothered to get it back out and change it - he also said if I wasn't happy with it, he would swap for my normal fuels.

It is brilliant, and lasts over twice as long as the normal fuels I use, smells slightly peaty and makes me feel like I am doing my bit for the environment along with keeping my wallet happy.

I will probably stick with this now.

I think the bigger nuts perform better on most stoves - if nothing else they will generally stay in longer. I wonder why some of the producers of other brands just don't manufacture bigger nuts?

Edited by blackrose

Just bought a couple of bags of "burning peat" from my local supplier. Made(?) by this firm http://peatheat.co.uk/index.html

£5 for a big bag (dosen't work for comparison by weight)

Looking at their web site the heat produced vs. price seems to be good.

Trying it on my squirrel at home, burns more easily than other peat I have tried.

Anybody else tried it?

Thinking of taking some down to the boat.

Regards

I think the bigger nuts perform better on most stoves - if nothing else they will generally stay in longer. I wonder why some of the producers of other brands just don't manufacture bigger nuts?

You certainly need big nuts to contribute to some if the threads on this forum !!