Half-term trip on the Leeds Liverpool

Featured Posts

Today has been a tad grey and damp! I am not getting rain in my camera for anyone!

However it hasn't been a bad day all day!

So we set off from Skipton towards Gargrave for an hour or so's cruise before heading back to Skipton for lunch! The Narrowboat had been recommended, so thats what the lunchtime plan was!

We headed off under a grey sky

IMG_2815.jpg

But then it got sunny

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2807.jpg

It was fine enough for Fizz the crew dog to have a run along the towpath

IMG_2810.jpg

We winded just East of Gargrave (after a fashion - I am very pleased no-one was there to see me make a mess of it!

IMG_2817.jpg

We got back to Skipton in time for lunch - however!

IMG_2820.jpg

a queue for the swing bridge? surely not! Yes! A crew just before us had snapped their key in the bridge lock and done a runner! Bridge stuck in a locked position!

So - nothing else for it - time to give the boat a wash!

IMG_2822.jpg

Then it started lashing down again - so the camera got put away!

We did give Bowten a wave as we eventually passed through Skipton on our way to our overnight halt!

Its a nice mooring! I don't know why no-one else is here! Oh wait - maybe its the church bells that ring every 15 minutes that have put people off! :) Its dark now, so we are staying put!

Moored at Kildwick Steve. Ding at 15 past. Ding dong at half past. Ding dong ding at 1/4 to and bong bong on the hour!!!

Ding at 15 past. Ding dong at half past. Ding dong ding at 1/4 to and bong bong on the hour!!!

:blink:

The bells weren't that bad actually! The rain on the roof drowned them out! ;)

The scene of this mornings mooring! We weren't in a hurry, so I had time to take a few photos before we set off!

IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

(we didn't deliberately moor that close to the boat behind - we had been in the open area infront, but we moved our boat back for the sake of the photos I wanted to take witht he church in the back-ground! B) )

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

The approach to the mooring spot was a tad narrow! I am pleased we didnt meet one of those big, wide boats at this bit!

IMG_2827.jpg

we stopped in Riddlesden again at lunchtime to get provisions and to have a spot of lunch! We werent in any hurry as the plan is to get to the top of Bingley today, for a trip down when the locks open at 10am tomorrow!

When we stopped for lunch nb Honey pulled in behind - thats the boat we had moored in front of last night! And is owned by another forum member - HELLO again! :) Honey was heading for Saltaire tonight, so got a move on!

En-route to Bingley, we had another encounter with our friendly Kingfisher!

IMG_2852.jpg

We made it to Bingley and retuned the TV - How many stations here? Spoilt for choice!

IMG_2855.jpg

Time for tea! :cheers:

Edited by steven wilkinson

Lovely to bump into you today (although not literally, thankfully, given the wind!) and what a lovely pic of our boat on there as well! Definitely one of those curious co-incidences! I have to say you have a gorgeous hire boat - she looked absolutely fantastic.

We did make it to Saltaire tonight, so all is well. Bit cold and wet by the time we got in, but settling down for fish & chips now :)

Have a good one tomorrow - we'll keep an eye out for you going past us again! Enjoy the rest of the trip.

Lovely to bump into you today (although not literally, thankfully, given the wind!) and what a lovely pic of our boat on there as well! Definitely one of those curious co-incidences! I have to say you have a gorgeous hire boat - she looked absolutely fantastic.

We did make it to Saltaire tonight, so all is well. Bit cold and wet by the time we got in, but settling down for fish & chips now :)

Have a good one tomorrow - we'll keep an eye out for you going past us again! Enjoy the rest of the trip.

Circe. We were moored in that same spot on Saturday night. No sign of yourselves though. Our boat kept Honey company.

Circe. We were moored in that same spot on Saturday night. No sign of yourselves though. Our boat kept Honey company.

Good to know she's had some company :) We were at home for a few days sorting some bits out and steadily shifting her back to her home mooring for winter now. Kildwick is a nice spot, isn't it?

Good to know she's had some company :) We were at home for a few days sorting some bits out and steadily shifting her back to her home mooring for winter now. Kildwick is a nice spot, isn't it?

Dont rate White Lions food and prices. Beer ok!

Wheres home?

Dont rate White Lions food and prices. Beer ok!

Wheres home?

We tend to eat on the boat - disabled child and pubs aren't always a good mix!

Home's the centre of York, so not too far away, but the boat's home mooring is near Castleford. We've been cursed on this trip - everything's happened, from the youngest having his appendix out to the throttle cable snapping, so it's taken about 5 times longer than it should have done!

today got off to an odd start! A man with a hi-viz and a notebook was paying close attention to our license for some reason! As I was on the towpath with Fizz the crewdog, I made my way back to the boat to ask what his interest with our boat was? We were having a visit from the 'Boat Inspectorate'!

The man from the Inspectorate was laughing at our boat! :angry: Now I know some people don't like shiney boats, but there was no need to take the p***! :angry:

However

It turns out that this man was an imposter! :o This man was having a joke at my expense - it was Darren 72 trying to wind me up, but not being abe to keep a straight face! :lol:

Thanks for dropping by Darren. Its always good to put faces to names!

Today was going to be a short day. My sis and her son were dropping in for a visit too, and were not due until 10am. With her sense of direction, we weren't expecting her until closer to 11! Her son is only 9 so more time was spent keeping an eye on him rather than taking photos today - he can be a tad excitable at times!)

Waiting at the top for sis to arrive, but it was the Boat Inspectorate that turned up first!

IMG_2857.jpg

Do not pass this sign - its a long way down!

IMG_2858.jpg

Adams Ark went down just before us on their way to Doncaster after a refit at Snaygill.

IMG_2859.jpg

No photos of the way down due to babysitting duties, but this is the view from the bottom today! (I would like to say it was a lovely sunny day, but the sky was ony this colour for 30 seconds, so I made the most of it!)

IMG_2862.jpg

No time to rest - the top of the 3-rise is only another two minutes around the corner!

IMG_2865.jpg

Waiting at Darley Gap for a boat to come up gives time to feed the ducks at the back of the boat!

IMG_2869.jpg

Cruised into Saltaire - nb Honey is safe and sound - and cruised straight past Mr Shouteyman! We aren't stopping in the 'daytime-only' visitor moorings this time!

IMG_2874.jpg

Then it was time to get a few bits and bobbs - and Subway for 4 - in Shipley! Decisions decisions - press on and find a remote mooring as we would be too late for the next 3-rise, or stop in Shipley and get the wine/beer opened?

The 3-rise will still be there in the morning :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Edited by steven wilkinson

today sees our last full day of our jollies!

We had found some very nice visitor moorings at Shipley for the evening - but just a pity that people used the car park at 8am to go to work! Swines!

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg

Where shall we get to toady?

Fizz is keeping a close eye on things!

IMG_2898.jpg

a few boats moored in Shipley - is this a narrow widebeam?

IMG_2909.jpg

on the move

IMG_2915.jpg

waiting to be picked up after one of the many, many swing bridges!

IMG_2919.jpg

The past and the present day!

IMG_2922.jpg

The crew

IMG_2930.jpg

JessicaBOO's twin, MollyMOO is moored up at the marina! I thought it was out for another day!

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

A bit further East and a sad sight

IMG_2936.jpg

More Autumnal colours

IMG_2939.jpg

And - as we start to pack away - we need to settle up!

IMG_2943.jpg

time to turn around in the morning and head back to the marina in time for lunch!

the last day and the run back to the marina!

We had plenty of time, so went past the marina to explore a little further afield rather than just moor up early at the marina overnight! We headed East and found a nice little visitor mooring at Rodley!

Had we known it was going to be Firework Display Night in Rodley, we could well have chosen the marina instead :( Fizz the crewdog HATES fireworks - and we moored 100 yards from where they were set off! Any other night and it would have been a great place to stop!

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

It was fresh and calm when I took Fizz out for a wander!

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

the mist lifted by the time we had had breakfast and headed for the winding hole!

IMG_2950.jpg

Darren - you were so right about it being shallow at the edge!

IMG_2971.jpg

A nice calm canal, with really nice canal-side houses!

IMG_2972.jpg

Mrs W pulled off the perfect about as we turned and headed to the maina. Nose gently into the bank (stone wall!) tiller right over, tick-over until the back swung around and pointed us in te right direction! B)

She did it so much better than my attempt at the other end! :lol:

So - back to the marina - just the weed islands to avoid!

This one was going to be difficult as it was wedged under the bridge!

IMG_2969.jpg

However - all was well. We took half of it with us and that split down the middle and slipped down the sides of the boat as we pressed on!

We did have an incident with another weed island a mile down the canal - but fortunately my camera had been packed by then! Bad situation - moored boats on the right, weed island in the middle, gap on the left! Unfortunately - it was shallow on the left and we got stuck! :angry:

Those helpful Yorkshire boaters to the right gave us a hand, and between us we got the boat moving again!

Back to the marina, past a long line of moored boats ON TICKOVER ;) with time to give the boat a wash and a hoover out!

And thats it!

All our cruising is over for another year! I think we may well have been spoilt this time though - the boat, the people and the canal have all been fantastic! Even the rain kept away (mostly) during the day!

IMG_2719-1.jpg

IMG_2720-1.jpg

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Good move,

Never spend the last night of any hire holiday at the hire base,

Waste of a night away in my view - just moor up within an hour or so and make your way to base in the morning. :cheers:

there just aren't enough Boat Inspectorate inspectors these days! Just one chap to cover the whole of Northern England - the one I saw was dashing from Bingley to Knaresbrough! I think he was off for a skive - there isnt even a canal at Knaresbrough! :cheers:

yeah but theres a river.

Wow! Those are great photos Gaz. I never saw the boat in it's full glory. I can't understand why CRT don't move it!

Because I believe they think it is a work of art.Have another look,it could have been in the Tate Modern,don't you think?